Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding Speed Control to 2000 Malibu Response LXi, failing gauges

I currently have manual speed operation only and the Tack works but sometimes fails, lost hours display but it came back 100 short,  Still recorded on the other gauge.  1 speedometer works occasionally.  I did find a site that provided new gauges and eliminates the control module, but it  includes a GPS speedometer.  If I am adding perfect pass or z box I would not need the speedometer.   I do not really need Zero Off as working on consistency running 15off @ 34.  I am mainly looking at my best option to set a consistent speed on an older boat without anything.  2000 Malibu Response LXi.  I can install myself, or with the help of some buddies.  I see I can get components for Perfect Pass and may be able to save some money as opposed to ordering directly, but I would need to know Part numbers.

Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated as I know there will be plenty of options provided.

Thanks and happy skiing!!!

If your search led you to Ron Tanis' skiboatpartsonline.com TRD conversion kit, he provides a "short kit" that excludes the speedo.  Or the tach.  Or adds whatever you want.  Call him.  As for Perfectpass, he might be able to get you a deal on it, too.

1 hour ago, Jmbh2oski said:

I currently have manual speed operation only and the Tack works but sometimes fails, lost hours display but it came back 100 short,  Still recorded on the other gauge.  1 speedometer works occasionally.  I did find a site that provided new gauges and eliminates the control module, but it  includes a GPS speedometer.  If I am adding perfect pass or z box I would not need the speedometer.   I do not really need Zero Off as working on consistency running 15off @ 34.  I am mainly looking at my best option to set a consistent speed on an older boat without anything.  2000 Malibu Response LXi.  I can install myself, or with the help of some buddies.  I see I can get components for Perfect Pass and may be able to save some money as opposed to ordering directly, but I would need to know Part numbers.

Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated as I know there will be plenty of options provided.

Thanks and happy skiing!!!

You can call Ron at skiboatpartsonline and see if he can build/get you a kit that only includes tach and multi-function gauge while omitting the speedo.

All you should need to do PP, you have.  Sometime around '00, Malibu started including a gray wire pigtail behind the dash that you could just hook into to get your RPM data from the engine.  If yours has that, this should be super easy.

@Bozboat @Eagleboy99 was there a "gray wire" to hook PP into on your 99s?  If so, presumably this '00 has that.  It's definitely on my '01.

@Jmbh2oski - PP is your best option and realistically only option, it was the gold standard for that era boat.  Zero Off is not offered for a non DBW pre '07 boat, you would have to do an engine conversion for that.

As for going the DIY PP route, it is possible, be prepared to do a lot of research and reading to get an understanding of what you need to buy and what you need to make.  You can go the scrounge for parts route - best options to find bits are:  ski-it-again, greatlakesskipper, and of course eBay.  I suggest spending time on the PP website to learn about and understand the evolution of the system from classic > stargazer and zbox.  Lots of great info on the PP site including diagrams of system components.  If you are on a budget, I wouldn't bother with z box and will say that adding speed control is probably the best investment you can make to your boat.  You will find a lot of your consistency was due to driver, speed control makes a big difference and be prepared to adapt your skiing to speed control.

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

You can call Ron at skiboatpartsonline and see if he can build/get you a kit that only includes tach and multi-function gauge while omitting the speedo.

All you should need to do PP, you have.  Sometime around '00, Malibu started including a gray wire pigtail behind the dash that you could just hook into to get your RPM data from the engine.  If yours has that, this should be super easy.

@Bozboat @Eagleboy99 was there a "gray wire" to hook PP into on your 99s?  If so, presumably this '00 has that.  It's definitely on my '01.

I have not found the gray wire, WoodyBC has the same boat and found it. So I think I just need to look more carefully 

Thanks for all the feedback!  I have seen PP parts on Greatlakesskipper.  I know there are some critical ones boat/engine specific so that is my dilemma.  I could go the easy route and order from PP site but that is about $1200.  Would love to shave a little off that since that is just above the recent new ski blank purchase price.  Still married but not sure how much more I can get approval for!  Lol

16 minutes ago, Jmbh2oski said:

Thanks for all the feedback!  I have seen PP parts on Greatlakesskipper.  I know there are some critical ones boat/engine specific so that is my dilemma.  I could go the easy route and order from PP site but that is about $1200.  Would love to shave a little off that since that is just above the recent new ski blank purchase price.  Still married but not sure how much more I can get approval for!  Lol

The trick here is to buy your better half a new ski.  Trust me - it works.  :) As for piece-mealing it, well, I hope it works for you but it might be more trouble than it is worth.

1 hour ago, Woodski said:

If you are on a budget, I wouldn't bother with z box and will say that adding speed control is probably the best investment you can make to your boat.

Even the most basic PP is better than a good driver.  Well, except for me.  ;) If you are hitting the course, then mostdef get full on speed control.

I added PP stargazer wake edition plus to my 2001 sunsetter last year and It was by far the best thing I ever did to the boat. So nice to have gps speed. I could literally put a buddy behind the wheel who had never driven a boat before and have a great ski. I recommend going directly to PP and just buy the whole system, buying bits and pieces here and there doesn't work all that well and you would probably end up spending more in the end.

1 hour ago, Jmbh2oski said:

PP is known as the "marriage saver". You're buying it because you love her.    :biggrin: 

• Like 3

+1, $1,200 is way cheaper than a divorce... in all seriousness, my wife dreaded when it was time to pull me. But with perfect pass she actually enjoys it, as do I. She can still rip my arms off, but if I can hold on through that, the pull is great!

• Like 2

I waited for years before adding perfect pass wake edition. After adding it, I would tell you that it should have been my first upgrade.  For justification go with it’s a safety feature. Having the speed handled let’s you look around and watch for boats and your rider. It’s for the kids.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1