Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 Hummer EV

ahopkins22LSV

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

What you said was that there were no "tax credits":  there are.  EOS.

I stand corrected.  I, like most people in the States, assumed you meant federal tax credits, which there are no more of for Teslas.  And last time I checked you'd be waiting a long time for one.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I am not sure how it fell flat on its face... they took max number of deposits for the first production year in 10 minutes. Sounds successful to me. There is no winning in planning for a rush like that. If they plan for 3 million hits, spend a ton preparing for it and then only get 1 million hits then they are crucified at work for incorrectly forecasting and budgeting. And the opposite for under forecasting and it crashing. 

You're missing what I'm saying entirely.  I'm not saying I was bummed the slots got spoken for before me, I'm saying its pee poor to not even have the IT infrastructure to get people's contact info!  On multiple devices I couldn't even give them my name and email to get to the reservation page!

If they spent as much preparing for a mass inquiry (which they WANTED  given their massive ad campaign to watch the reveal) as they did on paying Lebron, I have little sympathy for that mismanagement of resources when you can't even harvest the info you spent millions trying to get.

26 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Don't the Tesla rebates go away after a certain amount of units are sold (60,000?). Meaning the sales are already there if the rebates go away?

Steve B.

Ask eagle, he's the rebate/tax credit expert, but as for the federal tax credits, they're already over.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
8 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

You're missing what I'm saying entirely.  I'm not saying I was bummed the slots got spoken for before me, I'm saying its pee poor to not even have the IT infrastructure to get people's contact info!  On multiple devices I couldn't even give them my name and email to get to the reservation page!

If they spent as much preparing for a mass inquiry (which they WANTED  given their massive ad campaign to watch the reveal) as they did on paying Lebron, I have little sympathy for that mismanagement of resources when you can't even harvest the info you spent millions trying to get.

Glad we are both on the same page of missing each others point :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Glad we are both on the same page of missing each others point :thumbup:

Not to belabor, but I get what you're saying.  You're saying deposits on all build slots being gone in 10 minutes was a success.  They could have done that with a picture.  Instead, they hire Lebron, heavily invest in advertising a very impressive reveal.  And got out of it WAY less than they could and should have.  How many customer contacts did they NOT capture that night?  Obviously, a ton.  Filling deposits means NOTHING.  It's a $100 refundable deposit.  If someone at GM viewed that being the GOAL they need to have their head examined.  The goal SHOULD have been to get every bit of interested customer info to then CHEAPLY pump them full of more info and hype videos to CONVERT them when the time actually comes.  What do I know.  I don't have a degree in marketing or anything.  

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I am not sure how it fell flat on its face... they took max number of deposits for the first production year in 10 minutes. Sounds successful to me. There is no winning in planning for a rush like that. If they plan for 3 million hits, spend a ton preparing for it and then only get 1 million hits then they are crucified at work for incorrectly forecasting and budgeting. And the opposite for under forecasting and it crashing. 

2 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Not to belabor, but I get what you're saying.  You're saying deposits on all build slots being gone in 10 minutes was a success.  They could have done that with a picture.  Instead, they hire Lebron, heavily invest in advertising a very impressive reveal.  And got out of it WAY less than they could and should have.  How many customer contacts did they NOT capture that night?  Obviously, a ton.  Filling deposits means NOTHING.  It's a $100 refundable deposit.  If someone at GM viewed that being the GOAL they need to have their head examined.  The goal SHOULD have been to get every bit of interested customer info to then CHEAPLY pump them full of more info and hype videos to CONVERT them when the time actually comes.  What do I know.  I don't have a degree in marketing or anything.  

You are clinging to the point that I claimed it was successful because of the  and not paying attention to the point that I made that it is kind of impossible to accurately plan for a hyped rush on a website. If you disagree that is fine. Tens of thousands were able to get on the site just fine, maybe it had already crashed when you got on. I'd say the hype and the marketing worked, and yes their site crashed and they could have potentially planned for that better. We can't say that because we have no idea what the inner workings of it all was, why it crashed or any detail about it other than you not being able to put your information in.

5 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

You are clinging to the point that I claimed it was successful because of the  and not paying attention to the point that I made that it is kind of impossible to accurately plan for a hyped rush on a website. If you disagree that is fine. Tens of thousands were able to get on the site just fine, maybe it had already crashed when you got on. I'd say the hype and the marketing worked, and yes their site crashed and they could have potentially planned for that better. We can't say that because we have no idea what the inner workings of it all was, why it crashed or any detail about it other than you not being able to put your information in.

You're right, I don't know "what happened", but I don't care.  Was an epic failure to not put more explicitly interested people in the pipeline to whom they could reach much more easily and cheaply had it not failed.  I'm not as forgiving of that.  Shows complete mismanagement of resources.  They didn't run the video by focus groups and see they'd have everyone and their mother trying to throw their information at them?  If not, that's 101 type fail.  I get big business is different than small business, but its the same as a small business spending $20,000 on an ad campaign and not hiring enough people to answer phones.   

3 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Ask eagle, he's the rebate/tax credit expert, but as for the federal tax credits, they're already over.

Yes, they sold 200,000 units and at that time the tax credits ceased as contracted. https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/07/tesla-sold-200000-cars-in-the-us-so-the-7500-tax-credit-is-going-away/

As far as the looks, I like it. It retains the Hummer look with more modern styling, especially that interior. 

Steve B.

@85 Barefoot You said "In US, there is no more tax credit for Tesla purchases." Simply untrue.  While Federal incentives are gone, about half the states have EV incentives that apply irrespective of the car brand.  (And try not to confuse attributions:  Sagan and hawking are two different people)

20 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

@85 Barefoot You said "In US, there is no more tax credit for Tesla purchases." Simply untrue.  While Federal incentives are gone, about half the states have EV incentives that apply irrespective of the car brand.  (And try not to confuse attributions:  Sagan and hawking are two different people)

This is also not a true statement. Federal EV credits do exist still in the US. They are based on total EV sales for each automaker.

Definitely some cool stuff on that truck.  Still not a fan of electric charging times.  In our family, the truck is the long hauler.  Until battery packs are universal and swappable, I'd be hard pressed to buy an electric truck.

Now, my wife's run-around-town SUV...  That one would be a perfect electric swap candidate.

On 10/30/2020 at 1:33 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

Did you miss my post already acknowledging that I assumed you were referring to federal credits?  Because, for most Americans, that's what we refer to.  We understand that how different states handle themselves has no bearing on those in others.  Concept known as states' rights.  

Well aware of differences of Hawking and Sagan.

6 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Did you miss my post already acknowledging that I assumed you were referring to federal credits?  Because, for most Americans, that's what we refer to.  We understand that how different states handle themselves has no bearing on those in others.  Concept known as states' rights.  

Well aware of differences of Hawking and Sagan.

They both are on wheels most of the time, but Sagan is a sprinter -  right?

• Like 1