Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Film coming off main console screen? 2014 23 LSV

Hi All,

We were coming home from Idaho and it rained on the boat a bit (uncovered). Everything dried out nicely after some wipe down. However, when we were wiping the main console window a bit if what looks like film came up. We immediately stopped wiping. We’ve wiped the screen before but never wet or with cleaner. Pics below for reference. It’s on the bottom part though a little hard to make out. I touched it with my nail and it’s definitely some type of film. Is there a safety film that we just never took off? Has something delaminated over the years? Anybody else have this happen?

Console Screen

Console Screen

1 hour ago, tvano said:

what are the chances it's a protective film, applied to protect during mfg and install, to be removed by the end user?

If it is, there is likely  a little tab in one corner.  True story - got a new Google Nest Hub and I wondered why the clock was overlain with a GOOGLE logo.  Doh!  Turns out there is a protective film with thta on it and you are supposed to remove the film.  

No tab unfortunately. I think I was just hoping that might be the case. The thought of the screen delaminating is a little more troublesome. Thought I would check to see if anyone had encountered something similar. 

I have a 2014 VLX and have the same issue. Mine has gotten much worse over the last year where more of the film has flaked off. Mostly on the bottom half of the screen. 

Screen delamination is a very well known and HUGE problem for Malibu.  My 2014 screen did the same thing.  Replacement is about $2200 from Bakes.  Absolutely crazy in my mind that a problem this wide spread hasn't been addressed by Malibu.

Ouch. $2200 is significant. Is that replacing the whole screen assembly or (I’m guessing not) just fixing the lamination? Thanks for the reference. 

On 10/26/2020 at 1:07 PM, RyanB said:

Screen delamination is a very well known and HUGE problem for Malibu.  My 2014 screen did the same thing.  Replacement is about $2200 from Bakes.  Absolutely crazy in my mind that a problem this wide spread hasn't been addressed by Malibu.

The touch screen delam is a different issue. This is the upper screen (non-touch), these are less money.

I have not seen these delam before.

Edited by COOP
6 minutes ago, COOP said:

The touch screen delam is a different issue. This is the upper screen (non-touch), these are less money.

I have not seen these delam before.

No, it's not a different issue.  The same thing happened on the Maliview screen on my 2014.  And the $2200 I quoted was what I paid to have it replaced from Bakes.  My dealer was $2500.

My dealer told me it is a widespread issue as well.  And if you spend any time on the Facebook group, you will see other complaints as well.

17 hours ago, RyanB said:

No, it's not a different issue.  The same thing happened on the Maliview screen on my 2014.  And the $2200 I quoted was what I paid to have it replaced from Bakes.  My dealer was $2500.

My dealer told me it is a widespread issue as well.  And if you spend any time on the Facebook group, you will see other complaints as well.

Im not on the FB group. Ive have been working with Malibus since 2013. This may be widespread, but  I havent seen it. I still think that price is high. Currently I would charge $1500 for the Maliview screen. I say currently as I have noticed that when parts become more harder to get prices go up. And there are a lot of parts this year that availabilty is/has been tough. Steering cables for instance, relay packs for the surf gates, and other stuff. 

14 hours ago, COOP said:

Im not on the FB group. Ive have been working with Malibus since 2013. This may be widespread, but  I havent seen it. I still think that price is high. Currently I would charge $1500 for the Maliview screen. I say currently as I have noticed that when parts become more harder to get prices go up. And there are a lot of parts this year that availabilty is/has been tough. Steering cables for instance, relay packs for the surf gates, and other stuff. 

Where were you when I was spending $2200 on my screen? ;)

I could have used that $700 for 1/3 of the cost to replace my touchscreen (which I will likely need to do in 2021).

If you have a sale on the touchscreen, let me know.

9 hours ago, RyanB said:

Where were you when I was spending $2200 on my screen? ;)

I could have used that $700 for 1/3 of the cost to replace my touchscreen (which I will likely need to do in 2021).

If you have a sale on the touchscreen, let me know.

I have three(3) of the newest touch screens in stock for the older (pre 2015) they are $1999.99 plus tax and shipping if you're interested.