Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 23 LSV Review

bcoppess23

@AWADD09the fiberglass panel behind the wakeview bench is removable for easier access to the engine compartment for servicing the boat.  It's got 2 screws on the bottom that when removed allow the panel to be lifted out of position.  Mine is not like yours in terms of alignment, but it's also not well attached.  If you step on it where the soft grip is, it seems rather flimsy.  

Having been out the last couple nights getting break in hours on it in 50* temps, I've discovered more issues.  The center ballast drain pump is shot.  Doesn't drain, and makes a horrible sound when it's turned on.  There are other somewhat nit picky type of things as well that while relatively minimal, they're all unacceptable.  My boat is going back to the dealer today.  

3 hours ago, Slayer said:

@AWADD09the fiberglass panel behind the wakeview bench is removable for easier access to the engine compartment for servicing the boat.  It's got 2 screws on the bottom that when removed allow the panel to be lifted out of position.  Mine is not like yours in terms of alignment, but it's also not well attached.  If you step on it where the soft grip is, it seems rather flimsy.  

Having been out the last couple nights getting break in hours on it in 50* temps, I've discovered more issues.  The center ballast drain pump is shot.  Doesn't drain, and makes a horrible sound when it's turned on.  There are other somewhat nit picky type of things as well that while relatively minimal, they're all unacceptable.  My boat is going back to the dealer today.  

Thanks,  

I did dig a little deeper and know what you are speaking of regarding the two screws and the overall assembly.   Dealer said he has seen it before and they have a way to adjust so I will let them do it during first service.  

I do think that piece could use a bit of a design tweak to make it a little more sturdy. 

Sorry to hear about center ballast drain and the other issues and hope they all get resolved for you.  

Edited by AWADD09
47 minutes ago, AWADD09 said:

Thanks,  

I did dig a little deeper and know what you are speaking of regarding the two screws and the overall assembly.   Dealer said he has seen it before and they have a way to adjust so I will let them do it during first service.  

I do think that piece could use a bit of a design tweak to make it a little more sturdy. 

Sorry to hear about center ballast drain and the other issues and hope they all get resolved for you.  

No problem.  

I'm confident they'll straighten things out.  Malibu customer service has been helpful and got me in a week earlier than the dealer said they could get me in.  I'm not addressing the cosmetic issues until the fall.  I want all the systems functioning properly so I can have a worry free summer.  

I agree with you on the panel in front of the engine.  The design isn't the greatest.  I'm not sure why the didn't just put hinges on it or put 4 fasteners in it.  It's poorly designed and I'm positive a savvy engineer could have come up with something better for a nominal increase in cost.

I laid into some of the QC issues earlier in this thread, and did the same last week in the Malibu customer satisfaction survey. Just got a call today from customer service to follow up on my responses and the rep wanted to understand more specifics about my concerns. She also kept asking if I felt my dealer was being responsive, which fortunately I have no concerns there.

It was a good call, I had some thoughts to give and most importantly I'm glad they're actually following up on their surveys this year. The rep wasn't just checking boxes either, so it was a good visit.

9 minutes ago, NWBU said:

I laid into some of the QC issues earlier in this thread, and did the same last week in the Malibu customer satisfaction survey. Just got a call today from customer service to follow up on my responses and the rep wanted to understand more specifics about my concerns. She also kept asking if I felt my dealer was being responsive, which fortunately I have no concerns there.

It was a good call, I had some thoughts to give and most importantly I'm glad they're actually following up on their surveys this year. The rep wasn't just checking boxes either, so it was a good visit.

My experience was the same @NWBU.  It was clear that it wasn't just a "complete this call and form" type of discussion.  I was encouraged by that.  I too shared some thoughts and also addressed with them some of the concerns I had with my dealer.  Interestingly, the day I spoke with Malibu, which was 2 weeks ago today, they called the dealer and discussed some of those concerns with them.  Also, they sent a quality control rep to the dealer last week to address some of the delivery concerns.  Hopefully it helps them all get better.  

• Like 2

question for you all with '21 LSV 23's.... are you using PnP bags for surf wave?  I'm debating if they are needed.  My logic (if the wedge is already capable of pulling the back of the boat down further than needed, will the extra bags really help or just reduce my usage of the wedge?)

19 minutes ago, Justmikeyd said:

question for you all with '21 LSV 23's.... are you using PnP bags for surf wave?  I'm debating if they are needed.  My logic (if the wedge is already capable of pulling the back of the boat down further than needed, will the extra bags really help or just reduce my usage of the wedge?)

The wedge and the aft weight are going to have different impacts on the wave and the running angle of your hull in the water.  The wedge isn't a pure replacement for weight and weight isn't a pure replacement for the wedge.    The perfect wave is all about finding the right balance, it is not just about "as much weight as you can put in the boat."  So yes... you want the bags, you will likely not full them all the way for your typical surf set up. 

28 minutes ago, Justmikeyd said:

Great video!  thanks - do you know which PNP bags you have?

I can't remember for sure.  I think they are 450's

13 hours ago, Justmikeyd said:

I have the 580’s I believe.  I just hit 8 hours,  we haven’t surfed behind it yet.  I plan to start playing around with settings tomorrow to try and dial in wave.  

I have a feeling I won’t have to run the rears at 100%.   

12 hours ago, SoonerLSV said:

https://youtube.com/shorts/CEEorQZzaXk?feature=share

Here is the surf wave on our 23 lsv. It was just my wife, daughter and I onboard. Ballast and PNP bags were full, speed was at 11mph and wedge was at 3. We are still trying to get our break in hours done. It isn’t the best angle but gives a good idea. We are really happy with it. 

I like that interior combo