Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 VLX-Stereo redo

mtagher

Wanting to make some improvements to an older stereo setup in the off season.  Currently using a WS BT rocker switch that replaced a Sony head unit with 2x remotes.  The WS BT rocker is ok but I am thinking of going with the Fusion RA70 w/ wireless remote and possibly replacing some speakers.  Here is what I've currently got:

WS BT rocker

Amp 1:Rockville RXM-S20 driving 4 x Titan tower speakers (6.5" Maxxsonics)

Amp 2: Kicker ZX700.5 driving kicker sub under helm + 4 in boats: 2 x 6.5" Infinity 62m (dash) / 2 x 6.5" MTX TDX6502 (rear)

Currently run off of a single battery (with some noise issues that need to be resolved as well!)

What are some affordable speaker upgrades for in boats and tower?   Would like to use existing amps if possible, they seem decent.  Budget for speakers is <$700 for all if possible.  If nothing decent then would likely do in boats then tower later I think.

Any recommendations are appreciated!   

Thanks,

Marc

I would go from four 6.5 on the tower to two 8" or larger. Then bridge the 4 chnl into 2 chnl for 200W rms to each. Thats a 100W rms net gain overall to the tower, as well as an increase in mid-bass and sound quality. 

Thanks MLA.  I wasn’t expecting that recommendation.  if I don’t reuse the existing cans, that’ll eat into the budget for the 8”.  Still worth it? Which ones do you recommend? I was considering the kicker 6.5” component system that I think can use the existing cans for ~$350. KMS67C. 

Marc 

If you primary goal for a tower speaker is wake range projection, then moving from four 6.5" coaxials to those 6.5" HLCDs will certainly get the job done. But near-field sound quality will be diminished. 200W rms to each side is perfect fo rthat setup though. 

Priority would actually be in boat speakers I think.   Then tower.  Trouble hearing the in boats over engine as it stands.  For $700 I could replace both sets using the Kickers.  Or maybe the kickers mentioned aren’t the best fit for  in boats.  Thoughts? 

Edited by mtagher