Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 Hummer EV

ahopkins22LSV

ahopkins22LSV

1000HP, 11,500ft/lbs torque and 10 minutes to charge for 100 mile range and an estimated 350 mile range. Who ordered one last night? I was told by some friends at GM that the site had crashed and the first years of production sold out in 10 minutes. It sounds very impressive. Batteries are definitely coming a long way. 

https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev

• Like 1

I have to say,  the torque value for the truck...is it multiplied torque as in having the truck in 4wd, in 4-low.  Over the road diesels Cummins , Detroit, Cat run about 1800 to 2000 ft-lbs. We all know the drive train components for big rig trucks are massive. And that is 1/5 of thetorque of the EV. Something doesn't add up.

Couple thoughts

1) First impression was - they made a bronco pickup truck

2) They are bringing back Quadrasteer?  

3) Underbody cameras?  They seem to be marketing this enormous truck as an offroad vehicle?

4) Removable roof and rear drop glass looks great

5) The torque numbers make absolutely no sense - are the off by a decimal place?

6) Wonder what the weight is in this thing

Still not in the market, even if I could afford a 111K pickup truck

Edited by oldjeep

Torque specs are towing capacity? 0 to 60 in 3 seconds ! Interesting also that the big boy version will be the first of their line-up out the gates.

Honestly, the price doesn't seem too awfully bad if it performs as shown.

quick edit: I need this truck

Steve B.

Edited by Steve B.
must have

The torque numbers don't seem absurd to me.  Electric motors generate maximum torque when they are not moving and less torque as they move faster. 

10 minutes for a 100-mile recharge seems about normal.  If charge is relatively linear, that would be around 35 minutes for 350 miles.

I thought that GM sold the Hummer brand to China (making it "Chummer")?

11 minutes ago, justgary said:

I thought that GM sold the Hummer brand to China (making it "Chummer")?

Interesting - yes in 2009

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113668721#:~:text=GM Sells Hummer Brand To Chinese Company General Motors Co,Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Co.

But never actually happened

http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1967957,00.html

Edited by oldjeep
5 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

1000HP, 11,500ft/lbs torque and 10 minutes to charge for 100 mile range and an estimated 350 mile range. Who ordered one last night? I was told by some friends at GM that the site had crashed and the first years of production sold out in 10 minutes. It sounds very impressive. Batteries are definitely coming a long way. 

https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev

This is a super cool truck!  I really like it and it's feature set is impressive.  

However, the torque numbers are a bit misleading.  That's torque output but not what's getting to the ground so to speak.  I think the numbers work out to be more like 1,000 lb/ft to the ground.  The 11,500 is not an inaccurate number, though.  It's measured in wheel torque, as I understand it.  

Either way, it's awesome and electrification is here to stay yet I still don't see it as a replacement for the internal combustion engine.  Different discussion, though.   In looking at the new electric trucks coming to market, several are very impressive.  The challenge is what happens when you put a 23 LSV behind it and want to run 500+ miles one way for a week vacation with the boat?  Under that load, I presume the range is quickly depleted but GM's new battery technology may effect this to some degree.  Not sure though.  

7 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Looks like a Honda Pilot on steroids.

Ridgeline ;)   Although I'd say more like a resurrection of an Avalanche in terms of the integrated bed

Edited by oldjeep

again where are these massive real estate parking lots where everyone sits for their 35 minute charge ( if it is even that short) Real estate ain't cheap 

i hope electric fails because refiners will stop inventorying gas and spot refine to the demand and prices will sky rocket

22 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

again where are these massive real estate parking lots where everyone sits for their 35 minute charge ( if it is even that short) Real estate ain't cheap 

i hope electric fails because refiners will stop inventorying gas and spot refine to the demand and prices will sky rocket

To some extent the infrastructure is already popping up.  While it isn't super practical to take them on long trips, there are a lot of charging stations in parking garages and private businesses.  So using them as a commuting vehicle even for long commutes is getting easier.   One thing I did see this weekend that I thought was funny was that the resort I was staying at up north had 2 chargers in the parking lot. This is in  the middle of nowhere northern MN 100 miles from the canadian border and there was a pretty good flow of Tesla vehicles and some dodge plug in minivans rotating through those 2 parking spots all day during the 4 days we were there (good thing hippies cooperate). 

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, surfdude said:

Electric vehicles need to pay some kind of tax for road and highway budget . Currently the gas tax pays this, and they get off Scott free!

I couldn't agree more with this statement.  Currently they're subsidized rather than taxed.  

24 minutes ago, surfdude said:

Electric vehicles need to pay some kind of tax for road and highway budget . Currently the gas tax pays this, and they get off Scott free!

Depends on the state, but in Michigan you pay road tax via annual license plate renewal. Plus you have a higher value vehicle which equates to a higher tax levied annually. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, surfdude said:

Currently MN has a $75 annual tax for EV's that goes into the road fund.  Some of the republicans have been pushing a bill that ups the tax to $250 for EV and $125 for Hybrids.

I'm pretty much on board with this.  I really liked how GMC tried to keep some of the elements of the appearance of the H2/H3, but made it updated.  I have owned both H2 & H3 at the same time, and still have the H2.  I did miss out on the Edition 1 reservation, but did put in for the next trim coming out in Fall 2022.

Curious how towing will train the battery range.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Slayer said:

I couldn't agree more with this statement.  Currently they're subsidized rather than taxed.  

And gas isnt already subsidized?  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Slayer said:

Either way, it's awesome and electrification is here to stay yet I still don't see it as a replacement for the internal combustion engine.  Different discussion, though.   In looking at the new electric trucks coming to market, several are very impressive.  The challenge is what happens when you put a 23 LSV behind it and want to run 500+ miles one way for a week vacation with the boat?  Under that load, I presume the range is quickly depleted but GM's new battery technology may effect this to some degree.  Not sure though.  

Yes range will be a problem until we can solve the energy density problem of current battery technology. Solid state batteries have the potential to increase the energy density by about 2.5x. Which would improve current ranges from 350mi to about 875mi. Now even under load we are getting into ranges that would allow bigger trips to happen. Been keeping an eye out for this for a while.

22 minutes ago, jhartt3 said:

And gas isnt already subsidized?  

Never said that.  I was simply addressing taxation and pointing out that the EV's themselves are subsidized.  AFAIK, other than what @oldjeep said, there's no tax on EV's to support road maintenance in the manner in which gas and diesel is taxed.  The intent of some of the taxation, at least in our state, is to fund road repairs and road construction.  Perhaps there are other states doing something similar to MN, but I've not investigated it at all.

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

Never said that.  I was simply addressing taxation and pointing out that the EV's themselves are subsidized.  AFAIK, other than what @oldjeep said, there's no tax on EV's to support road maintenance in the manner in which gas and diesel is taxed.  The intent of some of the taxation, at least in our state, is to fund road repairs and road construction.  Perhaps there are other states doing something similar to MN, but I've not investigated it at all.

Looks like a lot of states have some sort of fee

https://electrek.co/2019/12/27/get-ready-for-more-states-to-charge-ev-fees-in-2020/#:~:text=The list of states with,Utah%2C Virginia%2C Washington%2C West

I see that California has no fees. Where are they going to get the highway/ road money from, when their all electric vehicle mandate kicks in? Better yet where are they gonna get all the power and infrastructure from to run all these vehicles?

• Like 2