Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 Hummer EV

ahopkins22LSV

That’s why the only electric car that has any resale is Tesla. Any other brand takes a huge hit. A 2 year old Chevy Bolt looses half its value 

Edited by surfdude
57 minutes ago, surfdude said:

That’s why the only electric car that has any resale is Tesla. Any other brand takes a huge hit. A 2 year old Chevy Bolt looses half its value 

I'm waiting for more competitors in the plug in SUV market.   Until then I'll live with my 8 year old X5.

They'll get cheaper and better.

9 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

I'm waiting for more competitors in the plug in SUV market.   Until then I'll live with my 8 year old X5.

They'll get cheaper and better.

The next 2-3 years about a half dozen different brands will have EV’s in this space hit this market.  I’ll wait as well and keep nursing the current SUV along.

8 minutes ago, dlb said:

The next 2-3 years about a half dozen different brands will have EV’s in this space hit this market.  I’ll wait as well and keep nursing the current SUV along.

I'm still keen on the Rav4 Prime PHEV - but none are to be had up here for probably two years.

I think we are on the right track with electric vehicles, but there is a ton of work yet to be done before it makes sense. Cali has the most work ahead. When I lived in Pasadena we had rolling blackouts in the summer. That was ~15 years ago, so maybe they’ve improved. But imagine putting more demand on an already super stressed system. Or the folks that had their power turned off due to fire risk. What would they do? I know electrical isn’t for everyone, but sure sounds like that’s what Cali government thinks.

Edited by BlindSquirrel
4 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

I think we are on the right track with electric vehicles, but there is a ton of work yet to be done before it makes sense. Cali has the most work ahead. When I lived in Pasadena we had rolling blackouts in the summer. That was ~15 years ago, so maybe they’ve improved. But imagine putting more demand on an already super stressed system. Or the folks that had their power turned off due to fire risk. What would they do? I know electrical isn’t for everyone, but sure sounds like that’s what Cali government thinks.

:lol:      They have not!  

• Haha 2

I put in a reservation on the new Hummer, but if GM does not have a charging network built out then that’s a deal killer for me. Have to credit Tesla for the free charging and locations every 150 miles or so on the interstates. Otherwise the vehicle is like owning a bad a** laptop you can only charge at home. 

10 hours ago, Cipro said:

I put in a reservation on the new Hummer, but if GM does not have a charging network built out then that’s a deal killer for me. Have to credit Tesla for the free charging and locations every 150 miles or so on the interstates. Otherwise the vehicle is like owning a bad a** laptop you can only charge at home. 

My father owns a Tesla, and I’m pretty sure the charging stations are not free.  I believe, but could be wrong, they read an identifier attached to your car and your account get charged.  

1 hour ago, DAI said:

My father owns a Tesla, and I’m pretty sure the charging stations are not free.  I believe, but could be wrong, they read an identifier attached to your car and your account get charged.  

Correct. https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging

Seems silly that there isn't a charging standard?  It's like having 10 different kinds of gas pump handles and needing to go to the gas station with the handle that fits your car.

IIRC Volkswagen is building out a charging network as well, as part of the dieselgate settlement?

• Like 2

Been looking over the Hummer a bit more and just wanted to say that I think it looks pretty sweet overall. I love that you can take the top off. And the way the cargo bed looks designed is reminiscent of the Avalanche (which was a really useful design if not very popular). Unfortunately this is not in our price range :cry:

Back when GM was building out the hybrid Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade, @SunriseH2OSkier was involved heavily and had some really cool insights.  I believe he's sold his Malibu and doesn't really hang out here anymore, but I tagged him in the event he does and might have some cool info nuggets on this supertruck.

• Like 2

Its got some nice options but I am not going to go beat a 100,000 dollar truck off road. I would get the new Bronco if I was an off road guy. Still an interesting vehicle.

7 hours ago, Cipro said:

My charging is free, tell him to negotiate better at the time of purchase :) 

Mine too. It used to be free for life for everyone. Unfortunately it’s no longer offered for new purchases. Same thing with the internet service. 

Edited by Philip
7 hours ago, Philip said:

Mine too. It used to be free for life for everyone. Unfortunately it’s no longer offered for new purchases. Same thing with the internet service. 

TANSTAAFL.  Wait until the true cost is downloaded onto drivers.  And when the subsidies dry up, so will sales.

On 10/27/2020 at 11:56 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

TANSTAAFL.  Wait until the true cost is downloaded onto drivers.  And when the subsidies dry up, so will sales.

Can you elaborate?  In US, there is no more tax credit for Tesla purchases.  As for Tesla itself, government subsidies are more directed at factory and land use issues than a per unit subsidy for price.  And most of that is local and state tax credits.  Tesla borrowed about .5 B and paid it back almost 10 years early.  Market cap is 385 BILLION.  A Billion in subsidies here or there means jack to the final price people pay.  Their sales are going nowhere but up...as they've shown.

• Like 2
On 10/21/2020 at 5:44 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

1000HP, 11,500ft/lbs torque and 10 minutes to charge for 100 mile range and an estimated 350 mile range. Who ordered one last night? I was told by some friends at GM that the site had crashed and the first years of production sold out in 10 minutes. It sounds very impressive. Batteries are definitely coming a long way. 

https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev

Cool vehicle.  I tried to reserve during the reveal.  Couldn't.  Fields didn't work, etc.  Thought my computer was the problem.  Tried phone.  No bueno.  ipad?  nope.  Typical GM.  Reminded me why I swore to never own another GM after I'm done with my current yukon denali.

And just to clarify, they haven't "sold" a single unit yet.  They merely filled deposits on production slots: a mere $100, refundable, deposit.  You couldn't "order" anything.  Bronco-mania fueled that in my opinion as they did the same thing.  While I have no doubt they'll sell what they build the first year, its not like there were 50,000 people who have handed their money over.  

ahopkins22LSV
18 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Cool vehicle.  I tried to reserve during the reveal.  Couldn't.  Fields didn't work, etc.  Thought my computer was the problem.  Tried phone.  No bueno.  ipad?  nope.  Typical GM.  Reminded me why I swore to never own another GM after I'm done with my current yukon denali.

And just to clarify, they haven't "sold" a single unit yet.  They merely filled deposits on production slots: a mere $100, refundable, deposit.  You couldn't "order" anything.  Bronco-mania fueled that in my opinion as they did the same thing.  While I have no doubt they'll sell what they build the first year, its not like there were 50,000 people who have handed their money over.  

OK so technically wrong words, but whatever - it still generated that much interest and response. And great point about a website being over run. Very good point.. That would be like writing off an artist because you couldn't get in to their pre-sale for a concert because there was that much interest.... Come on man.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

OK so technically wrong words, but whatever - it still generated that much interest and response. And great point about a website being over run. Very good point.. That would be like writing off an artist because you couldn't get in to their pre-sale for a concert because there was that much interest.... Come on man.

Anyone who remotely follows cars knew about that reveal.  I literally got fed an ad for it 30 times a day.  TFL was running live link.  etc. etc.  There is a HUGE difference in planning by failing to have a functioning system to harvest email addresses and customer info (which didn't work, for me, after 30 attempts on 3 devices) and running out of "slots" (or in your example, selling out a concert).  Tesla have that problem for supertruck reveal deposits?  Nope.  Ford and Bronco reveal deposits crash their site?  YES.  GM should have been on notice.  What's the point of hyping a reveal like this and fall flat on your face when it comes to CONVERSION.  It couldn't even GET my and many other customers' info.  For the record I'm writing it off not due to the website issues but because of my recent experiences with GM.  Whatevs.  I'm sure they'll sell.  They're not worried about my customer info anyway (obviously).  Cool truck, cool reveal, I hope they get it right.  

1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

In US, there is no more tax credit for Tesla purchases.

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/eligible-vehicles#:~:text=Administered by CSE for the California Air Resources Board%2C the,in hybrid light-duty vehicles.  There are others, but I am too lazy to Googlefish for them. Up here it is worse with some places having both federal and provincial  cash rebates (which BTW are way more than tax credits).  It is also why  finding some vehicles (RAV4 Prime for instance) is impossible in other than Quebec and BC.

6 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/eligible-vehicles#:~:text=Administered by CSE for the California Air Resources Board%2C the,in hybrid light-duty vehicles.  There are others, but I am too lazy to Googlefish for them. Up here it is worse with some places having both federal and provincial  cash rebates (which BTW are way more than tax credits).  It is also why  finding some vehicles (RAV4 Prime for instance) is impossible in other than Quebec and BC.

So, in California, Tesla makes 2 cars eligible for $2,000 in rebate per your link.  Some others at $2,000 and more at $1,000.  You believe that when that goes away sales will dry up?  Can't say I share your opinion.  Can't speak for Canada.  

27 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

So, in California, Tesla makes 2 cars eligible for $2,000 in rebate per your link.  Some others at $2,000 and more at $1,000.  You believe that when that goes away sales will dry up?  Can't say I share your opinion.  Can't speak for Canada.  

What you said was that there were no "tax credits":  there are.  EOS.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Anyone who remotely follows cars knew about that reveal.  I literally got fed an ad for it 30 times a day.  TFL was running live link.  etc. etc.  There is a HUGE difference in planning by failing to have a functioning system to harvest email addresses and customer info (which didn't work, for me, after 30 attempts on 3 devices) and running out of "slots" (or in your example, selling out a concert).  Tesla have that problem for supertruck reveal deposits?  Nope.  Ford and Bronco reveal deposits crash their site?  YES.  GM should have been on notice.  What's the point of hyping a reveal like this and fall flat on your face when it comes to CONVERSION.  It couldn't even GET my and many other customers' info.  For the record I'm writing it off not due to the website issues but because of my recent experiences with GM.  Whatevs.  I'm sure they'll sell.  They're not worried about my customer info anyway (obviously).  Cool truck, cool reveal, I hope they get it right.  

I am not sure how it fell flat on its face... they took max number of deposits for the first production year in 10 minutes. Sounds successful to me. There is no winning in planning for a rush like that. If they plan for 3 million hits, spend a ton preparing for it and then only get 1 million hits then they are crucified at work for incorrectly forecasting and budgeting. And the opposite for under forecasting and it crashing. 

• Like 1