Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 23 LSV Review

bcoppess23

1 hour ago, pauley71 said:

I agree the M5 is perfectly fine for surfing and cruising.  My only reservation for folks is if you slam it while wakeboarding, very large crews and high elevation.

It is definitely quiet but if you add the M6 and a speed prop you may get quieter, better performance, better cruise speed, lower fuel consumption and better resale (ie, you will get it back).

These are the primary reasons we ordered our boat with the M6.  

Not sure about the 2” increase, but if boat feels wider on interior, I bet they took one from the Cobalt playbook!  If you have ever been on a Cobalt the first thing you notice is how wide the boat feels.  I believe they reduce the interior gunnel width to create that roomier feel.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all this.  

Two additional questions: does the 2021 stereo sound better in an apples to apples setting (I know this is subjective) & does the rear remote have full function?

2 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Thanks for all this.  

Two additional questions: does the 2021 stereo sound better in an apples to apples setting (I know this is subjective) & does the rear remote have full function?

Have you decided what engine you are going with?

11 minutes ago, ndahlberg12 said:

Have you decided what engine you are going with?

I have a VERY good deal sitting in front of me on a stock boat that has the M5.  Deciding if we want to update to a '21.  

20 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

I have a VERY good deal sitting in front of me on a stock boat that has the M5.  Deciding if we want to update to a '21.  

Which boat?  IS it at LKN?  LKN Marine generally has some great looking stock builds.  

We decided against a 2020 simply due to the M5.  I think you would be fine with it, but since we ordered, we decided that the M6 was better for us. 

Edited by Slayer
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Thanks for all this.  

What do you mean full function of the remote?  I am able to connect my phone via bluetooth and when pressing next on the remote, it changes the song.  The same is true if I am playing music from a downloaded music source on the screen on the left.

I do know the radio was improved from 2019 to 2020 in volume level.  With the redesign for 2021, they did focus on speaker placement.  I cannot say it is louder than 2020. 

2 hours ago, bcoppess23 said:

What do you mean full function of the remote?  I am able to connect my phone via bluetooth and when pressing next on the remote, it changes the song.  The same is true if I am playing music from a downloaded music source on the screen on the left.

Not true on my '19.  Song skipping and mute doesn't work on Spotify.

1 hour ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Not true on my '19.  Song skipping and mute doesn't work on Spotify.

Is that what you mean by full function then?  I know on my '14, I didn't have that capability over BT.  And now you shared that, you have me second guessing but I am still 95% confident you have the ability to song skip over BT.  I do know via Amazon Music, I was able to song skip with the transom remote.

15 hours ago, bcoppess23 said:

Is that what you mean by full function then?  I know on my '14, I didn't have that capability over BT.  And now you shared that, you have me second guessing but I am still 95% confident you have the ability to song skip over BT.  I do know via Amazon Music, I was able to song skip with the transom remote.

Pretty sure I was able to do that on my '17.  Seems like forever ago since we were on the boat.....

16 hours ago, bcoppess23 said:

I do on my '14, but had to add a the RF dongle.

• 3 months later...
On 3/14/2021 at 11:31 AM, Five Cent Worth said:

Bumping an old one as I found this thread very helpful and wanted to add to it.

We took delivery FRI.  Upper 70's and a bit cloudy.  But, an overall very nice day.  Our dealer here is top notch.  We have bought a few boats off them and we decided to the kick the tires on a '21 based on the walk through and they had a tan interior inventory boat we really liked.  We were able to work up a deal we couldn't pass up even though we liked our current boat.  

We are coming from a '19 23 LSV with the 450.  I think the only option we don't have on the new vs the old is the upgraded motor and a three outlet heater vs two. 

I think overall, the '21 feels so much more refined.  It feels like simple things seemed to have higher attention to detail.  Pop up cleats, bimini pockets, etc...all seem to work better and be more thought out.

Big improvements:

Hinges on seats.  They open in a better direction and they seem much more sturdy.

Cooler.  It is at least a real cooler and not something you can get at Wal*Mart!

We are big on the walk through.  Our dealer said it is widely popular.  We think it is a bit safer with a six and eight year old, too.

Rear camera is a real feature now!  In the '19 it was flip phone quality.  

The new dash (again from a '19) feels less glitchy and smoother.  Seems more intuitive all the way around

Neutral:

Stereo feels the same.  I was hoping for something a bit cleaner.

M5 doesn't feel quieter than the 450.  Lots of talk on this - but we never thought the 450 to be loud.

Overall, we are really happy with the purchase and can't wait to surf behind it!

63727837078__3FB5FAA9-87C2-4A24-937C-A818DBA040F9.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2377.JPG

Congrats man!!  I really like that boat.  Did my best to convince the better half that those colors are amazing.  But I got vetoed because she doesn't like tan interior like I do and because our RLXi is red, black, and white.  

• Thanks 1

Great reviews. Our 23LSV is due in about 2 months.  Was originally slated for April but now they're saying May. Can't get here fast enough!  

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Slayer said:

Here's an on water pic.

23 LSV Maiden Voyage.jpg

1) Boat looks great :cheers: (You need some window tint!)

2) I would be mad with the prep work, too.  Our dealer is claiming they are putting 10 hrs on all the new Malibu's "to work out the kinks."  Mine came with 11 on it.  Not sure I completely buy this, but they have held to this in numerous conversations.  

3) my '19 had to go back to the factory for paint work for what it's worth.  I am not a paint guy, but it looked like overspray to me (photo below).  Malibu and the dealer made it right.  I hope they do for you as well.

file2-4.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

2) I would be mad with the prep work, too.  Our dealer is claiming they are putting 10 hrs on all the new Malibu's "to work out the kinks."  Mine came with 11 on it.  Not sure I completely buy this, but they have held to this in numerous conversations.  

3) my '19 had to go back to the factory for paint work for what it's worth.  I am not a paint guy, but it looked like overspray to me (photo below).  Malibu and the dealer made it right.  I hope they do for you as well.

file2-4.jpeg

I am uneasy hearing they are putting the 10 hrs on the boat.  What that sounds like to me is, the dealer doesn't have inventory so they are using your boat as a demo boat for potential customers.  Which begs to ask, are they loading the boat up and doing their full surf/wakeboard set for that customer and not properly breaking it in for you...  It is not cost effective to put someone on a boat for 10 hours to work out the "kinks" considering the dealer freight and prep is 2,500-ish dollars.  If they said they put an hour, maybe two, to work out the kinks, that is more believable. 

@Slayer, sorry to hear about your troubles with your prep.  I am often not the most hellbent on perfection regarding seams matching.  Do you care to share pics of the items you listed as the "quality" related items?  I want to compare and see if I have overlooked something.  Will be interesting to see if early MY '21 boats vs. late MY will have different quality issues due to the various set-backs.. 

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

I am uneasy hearing they are putting the 10 hrs on the boat.  What that sounds like to me is, the dealer doesn't have inventory so they are using your boat as a demo boat for potential customers.  Which begs to ask, are they loading the boat up and doing their full surf/wakeboard set for that customer and not properly breaking it in for you...  It is not cost effective to put someone on a boat for 10 hours to work out the "kinks" considering the dealer freight and prep is 2,500-ish dollars.  If they said they put an hour, maybe two, to work out the kinks, that is more believable. 

+1  I am reminded of Henry Winkler in the movie "Night Shift".  :)  A bit of a side hustle maybe?

1 hour ago, Five Cent Worth said:

file2-4.jpeg

Thank you!  I agree on the tint.  Hopefully next week I can get that done.  

That's interesting on the 10 hour thing.  My boat had 1 hour on it at delivery.  

The gel coat thing kind of blows my mind, honestly.  The lines are so clean and well done that it's hard for me to understand how they can have "overspray", particularly in black.  Beyond the difficulty I have in undewrstanding how it happens, I'm more baffled that they miss it in inspection and ship it that way.  

59 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

@Slayer, sorry to hear about your troubles with your prep.  I am often not the most hellbent on perfection regarding seams matching.  Do you care to share pics of the items you listed as the "quality" related items?  I want to compare and see if I have overlooked something.  Will be interesting to see if early MY '21 boats vs. late MY will have different quality issues due to the various set-backs.. 

Yes, I'll grab some pics of the stitching.  It's in the panel on the center cushion of the bow seating that faces the cabin.  The stitch between the cushion panel and top surface isn't straight in the least.  It just looks bad.  Not what I would expect from Malibu.  My 2017 interior lines were as good as it gets.  First pic is the "overspray".  Second pick is the missing fastener cover.  The third pic is a gouge in the gel in the bulkhead in front of the batteries.  3rd pic is the punctures near the cup holders.  There are a few of them.  The 4th pic is the gel under the helm as I received it and the last one is left over adhesive in the storage under the seats.  There are 4 instances like this in the boat.  

Here are some pics of the things I found the day I picked it up.  389650498_Pic5DefectiveGelCoat.thumb.jpg.d4c32a265cfc43d167eef2a19682cba4.jpg

Pic #2 Missing cover over fastener starboard side windshield.jpg

Pic #1 Bulkhead Gel Gouge.jpg

Pic #3 Tear in side panel under gunwale.jpg

Pic #4 Gel Coat issue under helm.jpg

#6 Storage Gel Coat Adhesive.jpg

16 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Thank you!  I agree on the tint.  Hopefully next week I can get that done.  

That's interesting on the 10 hour thing.  My boat had 1 hour on it at delivery.  

The gel coat thing kind of blows my mind, honestly.  The lines are so clean and well done that it's hard for me to understand how they can have "overspray", particularly in black.  Beyond the difficulty I have in undewrstanding how it happens, I'm more baffled that they miss it in inspection and ship it that way.  

Yes, I'll grab some pics of the stitching.  It's in the panel on the center cushion of the bow seating that faces the cabin.  The stitch between the cushion panel and top surface isn't straight in the least.  It just looks bad.  Not what I would expect from Malibu.  My 2017 interior lines were as good as it gets.  First pic is the "overspray".  Second pick is the missing fastener cover.  The third pic is a gouge in the gel in the bulkhead in front of the batteries.  3rd pic is the punctures near the cup holders.  There are a few of them.  The 4th pic is the gel under the helm as I received it and the last one is left over adhesive in the storage under the seats.  There are 4 instances like this in the boat.  

Here are some pics of the things I found the day I picked it up.  389650498_Pic5DefectiveGelCoat.thumb.jpg.d4c32a265cfc43d167eef2a19682cba4.jpg

Pic #2 Missing cover over fastener starboard side windshield.jpg

Pic #1 Bulkhead Gel Gouge.jpg

Pic #3 Tear in side panel under gunwale.jpg

Pic #4 Gel Coat issue under helm.jpg

#6 Storage Gel Coat Adhesive.jpg

That's frustrating, and hopefully the overspray can be buffed out. I've become resigned to the constant gel issues and just make sure they get taken care of under the warranty in the 1st year. Painters tape and pics to show where the issues are before you start using the boat. 

Mine also has a few places where adhesive appears to have been wiped on the gel. 

1 minute ago, NWBU said:

That's frustrating, and hopefully the overspray can be buffed out. I've become resigned to the constant gel issues and just make sure they get taken care of under the warranty in the 1st year. Painters tape and pics to show where the issues are before you start using the boat. 

Mine also has a few places where adhesive appears to have been wiped on the gel. 

I don't like the idea of succumbing to poor quality.  It's simply not acceptable to me.  I look at it like I look at my business.  If I leave less than high quality installations, my clients get disappointed and lose faith and trust in us which results in less business.  That's not how I want to leave my clients and I would think the same should apply to Malibu.  I did take pics and send them to the dealer.  When I polished and sealed the boat this past weekend, I attempted to rub out the overspray and it was a no go.  Everything I did offered zero improvement, so the dealer will have to address it. 

The adhesive being wiped on the gel is also unacceptable.  It's a joke that it happens and an even bigger joke that it doesn't get addressed in final inspection.