Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M260 needed

The Hulk

On 10/21/2020 at 6:39 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

I don’t see any inboard manufacturer being successful with a 30’ boat/cruiser. That market is very locked in. Similar to how we see I/O and jet boat manufactures struggle with getting into the wake/surf market. If I were searching for a 30’ cruiser, and the MC was still in production, I doubt I’d have it on my list with Sea Ray, Colbalt, Carver, Formula, etc. That’s with me having spent and still spending a lot time around that market. 

I think MC has it correct in trying to get in this market by separating their brand in this space from their tow boat brand.  I.E. the Aviara boats.  I certainly think they are sweet looking!

Edited by Five Cent Worth
5 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

I think MC has it correct in trying to get in this market by separating their brand in this space from their tow boat brand.  I.E. the Aviara boats.  I certainly think they are sweet looking!

I agree.  

Malibu purchasing Cobalt gives them that separation as well.  It seems that if they attempted to build something like a Cobalt under the Malibu Brand, they would be in a similar position as MC was with the 300.  Cobalts are fantastic boats.  I have a friend with a 26' cobalt in Northern MI and it's simply awesome.  Great ride in rough water, too.  

20 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I agree.  

Malibu purchasing Cobalt gives them that separation as well.  It seems that if they attempted to build something like a Cobalt under the Malibu Brand, they would be in a similar position as MC was with the 300.  Cobalts are fantastic boats.  I have a friend with a 26' cobalt in Northern MI and it's simply awesome.  Great ride in rough water, too.  

Exactly, and you can already buy a Cobalt with a surf system. So that's significant overlap.

And there isn't much of a market for surf boats any larger than what's already out there, for good reason. I was serious when I said above that I would be miserable picking up surfers in a 30 foot boat. Has anyone here driven a boat that large and heavy and maneuvered it in situations like that? 

Honestly, I already hate piloting 25LSVs and 24MXZs. They are a nightmare in high wind situations at the dock, and they are really just painful to pick up downed riders in.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 2
39 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Cobalt with a surf system

Pushing close to a cool quarter million asking; one can only imagine the price if they made a 30 footer.  I've driving some big dive boats, and frankly, it was easier to let the divers swim than to go get them under normal circumstances.

14 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Pushing close to a cool quarter million asking; one can only imagine the price if they made a 30 footer.  I've driving some big dive boats, and frankly, it was easier to let the divers swim than to go get them under normal circumstances.

Oh, so same price as an M240/Paragon? haha

56 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Honestly, I already hate piloting 25LSVs and 24MXZs. They are a nightmare in high wind situations at the dock, and they are really just painful to pick up downed riders in.

A big boat is not really harder to drive, you just have to anticipate what will happen better. 

When i had a sport fishing boat, we more than once picked up stranded boaters in the ocean. Lots going on with currents, wind and waves. With twin screws on a 53' i never felt like it was much more challenging to drive than the I/o i grew up in. 

But there dies reach a point where a twin engine set-up makes sense, like in a 30' cruiser or a 30' surf boat. For me the question becomes is the price tag of a 30' surf boat worth it.... probably not. I would rather buy a place to go snow skiing.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, asnowman said:

A big boat is not really harder to drive, you just have to anticipate what will happen better. 

When i had a sport fishing boat, we more than once picked up stranded boaters in the ocean. Lots going on with currents, wind and waves. With twin screws on a 53' i never felt like it was much more challenging to drive than the I/o i grew up in. 

But there dies reach a point where a twin engine set-up makes sense, like in a 30' cruiser or a 30' surf boat. For me the question becomes is the price tag of a 30' surf boat worth it.... probably not. I would rather buy a place to go snow skiing.

Maybe not harder per se, but certainly takes longer to maneuver and requires more space. I also grew up on the coast with the family owning twin screw boats up to 40 feet. Dad always taught me to drive, so I know a bit, and could even back into slips in windy conditions. I stand by my words, it would not be fun to drive the typical wakesurf sets daily in a large boat vs driving an A20 (gosh I miss my A20). Heck in an A20, I could swing around for my wife and toss her the rope before she's even caught her breath and ready to ride again ha.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 2

Did I just read we are discussing a boat having “warranty issues” on a Malibu boat forum? 😁😁😏  

gona need some bandages after this one I’m sure 😂🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

And there isn't much of a market for surf boats any larger than what's already out there, for good reason. I was serious when I said above that I would be miserable picking up surfers in a 30 foot boat. Has anyone here driven a boat that large and heavy and maneuvered it in situations like that? 

We surfed the 300 quite a bit this summer, and with the thruster/joystick control setup, it is honestly just as easy, if not easier. It whips right around and I would actually just spin right around in front of the downed rider instead of looping around them (do the same in my Star, and I’m sure lots of others do to). But with the control setup in the 300, I can put that boat precisely where I want it, faster and easier than the average 23+ foot wake boat.

• Like 3
On 10/21/2020 at 3:25 AM, TenTwentyOne said:

300 has Joystick!! :biggrin:

As for the other up to date stuff, the 300 doesn't have a surf system obviously, but does have a Garmin 12" touch display, and mine definitely has an up to date stereo. Originally, the stereo in the 300 was a 3000 watt JL system with 5 M series amps, 19 M series speakers, and 4 subwoofers. That along with a fusion 700 series head unit. It's really not behind the times at all. Mine was updated with a new Fusion Apollo, MVi amps, and M6 series JL speakers. 

Surf system would be the icing on the cake though.

The X80 is 28' without the platform. It is huge, and the width does make it look shorter inside than it actually is. It is a very roomy boat. That said, it isn't roomy for a 28. Id say it has about the same room inside as a new X26. Lots of wasted space with the head, and the giant rear sunpad area. Cool boat, but not a practical platform to resurrect.

Isn't your surf system on the 300 running one engine at 75% the output of the other one?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TenTwentyOne said:

We surfed the 300 quite a bit this summer, and with the thruster/joystick control setup, it is honestly just as easy, if not easier. It whips right around and I would actually just spin right around in front of the downed rider instead of looping around them (do the same in my Star, and I’m sure lots of others do to). But with the control setup in the 300, I can put that boat precisely where I want it, faster and easier than the average 23+ foot wake boat.

This is about what i would expect, the advantage of twin engines is huge, and if you have a thruster as well, it can be pretty easy to control even a pretty large boat.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

Exactly, and you can already buy a Cobalt with a surf system. So that's significant overlap.

Really? U can't be serious a 24/25 is difficult to maneuver. These are small boats.. and there is a reason aft thrusters are "game changers" Im willing to bet that 300 is far easier than a small closed bow ski boat. 

Throw a NB in a tow boat they can't drive or back up or dock for crap, put them in an IO.. easy..  add a joystick man that's cake..  even the 25lsv u can get a bow + aft thruster .. but kinda small to need the bow one IMO. 

6yrs ago nobody thought about a 25lsv.. too big.. now it's extremely popular.. 27-28 not that much bigger

Edited by The Hulk
3 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Exactly!! These are easier with proper equipment.. 28-30ft is not far off or at least a 27 .. centurion is 26'6", pavati 26+ , MC 26ft.. Malibu still has one of the smallest length lin the industry and if u measure by actually height by far the 25 is the lowest/smallest of them.. the 25 is similar to a G23 in overall size

• Like 1
10 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Really? U can't be serious a 24/25 is difficult to maneuver. These are small boats.. and there is a reason aft thrusters are "game changers" Im willing to bet that 300 is far easier than a small closed bow ski boat. 

Throw a NB in a tow boat they can't drive or back up or dock for crap, put them in an IO.. easy..  add a joystick man that's cake..  even the 25lsv u can get a bow + aft thruster .. but kinda small to need the bow one IMO. 

6yrs ago nobody thought about a 25lsv.. too big.. now it's extremely popular.. 27-28 not that much bigger

Exaggerating a little bit, but in some cases, backing out of tight spots in the wind, larger Malibu’s can be painful. Single engine inboards can only do so much in reverse.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

I have zero experience with joystick and thruster boats. That sounds awesome, I’d love to see how that is to drive.

16 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

I have zero experience with joystick and thruster boats. That sounds awesome, I’d love to see how that is to drive.

I am able to spin around 180 in front of, and back that boat into it's 14' wide slip (Boat is over 11' wide) on a windy day, without touching the pilings. It is fantastic to drive.....

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TenTwentyOne said:

I am able to spin around 180 in front of, and back that boat into it's 14' wide slip (Boat is over 11' wide) on a windy day, without touching the pilings. It is fantastic to drive.....

i want one! 

ballast up a van dutch 30 and lets roll! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Twin screws are $$.  So much easier to maneuver.  

• Like 2