Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 23 LSV Review

bcoppess23

19 hours ago, Slayer said:

Thanks for the review.  I've not seen much in the way of detailed review on the 2021 iteration of this boat.  I'm getting more excited now......just need to settle on options and colors.  

What options are you on your must have vs. maybes??

3 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

What options are you on your must have vs. maybes??

Must have for us:

• 3 outlet heater
  • Docking Lights
  • Underwater LED
  • PNP with auto vent & bags
  • Top deck EVA Kit

Maybe:

• Wakeview Bench
  • Flip down swim step
  • Seat heater
  • Power lift helm seat

Not settled on a couple of other things, but that's where we're headed.  I'm having concern with our dealer and what they're telling me so I'll be in touch with other dealers before we pull the trigger to see what they have to say about build slots.  From what we're being told, if we don't move now on an order, we won't have a boat by May or later.  If that's the case, we may settle for a stock boat if we find one that checks all the boxes.

13 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Must have for us:

• 3 outlet heater
  • Docking Lights
  • Underwater LED
  • PNP with auto vent & bags
  • Top deck EVA Kit

Maybe:

• Wakeview Bench
  • Flip down swim step
  • Seat heater
  • Power lift helm seat

Not settled on a couple of other things, but that's where we're headed.  I'm having concern with our dealer and what they're telling me so I'll be in touch with other dealers before we pull the trigger to see what they have to say about build slots.  From what we're being told, if we don't move now on an order, we won't have a boat by May or later.  If that's the case, we may settle for a stock boat if we find one that checks all the boxes.

Those maybes are tough items to make a decision on as I would almost consider all to be must haves and then if in a position that needed to reduce costs would be the lights (Docking and Underwater) as we don't do a ton at night.  There are people that say they never use the wakeview bench seat, but with the table being integrated and having small kids, it is nice.  I would say the power seat is a must.  It was nice to tuck in low when cruising the lakes when it was cold out this past weekend and then raise up the seat when my wife drove for docking, and pulling me.  I have never had a seat heater in a boat but based on your thread, people seem to love this option more than actual heater.  This may be an option that can be added later...?  If you are debating on the flip down swim step vs. nothing, a third option would be a ladder.  It is always nice to have for other people that may go out on the water.  My kids loved the ladder on the old boat but really enjoyed the swim step this past weekend.  The wife also made use of it to warm the lake without getting completely soaked.

36 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

Those maybes are tough items to make a decision on as I would almost consider all to be must haves and then if in a position that needed to reduce costs would be the lights (Docking and Underwater) as we don't do a ton at night.  There are people that say they never use the wakeview bench seat, but with the table being integrated and having small kids, it is nice.  I would say the power seat is a must.  It was nice to tuck in low when cruising the lakes when it was cold out this past weekend and then raise up the seat when my wife drove for docking, and pulling me.  I have never had a seat heater in a boat but based on your thread, people seem to love this option more than actual heater.  This may be an option that can be added later...?  If you are debating on the flip down swim step vs. nothing, a third option would be a ladder.  It is always nice to have for other people that may go out on the water.  My kids loved the ladder on the old boat but really enjoyed the swim step this past weekend.  The wife also made use of it to warm the lake without getting completely soaked.

:lol:  Totally understand that.  

Powerlift helm seat and the wakeview bench seat are high on the priority list but not a must have.  I'm not overly concerned with cost on these items since we're minimizing flake for cost reasons.  My only fear with the wakeview bench is having more people than I need in the stern of the boat while surfing.  I'm guessing the experience will be different than our VLX where we NEED more weight forward for surfing.  I suspect that's still the case in the '21 23LSV.  However, the table feature is a great option for us.  We only have 2 kids under 12, but for us to have dinner on the boat, which we do regularly, it may be well worth it for us.  The seat heater can be added later and isn't a deal breaker for us.  The heater however is a deal breaker.  We will have a 3 outlet at a minimum.  

Great review - Thanks

I would be very interested to know the garage height required tower down on trailer when compared to the 2020 model? ( 2021 23LSV G5 tower, standard racks on)

Allegedly the new tower folds lower, but I have heard nothing about how much lower.

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bcoppess23 said:

Adding more to this thread...

Was able to take advantage of a rare November day in Indiana and got the boat out for a spin.  I am blown away how easy the boat is to winterize and get giddy about that.  Since it is a rare day to be upper 70's here, I was able to get a group of buddies to come ride and check out the boat.  They were blown away all around in the performance of the boat.  Here is more to add:

Wakeboard wake -  again, leaving the ballast stock and only using wedge, one buddy agreed this wake was massive and effortless.  Another friend likes the wake bigger the better and is ordering a new A24.  We loaded the boat out fully for him and rode at 22.4 mph, wedge in position 4, the wake exceeded his expectations and now he is curious if he made the right decision on boats... time will tell here :) 

Surf wave - Since wakemakers are backordered on PNP bags, I do not have anything for the boat at the moment.   So, we tried stock ballast.  With the wedge in position 5 and speed around 10.8, there was a lot of push and the wave was massive.  The guys couldn't get over how large the wave was here.

Overall, I continue to be impressed by this boat and am really looking forward to next season!

@04 VLX WINDERMERE UK, I am not been able to drop my tower, but will try to do that (unless someone beats me to it) and get measurements.

:)  I'm grinning from ear to ear about this!!  I can't wait till our boat arrives this Spring!

Thanks for all the info. 

5 hours ago, Slayer said:

:)  I'm grinning from ear to ear about this!!  I can't wait till our boat arrives this Spring!

Thanks for all the info. 

You'll really enjoy yours. Can't wait to see pics of it when it arrives!

6 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Pretty impressive reviews seeing how you don't have PNP in it yet!

I know the saying is, pics or it didn't happen.. will try to get those and get them uploaded soon.

• Like 2

Stock ballast Full minus Starboard rear at 75%, wedge in position 5, speed 10.8

50EAE1D0-885A-4F3C-8F59-6A76DCE6C78D_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.cb2e1232b1cc3965b4f0b021ee318761.jpeg

This is no ballast, 21 MPH wedge in position 4

7E3A5491-B058-43C5-9191-40EEC13C3803.JPG

DF79346E-5715-4C7F-8CC7-7403F75197DF_1_105_c.jpeg

Full stock ballast, 22.4 mph wedge in position 4. 

678A617C-4C6F-4CFE-B441-FD6ACF94DB75.JPG

It is always hard to see the difference from a camera, but there is a visible difference in the two wakeboard wakes.

Edited by bcoppess23
1 hour ago, bcoppess23 said:

Stock ballast Full minus Starboard rear at 75%, wedge in position 5, speed 10.8

50EAE1D0-885A-4F3C-8F59-6A76DCE6C78D_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.cb2e1232b1cc3965b4f0b021ee318761.jpeg

DF79346E-5715-4C7F-8CC7-7403F75197DF_1_105_c.jpeg

That does look good for no PNP!

I know the "23 LSV is an all new boat" lingo - but is there any additional freeboard in the '21 vs '20?

9 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

That does look good for no PNP!

I know the "23 LSV is an all new boat" lingo - but is there any additional freeboard in the '21 vs '20?

About 2" is I believe what I have heard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 8:46 PM, bcoppess23 said:

About 2" is I believe what I have heard.

Did your dealer confirm this?  Mine said it's essentially the same boat with the exception of the walk thru.

1 hour ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Did your dealer confirm this?  Mine said it's essentially the same boat with the exception of the walk thru.

That is where I got the information from on the 2", from my sales rep.

• Thanks 1

FWIW, I was told the same thing. 

I can say this though....after getting in a 2020 and a 2021, the '21 does feel a little larger.  I'm not sure why that is.  If there's more freeboard I would be surprised if it's 2".  What I noted was that it seemed like the boat was wider, but it's not.  The beam is the same.  IDK if the gunwales became more narrow or what, but the boat "felt" wider between the gunwales.  Perhaps someone could confirm with a measurement?  I would be interested to know.  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Slayer said:

FWIW, I was told the same thing. 

I can say this though....after getting in a 2020 and a 2021, the '21 does feel a little larger.  I'm not sure why that is.  If there's more freeboard I would be surprised if it's 2".  What I noted was that it seemed like the boat was wider, but it's not.  The beam is the same.  IDK if the gunwales became more narrow or what, but the boat "felt" wider between the gunwales.  Perhaps someone could confirm with a measurement?  I would be interested to know.  

The boat did become "wider" on the interior.  If you watch the walkthrough video, they talked about making the gunnels narrower.  This maybe the 2" the dealer was referring too... but who knows.. HA. All I know is going from my old boat 21'6" back to a 23', I am glad to have that foot and half back.  The rest is added bonus :) 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

The boat did become "wider" on the interior.  If you watch the walkthrough video, they talked about making the gunnels narrower.  This maybe the 2" the dealer was referring too... but who knows.. HA. All I know is going from my old boat 21'6" back to a 23', I am glad to have that foot and half back.  The rest is added bonus :) 

You may be right.  It's certainly easy to perceive the interior size difference, however nominal it may be, getting in a 2020 and a 2021 side by side.  I was kind of surprised,.

I've been in a 2020 23 LSV with the M5 at about 1000' elevation.  8 people in the boat, no problem surfing at all.  Engine is so quiet, it just purrs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree the M5 is perfectly fine for surfing and cruising.  My only reservation for folks is if you slam it while wakeboarding, very large crews and high elevation.

It is definitely quiet but if you add the M6 and a speed prop you may get quieter, better performance, better cruise speed, lower fuel consumption and better resale (ie, you will get it back).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1