Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stern Turn, questions for those that have one

Surf4FamFun

Opening this thread not to discuss if it is a must have, it is not, and I know that a lot of people have the attitude that you just need get used to the boat.  That said after after 70 hours with our 20 22 LSV it is a pig at slow speeds be it docking or going back for a surfer, it just is.  The only pump on our end of the lake is a challenge at best and sometimes I have to leave and come back because the only arc into the pump gets interrupted by the traffic.  I am giving very serious consideration to adding the Stern Turn on our upcoming build.

My question is has anyone been disappointed in how it works? Not if it did not end up being the value they they thought but did it not provide the functionality you thought it would?

Second question is how hard is it to learn?  Is this something that takes a lot of practice or is it an equalizer for experienced boaters without a lot of surf boat time?  Would be nice if trusted crew could feel comfortable driving the boat in confined spaces.

Third question is it strong enough to counter the prop shift when in reverse?

Thanks in advance,  

Same here.  I have put 100 hours on my 23lsv and it’s still a pig at low speed 🤷🏼‍♂️.  I’m pretty comfortable with it but I worry if my wife or kids were to have to dock in our windy marina.  Added bonus is faster pic ups when surfing.  For those reasons, I have considered adding stern turn to my boat.  If I were doing a new build I think it’s a great option in the $5k or so range.  I have not used one, just seen the performance vids of you tube.  Guys with the Malibu version should be able to weigh in better on those questions.  I would assume the stern turn would easily overcome the counter spin in reverse, but I wonder if Malibu has it so the stern turn disables when the throttle moves out of neutral.  I haven’t seen video of both stern turn and throttle being used at the same time.

Surf/PNW...we have it on our boat and we love it.  It does take a bit of getting used to as the boat spins very easily and my wife had our boat sideways trying to trailer by going the wrong way!  The motor is strong and is awesome for docking, just a quick toggle of the switch up for right or down for left.  Backing up you can "blip" the toggle up to keep the back end from turning to the right and back out straight.  Also great for picking up surfers and adjusting to get them in the proper spot, especially for new surfers!  Not sure if there are good aftermarket solutions for less than $10k, sure hope so.  

JW  

6 hours ago, PNWoke said:

Same here.  I have put 100 hours on my 23lsv and it’s still a pig at low speed 🤷🏼‍♂️.  I’m pretty comfortable with it but I worry if my wife or kids were to have to dock in our windy marina.  Added bonus is faster pic ups when surfing.  For those reasons, I have considered adding stern turn to my boat.  If I were doing a new build I think it’s a great option in the $5k or so range.  I have not used one, just seen the performance vids of you tube.  Guys with the Malibu version should be able to weigh in better on those questions.  I would assume the stern turn would easily overcome the counter spin in reverse, but I wonder if Malibu has it so the stern turn disables when the throttle moves out of neutral.  I haven’t seen video of both stern turn and throttle being used at the same time.

Guess that answers the question about being in gear and using the throttle.  

Edited by Surf4FamFun
out of order
5 hours ago, JWBeav said:

Surf/PNW...we have it on our boat and we love it.  It does take a bit of getting used to as the boat spins very easily and my wife had our boat sideways trying to trailer by going the wrong way!  The motor is strong and is awesome for docking, just a quick toggle of the switch up for right or down for left.  Backing up you can "blip" the toggle up to keep the back end from turning to the right and back out straight.  Also great for picking up surfers and adjusting to get them in the proper spot, especially for new surfers!  Not sure if there are good aftermarket solutions for less than $10k, sure hope so.  

JW  

It seems a bit high but so does the whole boat!  If it allows my wife to maneuver the boat and cuts the time it takes to pick up surfers thinking it will be worth it.  

Thanks for the response. 

Edited by Surf4FamFun
forgot my manners
16 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

It seems a bit high but so does the whole boat!  If it allows my wife to maneuver the boat and cuts the time it takes to pick up surfers thinking it will be worth it.  

Thanks for the response. 

I added it to our 2019 25, and its prety handy in tight spaces.  Like everything, it takes a little getting used to.  We often have to wait through a few boats to get to the gas dock, and using it, with just little bumps, i can pretty much just sit in place in a gentle breeze. While it helps going back for a surfer, it isn't strong enough to overcome the influence of other waves when backing up at more than a little above idle.  I am glad we have it, but it wasn't really a needed item, more of a very handy at times thing.  We primarily use it coming off the dock, and its great to be able to just spin in place, we ofteen have moored boats, kids swimming at the neighbors house, and a kayaker/paddleboarder cruising past, so it really makes it nice to maneuver in that situation.

FWIF, I did not pay 10k for the complete unit, with the throttle option.  Took me more time to install it than i would have liked, but I was doing all by myself, in a far less than ideal conditions.  Though i may need to upgrade the alternator in the future, so far it has been fine without doing that.  The factory option has the upgraded alternator as part of it.  

• Like 2

I have stern-turn on my Bu and love it. Uber easy to use; hold toggle switch up, bow turns right, hold toggle switch down, bow turns left. And, you can actually reverse this if you want. Aside from making docking much easier it also changes the way I pick up a surfer. No more circiing around. I roll off the throttle, jump into reverse and use stern-turn to steer the back up. Last note that I beleive to be important. There are after market stern-turn devices out there which I am sure are good. But, Bu adds a 170 A (as opposed to 120A) alternator to any boat with stern-turn. So, if you buy an after market kit, please be aware that your batteries are going to get stressed and will need some more time to recharge the batteries. 

Be well,

Chris

Love my stern turn.  Makes docking, trailering, working with beginner surfers, and dealing with wind much easier.  The price tag is on par with all the other overpriced add ons on these boats.  

I was quoted less than $5k for the aftermarket (non-Malibu branded) stern turn.  It was DIY install and I opted to wait until I had another season on it.  I doubt my same deal will be honored now but I might try to swing it for this winter...

15 hours ago, PNWoke said:

I was quoted less than $5k for the aftermarket (non-Malibu branded) stern turn.  It was DIY install and I opted to wait until I had another season on it.  I doubt my same deal will be honored now but I might try to swing it for this winter...

My quote from early September was $6285 plus shipping for the EZDrive and Throttle Control.  And don't forget you'll likely pay some more for an alternator and/or extra battery and associated bits and bobs.  I'm going to wait to see if any more specials or group buys come around.

Has anyone checked into what adding the EZDrive does to the Malibu 5 year Warranty?  We had lots of random eletrical and software problems with out new 2020.  Would hate to give Malibu a reason not to replace an alternator for example.

Or for that matter had positive or negative experience with aftermarket changes to the boat during the warranty period.

Edited by Surf4FamFun
added a question
19 minutes ago, Surf4FamFun said:

Has anyone checked into what adding the EZDrive does to the Malibu 5 year Warranty?  We had lots of random eletrical and software problems with out new 2020.  Would hate to give Malibu a reason not to replace an alternator for example.

Or for that matter had positive or negative experience with aftermarket changes to the boat during the warranty period.

Take a dont ask dont tell approach.

If they dont know its on there then they have no reason to deny anything.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Surf4FamFun said:

The Magnusson-Moss Act offers some protection against non-OEM changes. But if you add an electrical item that adds load and the alternator goes, IMHO Malibu would have a case to deny warranty coverage.

had ez drive installed on our 23 MXZ a week or two after we bought it. installed by dealer who sold us the boat, and they replaced the throttle with the one that has a thruster switch on the side. 

best. purchase. ever. We've had zero issues with it and use it constantly whenever we take the boat out. getting in & out of slip, getting gas, picking people up, just wanting to turn the boat to face the sun, etc. 

it allows just about anyone, old or young, experience or non-experienced, to be able to finesse the boat into just about anywhere. It changes the game, especially after a long day and a few beers.

• Like 2
On 10/19/2020 at 4:24 PM, Surf4FamFun said:

Guess that answers the question about being in gear and using the throttle.  

The Malibu version is no different than the EZ Drove, it works even if in gear. The switch on the throttle is completely independent of the other throttle wiring.

I installed EZ Drive on my '19 23 LSV and added the factory Malibu throttle with the Stern Turn switch. We love it. Don't use it all that much (because we actually know how to drive an inboard)... but in those few situations where the wind is blowing or you are in a tight docking situation, it make boating that much easier. So yes, I think it is worth it.

• 1 month later...

Just a little food for thought.  Before you install one of these after market, ask your dealer about the warranty on the rest of your boat if you're still in warranty.  According to mine, Malibu is being very aggressive about denying warranty work.  Electronics, engine, batteries, everything.  Fit and finish obviously aren't related to something like this, but the heart and the soul of the boat are at risk of limited to no warranty.  I wasn't in the mood for a fight every time something came up in the drivetrain or electronics.  I don't expect anything will come up.  But why toss the value of the warranty.  Thought it was worth getting into a thread in writing for those interested.  Just take a few minutes to call your dealer and get their take.

On 12/12/2020 at 8:17 PM, Slurpee said:

Just a little food for thought.  Before you install one of these after market, ask your dealer about the warranty on the rest of your boat if you're still in warranty.  According to mine, Malibu is being very aggressive about denying warranty work.  Electronics, engine, batteries, everything.  Fit and finish obviously aren't related to something like this, but the heart and the soul of the boat are at risk of limited to no warranty.  I wasn't in the mood for a fight every time something came up in the drivetrain or electronics.  I don't expect anything will come up.  But why toss the value of the warranty.  Thought it was worth getting into a thread in writing for those interested.  Just take a few minutes to call your dealer and get their take.

I did ask my dealer before installing mine. I was told it would not be an issue.

On 12/12/2020 at 5:54 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

Tell your dealer to read the Magnusson-Moss Act.

Exactly.  Malibu doesn't support (or like) anyone installing an option on their boat that they could get with a new boat... they want you to upgrade to a new boat.  This isn't new, they have been aggressive at discouraging upgrades since ~2010.

Edited by gregtay
On 12/12/2020 at 7:54 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

Tell your dealer to read the Magnusson-Moss Act.

While I don’t really have a dog In the race any more. Isn’t this an act meant to free folks to have choices for repair. And curb OEMs from leveraging the “warranty” as a fear tactic when they can’t be the repair service?  It’s a great vehicle for consumers. 

But putting a 1.5kW load on an engine that is entirely unnecessary for normal function isn’t a repair at all.  Its an upgrade/modification upgraded new thicker cable runs, alternator, breakers, even a 3rd battery. It can definitely be done wrong easily. I can’t find language that allows for experimenting. 

Anyways, I’m not a lawyer. Just a nerd with a boat and a good dealer.  They say pump the brakes and I’m going to until Bu gets it’s issues resolved. Someone else can break the wall down. 

1 minute ago, Slurpee said:

While I don’t really have a dog In the race any more. Isn’t this an act meant to free folks to have choices for repair. And curb OEMs from leveraging the “warranty” as a fear tactic when they can’t be the repair service?  It’s a great vehicle for consumers. 

You will have to read it.  But it  attacks what BS dealers (car, boat, bike etc.) try to  assert as fact.

14 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

You will have to read it.  But it  attacks what BS dealers (car, boat, bike etc.) try to  assert as fact.

My friend, I kind of did read it.  It’s a right of repair legislation and knocks down warranty tie ins. I’m not convinced it includes such a large engine and electrical load add-on unless it came ready from the factory for it. But again I’m not a lawyer. Someone else can fight this fight. That’s why I said sound out your dealer for support first. Mine isn’t encouraging.  When I’m out of warranty I’ll go bolt it on. 

Edited by Slurpee
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Slurpee said:

My friend, I kind of did read it.  It’s a right of repair legislation and knocks down warranty tie ins. I’m not convinced it includes such a large engine and electrical load add-on unless it came ready from the factory for it. But again I’m not a lawyer. Someone else can fight this fight. That’s why I said sound out your dealer for support first. Mine isn’t encouraging.  When I’m out of warranty I’ll go bolt it on. 

If you believe that then you better not add a rack to the tower, a speaker can, a subwoofer, etc.

ahopkins22LSV

I’m pretty sure what @Slurpeeis saying is that if the install is done incorrectly and then the electrical system fries, the cause is found to be the incorrect install, Malibu isn’t going to warranty the issue. 

If I make my truck engine have 1000hp and blow out my transmission, is GM going to fix that under warranty? Don’t think so. Same scenario here with the stern thruster. 

• Like 3