Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 23 lsv throttle backs itself down

Hey guys, 

2014 23 lsv 450 motor. Recently I’ve had an issue with going full or mostly full throttle for a few seconds, then the boat will slow itself down to 9-12 mph or so. I do not touch the throttle at all when this occurs. Service engine comes up but no codes are shown.

I did about a month ago get a code for 65566 fmi:1 data valid but below normal range. I decided to try cleaning the o2 sensors and that seems to have cleared up those codes. 

Any ideas what could be causing the boat to slow itself down? I can go 30 mph or so just fine, but anything maybe 35+ and it slows down. 

I was going to pull the fuel pump and take a look at the filter, thinking maybe its clogged up?

thanks for any input 

I had similar issues this summer (same boat and engine) and it was the fuel pump (technically it was the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel pump).

Edited by DAI
1 hour ago, DAI said:

I had similar issues this summer (same boat and engine) and it was the fuel pump (technically it was the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel pump).

Oh gotcha. I’d prefer it to be the regulator. It’s a little cheaper. Figured I’ll pull the pump anyway to check the filter and condition of the pump too. If it’s looking crappy I’ll just replace the whole thing. 

46 minutes ago, kwebster1 said:

Oh gotcha. I’d prefer it to be the regulator. It’s a little cheaper. Figured I’ll pull the pump anyway to check the filter and condition of the pump too. If it’s looking crappy I’ll just replace the whole thing. 

It’s a parts availability issue right now.  It was faster to get the full assembly.