Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 MXZ Super Charged 6.2L

I recently purchased this boat, I am somewhat mechanical but need to learn a lot about this engine and boat setup.  Before the I got the boat, the water was already drained and some hoses have been disconnected.  I am trying to put things back together so I can try running the engine.  While doing this I am noticing some things that I have questions about that I am hoping that someone can help me.  First...

On the top of my engine is a receptacle that is plugged into.  I don't know if something plugs in there, but I cannot find anything near that area, or is this for some option that this boat may not have?597263864_Connection1Picture.thumb.jpg.0406376c32ef95e644e958b26d542c67.jpg

134607593_LooseRelay.thumb.jpg.3f374600e8cb6998061d2241e2ff3d50.jpg

This appears to be a relay to me and it seems like it should be fixed somewhere but it is just floating around in this pile of wires.  Is it a relay?  If it is, what is it for?  Where should it be fastened?

Also, in the picture you can see a large mess of wires, they just float around rubbing each other, shouldn't these be fixed at various places so they are not rattling around or rubbing against things and possibly shorting out?

1839857260_ScrewDown1.thumb.jpg.6cbca87d31569305d8d7cc8b534001c6.jpg

What are these two tubes for?  It looks like they should be screwed down to be held in place, right now they move around and the one on the Port side has moved down quite a bit.  Shouldn't both of these be screwed down?

792318394_EngineTubePicture1.thumb.jpg.8a1b38768adb0b7a2500f2ff2c51644e.jpg

These two large tubes are disconnected.  Can someone please tell me what these tubes are connected to?  I am trying to learn, please be patient with me.

Spare.thumb.jpg.a12904c2b2a73891ec51e163f7ad133f.jpg

What is this Airmar and what does it do?  Why is there another piece tied to it?  Is it a spare?

Thank you for any advice/input.  I am anxious to learn more about this great engine & boat!

12 hours ago, MacSpeed said:

1839857260_ScrewDown1.thumb.jpg.6cbca87d31569305d8d7cc8b534001c6.jpg

What are these two tubes for?  It looks like they should be screwed down to be held in place, right now they move around and the one on the Port side has moved down quite a bit.  Shouldn't both of these be screwed down?

These should be for your ballast. They're vented loops so your ballast doesn't self-drain. They need to be kept higher than your ballast or it will drain.

The right side looks like it spilts at a Y?

The left side has a million hose clamps?

We are all going to want to know more of the story about this boat.

On your first photo, I have seen that same MAP sensor unplugged on other LSA engines so I don't think anything actually plugs into it.

I have also seen that same loose relay and wiring you described in your second photo.  It is either the relay for the intercooler water pump or the cabin heater circulation pump.  You can secure it if you want, but I have often seen them just bunched up with the wiring harness.

The tubes in your third photo are the vented loops for the rear ballast fill pumps.  They should be secured with a screw to the backside of the rear seatback.  Try to mount them as high as possible with the little threaded valve on it facing up.

The two large tubes in your fourth photo is the muffler.  The large orange exhaust hoses from the exhaust manifolds should be connected to it.

Your fifth photo is of the airmar paddle wheel for the speedometer and the emergency blank plug that is used if the paddle wheel becomes damaged to keep water from coming into the boat.

Thank you both for the input.  It is so nice to ask questions and get quick help, I appreciate it!

As far as my boat goes, I know it is a stupid thing to do but I live in Oregon and found the boat online in Michigan.  I had the owner sent pictures and videos of the boat and purchased it based on that.  It turns out his pictures and videos were sent in a lower resolution and maybe strategically positioned so that I wouldn't quite see some of the issues.  I think if I flew out and saw the boat in person, I probably would have still purchased it.  The next major thing to do is to start the engine, then hopefully this weekend is warmer and I can get it on the lake for a test run before winterizing it and storing it for the winter.

Thank you again for the information!

I would just make sure everything is plugged in and fluids are clean/ filled for now.

You can obviously tidy everything up after you winterize. I would have one person at the key and another looking the engine over when I start so they can shut it down asap if something is wrong.

good luck!