Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lift bubbler/deicer

Wolflake

Here is my old setup. I use an old 3/4 hp pump with a pvc pipe in the water. I had this on a thermostat so when the temp dropped below my set temp, the pump would run and bubble the water.
0BD588F8-2F4D-4602-A6FE-AA4626F608E9.thumb.jpeg.2c1624af5ffefb25393e21abeeffdcfd.jpeg

I think in this picture my pvc line came loose and I had to reconnect it, but usually it opened the ice up a little more than what you see around the lift. I am doing something different this year. I bucked up and ordered a 1/2 hp Kasco de-icer. I am going to hook this up to a photocell timer that will only run at night for so many hours. I plan to hang this from the lift blowing straight up so I don’t open up too much. This de-icer is stronger than what I need. If you point them out, they can leave a trail going out into the lake. The trail you see behind my lift is from the neighbors a couple doors down. He got in trouble by the DNR because he had 3 of these going at 1 hp each. This can be dangerous if too much is de-iced for the ice fishing.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

Crazy to see aluminum docks frozen in the ice like that.  If you tried that on my lake in northern WI, you'd have very expensive pretzels come springtime.

We leave both docks and both lifts in the water year round at IL/WI boarder. Small lake with little ice movement historically. Understood all it takes is 1 year though...

I went ahead and ordered the kasco 3/4hp deicer from amazon. With the two lifts in the water I thought I’d play it safe. Also, ordered the timer with temp gauge so the deicer is not constantly running.