Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterization help!

2016 20vtx with raptor 410

what size is the plug on the transmission anode, and any techniques to remove the T plug, I think it was put in when the boat was new and never removed.  Please help!

3E964FF0-D379-44BC-B431-518C5EF0F47C.jpeg

2 hours ago, LakePTDoc said:

2016 20vtx with raptor 410

what size is the plug on the transmission anode, and any techniques to remove the T plug, I think it was put in when the boat was new and never removed.  Please help!

3E964FF0-D379-44BC-B431-518C5EF0F47C.jpeg

I recently had to remove the frozen T handle drain plugs. After lots of failed attempts at prying, PB blaster and other tricks I found on the forums, the handle broke. Once that happened it was very easy to get a socket with a long extension and a breaker bar on it. Came right out. It was so easy I just cut the handle on the other one with a Dremel. Ordered new ones from Bakes and will make sure to periodically remove them in the future.  

Edited by Philip
9 minutes ago, Philip said:

I recently had to remove the frozen T handle drain plugs. After lots of failed attempts at prying, PB blaster and other tricks I found on the forums, the handle broke. Once that happened it was very easy to get a socket with a long extension and a breaker bar on it. Came right out. It was so easy I just cut the handle on the other one with a Dremel. Ordered new ones from Bakes and will make sure to periodically remove them in the future.  

Not sure why they would not be reomved annually?

10 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

T-plug should have flats for a wrench.

They do but can’t get a big enough wrench on it to get added torque due to placement near the bilge, ballast pumps, and gas tank.  Tried a bit and it felt like it was trying to round off the flats.  So for now just removed the water by hand.

9 hours ago, Philip said:

Well the boat is new to us. I don’t think they were ever removed. They will be going forward. 

Same here.  I am not sure some owners know to remove them, and once it gets stuck, they leave them in.

9 hours ago, Philip said:

I may have to try that, the hard part may be cutting off the T handle while it is still in the boat.

Yea. A Dremel made short work of it. Took about 30 seconds. Cut it as close to the bolt as possible so you can easily get a socket on it. Otherwise You may need a deep socket. You can still use the plugs until new one come in if needed. You will just need to reinstall them the same way you take them out. 

2 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I wonder if there is someway you could use an easy out from the bottom? Or reverse tap a bolt into the bottom of the plug somehow and then use a wrench to spin it out that way.

I am not sure.  I think these are still tapered so not sure how that would work.

Too bad they don’t put a hex socket in the bottom of the plug, so when this happens you just put a large Allen wrench on the plug under the boat and break the seal that way.

ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, LakePTDoc said:

Too bad they don’t put a hex socket in the bottom of the plug, so when this happens you just put a large Allen wrench on the plug under the boat and break the seal that way.

That’s basically what I was thinking You could do with an easy out or some other method.

2 hours ago, LakePTDoc said:

They do but can’t get a big enough wrench on it to get added torque due to placement near the bilge, ballast pumps, and gas tank.  Tried a bit and it felt like it was trying to round off the flats.  So for now just removed the water by hand.

Use a crowfoot.

5 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Use a crowfoot.

+1 

Use a long extension and a crowfoot or a basin wrench.  either should work. Also that is a gasketed plug, the gasket provides the seal, and the resistance to removal, it sticks to the brass without any thread lubricant.  I always use silicone plumbers grease in the spring on the T-handle plugs, and do not over tighten them, basically just like an oil filter, 1/4 past where it stops freely spinning.