Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding weights to 2020 25' LSV

Lakeway

Anyone have any experience with adding weight to a 2020 25' LSV?  I usually have 4-5 people on the boat and can never really get anyone up front.  Goofy side is great, but really trying to improve the regular side.  I have nine 50lb sacs that just arrived.  Any suggestions?

I had 10 lead bags in my 2020 25 LSV.  I placed them as follows:

4 - directly under the OB seat

3 - very front of the amp compartment (load from the bow side, just beneath the bow access seat back)

3 - in the front of the walk thru (just before the bow).  when nobody was sitting in the bow, I'd move these three all the way forward in the bow.

Then, when we surf, I also leave the non-surf side real ballast at 75% (i.e. set your profiles accordingly).

So basically, I had 350 lbs. on the port side and 150 lbs. in the walk thru / bow (i.e. centered).  Nothing on the starboard side.  

Try it and see what you think?

I was not as aggressive as some are with the lead.  On my 2019, I had 250 pounds of lead.  I was able to wedge 2 bags right behind the batteries in the bow, then 2 bags in very front of the amp compartment, and 1 along the port side in the 'coffin' as I called it, about midship.  I thought it was awesome and definitely improved the wave.  

I was especially proud of myself for being able to get those 2 bags behind the batteries so that I didn't have to have any laying in the walkway.  It was not super easy, and I had to sort of gorilla the lead bag with one arm while holding battery cables to the side with the other, then sliding them into place behind the batteries.  

Edited by TallRedRider
  • Like 2
37 minutes ago, IXFE said:

3 - very front of the amp compartment (load from the bow side, just beneath the bow access seat back)

3 - in the front of the walk thru (just before the bow).  when nobody was sitting in the bow, I'd move these three all the way forward in the bow.

Then, when we surf, I also leave the non-surf side real ballast at 75% (i.e. set your profiles accordingly).

So basically, I had 350 lbs. on the port side and 150 lbs. in the walk thru / bow (i.e. centered).  Nothing on the starboard side.  

What was the result when you did that?  Clean wave on Surf Left?  I usually run at 10.8 with wedge at 2.  If I set any higher it is instantly washed out.  What are you running with that weight set up?

2 minutes ago, Lakeway said:

What was the result when you did that?  Clean wave on Surf Left?  I usually run at 10.8 with wedge at 2.  If I set any higher it is instantly washed out.  What are you running with that weight set up?

HAHAHA....I feel a picture coming on.  

@lakeway, if you have a 25 LSV and your wake is not good, then you've done something very wrong.  

Edited by TallRedRider
58 minutes ago, Lakeway said:

Result was a better wave on the port side.  

I never run as slow as 10.8 though.  We ride 11.2 typically.  Wedge at 2 - 3. 

• Like 2

In my 2019 25 lsv, we have an excellent regular side wave. I put 350 lbs on the port side evenly distributed below the seats, but most of it near the transon. Then on the starboard side, I have 150 lbs towards the rear of the boat. In the battery comparment, I put 100 lbs. Next season, I plan on adding just a little more. 

46 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Here’s the only pic I have to share 😜

F7143708-B71A-417B-8A28-1B448012C515.jpeg

I was expecting a beautiful wave, but whatever.  

Speeding up is good for the wave.  I think we were usually at 11.2 as well.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, IXFE said:

This is very similar to our set-up on our 19, but same hull. 

400 lbs of lead, 100 in the walkway like @IXFE posted, and 300 in he amp area, as he noted as well.

Our crew is typically 5, and we usually run at 11.2 or 11.4 wedge 2 or 3 clicks from ramp.

We have tried to drain ballast, doesn't seem to help as much as i wish it did, wave is great, but i am now trying to learn to surf goofey.

19 hours ago, asnowman said:

We have tried to drain ballast, doesn't seem to help as much as i wish it did, wave is great, but i am now trying to learn to surf goofey.

what about totally empty pnp non surf side, just stock tank

went goofy 6 years ago after setting that up fir wife’s first surf, now i have to practice very hard for regular toeside

goofy gate was broke last two plus months so we practiced toeside and goofy backside a lot as a side blessing to the malfunctioning gate BUT we finally learned to dial our regular wave after six years

https://www.facebook.com/100005474021989/posts/1406792962846491/?extid=0&d=n

thats stock 800 plus 850 rear pnp surf side , zero in port sac, 200 lead surf side bow, 100 bow non surf, 75 on observers seat 335 under port side cushion and wedge and driver at 135 - 185 starboard

a big list will solve any issues but no fun and hard to drive and keep bow dry but probably not so bad in a 25 foot traditional bow 

Edited by granddaddy55
6 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

what about totally empty pnp non surf side, just stock tank

went goofy 6 years ago after setting that up fir wife’s first surf, now i have to practice very hard for regular toeside

goofy gate was broke last two plus months so we practiced toeside and goofy backside a lot as a side blessing to the malfunctioning gate BUT we finally learned to dial our regular wave after six years

https://www.facebook.com/100005474021989/posts/1406792962846491/?extid=0&d=n

thats stock 800 plus 850 rear pnp surf side , zero in port sac, 200 lead surf side bow, 100 bow non surf, 75 on observers seat 335 under port side cushion and wedge and driver at 135 - 185 starboard

a big list will solve any issues but no fun and hard to drive and keep bow dry but probably not so bad in a 25 foot traditional bow 

Our 25 does have 750's in the rear lockers. Probably not a good angle, same person though, 13 year old son, he is about 5' 6" and 125 lbs but....20200908_122157.thumb.jpg.40aec1ff75fbc2feb741f6318e8f1e6c.jpg

And later in his run just for reference....20200908_121838.thumb.jpg.8f53af5fb46cb11aaa430b6b18b7e830.jpg

• Like 3
  • 5 weeks later...

So I went threw my archives😁, this was a year ago October. This isn’t a great big wave but it had amazing push. The boat was actually producing a better regular wave at this time. This rider doesn’t like to let go of the rope because he goofs around so much. This is a screenshot from a video.A00357F7-388F-4357-A5EC-74C8DC4483C2.thumb.jpeg.65eeb677b8057c8749ac25a7ea5e0e48.jpeg

BTW. only two guys in the boat. 

Edited by Sparky450