Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What capacity pump to send antifreeze to engine?

I want to replicate this guys setup for winterization - pumping the antifreeze to my Indmar Sea Strainer Pro and then capturing it in a bucket under exhaust and recirculating it so it can run for a while and not make a big mess on my drive.. (video below)

My question is does anyone know what capacity gph the pump in the bucket needs to be to keep up with the engine demand at idle to 1500rpm?

Thanks

Most inboards are going to have an impeller sucking water up out of the lake... which is how your motor does not burn up while idling... if your goal is to bypass the impeller, then you need to worry about it burning up as it spins dry. So, really, all you need is to provide fluid to the water intake so the impeller can suck it up. If you could create a perfect connection from the intake to the bucket... fake-a-lake... your impeller should be able to move enough fluid to keep your boat cool... for a short time... at idle.

9 hours ago, Idamon said:

Most inboards are going to have an impeller sucking water up out of the lake... which is how your motor does not burn up while idling... if your goal is to bypass the impeller, then you need to worry about it burning up as it spins dry. So, really, all you need is to provide fluid to the water intake so the impeller can suck it up. If you could create a perfect connection from the intake to the bucket... fake-a-lake... your impeller should be able to move enough fluid to keep your boat cool... for a short time... at idle.

thanks for your reply - the flush valve is immediately after the raw water intake so it doesn't bypass the impeller - the issue is whether you can just drop a hose into a bucket and rely on the impeller to suck up enough water as needed or whether to use a pump to provide the water / antifreeze to it - and at what rate.  

was thinking I would run the bucket off 100pc anti-freeze until I came across this graph - seems that after 60pc anti-freeze, the freezing point starts climbing dramatically so 50pc looks the best...  

Graph of Freezing Point for Anti-Freeze and Water Mixture.jpg

Edited by Baz787
29 minutes ago, Baz787 said:

was thinking I would run the bucket off 100pc anti-freeze until I came across this graph - seems that after 60pc anti-freeze, the freezing point starts climbing dramatically so 50pc looks the best...  

Graph of Freezing Point for Anti-Freeze and Water Mixture.jpg

Is your chart based on the marine/RV antifreeze or the stuff you put in your truck?  

I have a harbor freight pump. It is overkill but I already owned it and it does the job. One hose in the bucket and then one going to the intake (or fake-a-lake if you're using that)

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-hp-cast-iron-transfer-pump-63316.html

One of their cheaper models should work fine too

13 hours ago, MacSpeed said:

Hello Pauley71,

Does that pump attach to a garden hose that can then connect to a fake a lake?  Or do you need additional fittings?

Thank you!

I made a hose using clear tube and put a hose fitting on it.  I store it all in the bucket as a 'kit'

5 hours ago, pauley71 said:

I made a hose using clear tube and put a hose fitting on it.  I store it all in the bucket as a 'kit'

Sounds great.  I ordered the pump from Amazon, I will get the fittings from a local hardware store.

Thank you for the advice!

22 hours ago, MacSpeed said:

Sounds great.  I ordered the pump from Amazon, I will get the fittings from a local hardware store.

Thank you for the advice!

If you have the flushpro like the guy in the video, there is a small lockout type device that you can put inside to hold it open so that it sucks from the hose input.  Sometimes there isn't enough pressure to trigger and you need to use that.