Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 Hummer EV

ahopkins22LSV

14 minutes ago, surfdude said:

I see that California has no fees. Where are they going to get the highway/ road money from, when their all electric vehicle mandate kicks in? Better yet where are they gonna get all the power and infrastructure from to run all these vehicles?

In 2035, California will no longer allow the sale of new gas/diesel vehicles... good question.. 

Edited by kerpluxal
8 hours ago, justgary said:

The torque numbers don't seem absurd to me.  Electric motors generate maximum torque when they are not moving and less torque as they move faster. 

10 minutes for a 100-mile recharge seems about normal.  If charge is relatively linear, that would be around 35 minutes for 350 miles.

I thought that GM sold the Hummer brand to China (making it "Chummer")?

High speed charging on EVs is currently not linear. They charge much faster when empty and slow down substantially as they approach full. 

Also, those range estimates are not while towing. Range will be terrible when towing and trying to pull into a charging station with a boat hooked up would be a nightmare if not impossible depending on how it’s setup.  I can’t think of many if any Tesla charging stations I’ve been to that would accommodate a trailer.

I love my Model S as a daily driver, but I wouldn't want and EV for a tow vehicle even though the torque is amazing.It will be a long time before other car companies get the charging infrastructure in place to even consider charging on a road trip anyway. 

• Like 2

I think the truck looks great and has great features.  Now, if they can get it to 350 mile range while towing, I'm in.  Anything less than that, and it wont work for how/where I use my truck.

33 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

In 2035, California will no longer allow the sale of new gas/diesel vehicles... good question.. 

Politicians don't have to take any sort of IQ test to get elected.  That's really sad.

Normally, it is large companies that go through a "Bozo* Explosion," where they wind up with so many clueless managers that they lose all hope of market effectiveness.  It is interesting to watch an entire state go through one.

*Sorry to all of the real Bozo the Clown actors, you were good at what you did.  So good that your name is now used in a derogatory way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
49 minutes ago, surfdude said:

I see that California has no fees. Where are they going to get the highway/ road money from, when their all electric vehicle mandate kicks in? Better yet where are they gonna get all the power and infrastructure from to run all these vehicles?

As a Californian I am truly embarrassed with who and how our state is ran.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

That depends on which country (or state) you are talking about and how you define "subsidized."   For example:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bjornlomborg/2020/01/17/the-imfs-huge-miscalculation-of-energy-subsidies/#202a76a64b42

I would take what Lomborg says with a grain of salt. He has used cherry picked figures in the past to make weird claims about EVs. I imagine he might do the same regarding energy subsidies of fossil fuels.

1 hour ago, LateNightSalami said:

I would take what Lomborg says with a grain of salt. He has used cherry picked figures in the past to make weird claims about EVs. I imagine he might do the same regarding energy subsidies of fossil fuels.

My basic point is before we talk about subsidies we need to agree on what the word means and who we are talking about.  The word gets tossed around a lot and I have seen folks on both sides of the issue play pretty fast and loose with the definition.  

• Like 2
On 10/21/2020 at 2:09 PM, jhartt3 said:

And gas isnt already subsidized?  

corn as ethanol is subsidized by mandates

how is gas itself subsidized? petroleum distillates are pretty much cold hard free enterprise capitalism , demand supply

people think oil is subsidized by the well reserve depletion deduction but its really no different than depreciation 

Edited by granddaddy55
39 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

corn as ethanol is subsidized by mandates

how is gas itself subsidized? petroleum distillates are pretty much cold hard free enterprise capitalism , demand supply

people think oil is subsidized by the well reserve depletion deduction but its really no different than depreciation 

To start with I have no problem with the subsidies, but you asked how gas is subsidized. Besides the numerous tax breaks oil and gas companies enjoy, they also receive discounted leases on federal land. For example there is currently a grant refunding some of the cost of leasing federal land. Not to mention any of our foreign affairs in the Middle East...

17 minutes ago, Wolflake said:

To start with I have no problem with the subsidies, but you asked how gas is subsidized. Besides the numerous tax breaks oil and gas companies enjoy, they also receive discounted leases on federal land. For example there is currently a grant refunding some of the cost of leasing federal land. Not to mention any of our foreign affairs in the Middle East...

those tax breaks you are referring to are depletion, which again is the same as depreciation  , these companies pay corporate tax they pass down to us but are reduced by depletion deductions which lowers our price because we are paying less of their built in to the price lowered corporate tax

who was paying the non discounted lease rents😂🤣🤓?

name a drop of oil produced/bought/sold  from the middle east that was a result of foreign affairs ,  only time its cheaper is when aramco decides  to turn on the spicket full blast.  we only benefited from that once and again now when the elder bush got the saudis to wreck the soviet economy which hurt our local oil companies profitability (ruined the Louisiana oil exploration snd production  ) gave the consumer/boater in the 80’s 50 cent premium gas 

and the current pumping is hurting oil production and exploration especially after recovering and kicking *** from Obama’s lease regulatory environment

free enterprise at work on the saudis increased production to kill their biggest competitor , US

Edited by granddaddy55
53 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

those tax breaks you are referring to are depletion, which again is the same as depreciation  , these companies pay corporate tax they pass down to us but are reduced by depletion deductions which lowers our price because we are paying less of their built in to the price lowered corporate tax

who was paying the non discounted lease rents😂🤣🤓?

name a drop of oil produced/bought/sold  from the middle east that was a result of foreign affairs ,  only time its cheaper is when aramco decides  to turn on the spicket full blast.  we only benefited from that once and again now when the elder bush got the saudis to wreck the soviet economy which hurt our local oil companies profitability (ruined the Louisiana oil exploration snd production  ) gave the consumer/boater in the 80’s 50 cent premium gas 

and the current pumping is hurting oil production and exploration especially after recovering and kicking *** from Obama’s lease regulatory environment

free enterprise at work on the saudis increased production to kill their biggest competitor , US

Obviously you didn’t pick up on the foreign affairs comment let me be more direct. The us military protects shipping lanes and oil. The annual cost of the military being there doing so is astronomical. Not to mention the wars...

Now on to tax breaks, depletion is just one of many tax breaks oil and gas companies receive. For some reason you are stuck on that one. 

Finally you make a fair point about who else would lease that land. From a logical perspective that makes sense, however from a financial perspective it is still a discount and subsidy. A large % of private land is leased to oil and gas companies. This land has no value other then the value of the gas, but no discounts are given there. 

Edited by Wolflake
Grammar
ahopkins22LSV

So anyway.. back to the topic. This is the first electric vehicle that perked my ears. It still isn’t what I’d buy but it’s definitely getting there. One range and recharging continue to improve its going to make a lot of sense. Charging is stupid cheap and the technology is advancing like crazy. I have multiple friends who have worked on this vehicle and electrical charging infrastructure in general. It’s going to be getting real good real quick. 

I was talking with one of them yesterday and it was like I got hit in the face with a baseball bat. I stopped mid conversation and said, “wait, I work for a company that designs and manufactures exhaust systems for internal combustion engines...”

• Like 2

Still, if you look at the statistics, the electricity will come from carbon power,  right now,  60%,I’m sure at some point it won’t be. I’ve looked at the pay back, not realistic right now. Plus, look at the resale on hybrid/ electric vehicles right now. Huge hit!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, surfdude said:

Still, if you look at the statistics, the electricity will come from carbon power,  right now,  60%,I’m sure at some point it won’t be. I’ve looked at the pay back, not realistic right now. Plus, look at the resale on hybrid/ electric vehicles right now. Huge hit!

Tesla's hold value better than any automobile right now outside of boats during covid19. 

11 hours ago, surfdude said:

Totally agree with this statement. 

Another issue that doesn't get much attention is the environmental impact of EV's.  Yes, they're green.  However the environmental impact in sourcing the raw materials is tremendous.  

Yes, the charging infrastructure is well underway.  As you suggest however, most of the power demand is fed by carbon and I don't see that changing anytime soon.  Until nukes become more prevalent, this will remain true.  Renewable energy lacks the ability to produce as effectively or quickly as would be necessary to support a total EV environment in many parts of the country.

Nonetheless, it's a cool vehicle, IMO.  

On 10/22/2020 at 10:01 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

So anyway.. back to the topic. This is the first electric vehicle that perked my ears. It still isn’t what I’d buy but it’s definitely getting there. One range and recharging continue to improve its going to make a lot of sense. Charging is stupid cheap and the technology is advancing like crazy. I have multiple friends who have worked on this vehicle and electrical charging infrastructure in general. It’s going to be getting real good real quick. 

I was talking with one of them yesterday and it was like I got hit in the face with a baseball bat. I stopped mid conversation and said, “wait, I work for a company that designs and manufactures exhaust systems for internal combustion engines...”

Not only is the charging infrastructure really popping up but home solar (roof top or otherwise) prices are increasingly affordable and are making more sense financially. Combine a whole home system with an electric vehicle like this and not only are you reducing your energy costs and travel costs (no gas) but if you set it up right you can be powered even when the grid goes down.

Hopefully your company sees the future and starts expanding their part designs. I imagine the skills to make a good exhaust (CAD and manufacturing) can still be used in other parts for other cars. Also, I highly doubt ICEs will be phased out completely in our lifetime. They will still have their uses for a long while.

On 10/23/2020 at 11:25 AM, Slayer said:

Until nukes become more prevalent, this will remain true.  Renewable energy lacks the ability to produce as effectively or quickly as would be necessary to support a total EV environment in many parts of the country.

Nonetheless, it's a cool vehicle, IMO.  

Ironically, if we do figure out Nuclear Fusion that might actually save the oil industry. We would no longer be drilling for oil but rather using carbon capture techniques to pull it from the air and make it. Then gasoline would end up being net 0 carbon. The problem with those techniques is they are very energy intensive themselves but Fusion is basically limitless free energy (at least on the scales of our current civilization) so that would no longer be a problem. Fusion would make gasoline from carbon capture feasible and economical. Not saying that is exactly where it would end up since who knows where it would take us but if any of you really want to save the ICE then root for Fusion.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, LateNightSalami said:

Ironically, if we do figure out Nuclear Fusion that might actually save the oil industry. We would no longer be drilling for oil but rather using carbon capture techniques to pull it from the air and make it. Then gasoline would end up being net 0 carbon. The problem with those techniques is they are very energy intensive themselves but Fusion is basically limitless free energy (at least on the scales of our current civilization) so that would no longer be a problem. Fusion would make gasoline from carbon capture feasible and economical. Not saying that is exactly where it would end up since who knows where it would take us but if any of you really want to save the ICE then root for Fusion.

I just don't.  <sigh>

• Like 1
On 10/21/2020 at 12:53 PM, surfdude said:

Electric vehicles need to pay some kind of tax for road and highway budget . Currently the gas tax pays this, and they get off Scott free!

Been driving an all electric for 3 years. My wheel tax ( registration sticker) is 10X what my traditional gas cars get charged.  I am in TN.

38 minutes ago, Cipro said:

Been driving an all electric for 3 years. My wheel tax ( registration sticker) is 10X what my traditional gas cars get charged.  I am in TN.

In WA they are testing out "tax per mile driven" with a nanny device attached to the car.  Of course (being an ultra-liberal state) they don't plan to repeal our high gas tax, they will just charge ICE drivers both the fuel tax plus the "miles driven" tax.