Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

winterizing 2018 axis t23 with indmar 6.0

I have a 2018 Axis t23 I am winterizing my boat this year and wanted to confirm some things.

add fuel stabilizer 

warm engine up using fake lake 

Change engine oil and filter 

Drain blue water ports 

2 exhaust plugs 

2 raw water plugs 

2 block drain plugs 

1 v drive plug

hook up fake lake and flush with antifreeze and fog engine? 

is that correct? 

I could find much much info online and Hope someone can help. 

best,

Jacob 

ahopkins22LSV

I think there are two blue plugs per exhaust manifold on your engine. You can double check the drain location in you manual. Can be found here if needed: 

I would not fog the engine. Especially don’t fog it by sucking it through the intake while the engine is running. That can ruin your catalyst in your exhaust. If you feel like you need to fog it, pull each spark plug and spray directly into the cylinder. 

You don’t need to warm the engine up either. Once you drain it, all the water will be out anyway and then you will flush with antifreeze like you said. Unless you are doing it solely for the oil change. But personally I don’t change the oil unless I’m due to change it hour wise. 

thanks for the info but don’t I need to warm engine for thermostat to become open? 

Do you have any tips on flushing boat with antifreeze with boat winterizing kit? 

Best

Jacob 

Does your boat have a J-hose at the engine water pump?  If so you need to pull that too.

Tip #1 would be don't bother with antifreeze.  If you drained it you drained it and an empty block won't freeze.

Tip #2 would be that it's going to be very very very hard to get a fake-a-lake to suck antifreeze, especially from a system that's been drained already (getting pump to prime).  You risk damage to your impeller.

Tip #3 is if you still feel compelled to use antifreeze, pull the cross hoses from the exhaust manifolds and pour the AF in from the top.

1 hour ago, Bluelake said:

thanks for the info but don’t I need to warm engine for thermostat to become open? 

Do you have any tips on flushing boat with antifreeze with boat winterizing kit? 

Best

Jacob 

Go to the resource section of this site under Axis specifications and pull up the engine manual, search for "winter".  Its all pretty much spelled you. Pull the blue plugs, sea strainer and let drain. 

On an 2018 you have a closed cooled system so no need to mess with thermostat, block plugs on that side which includes the heater if you have one.

Pulling the blue plugs will drain most of if not all of raw water out.

If you want to run RV type antifreeze through the raw water side (which I do) you'll need a transfer pump to push it through the fake lake or pour it in like stated above.

I looked at manual and says there a raw water draining diagram located on this website but don’t see it since it was link and I don’t know what website or where to look either 

Thanks I really appreciate it 

Just to confirm 

oil change 

Fuel stabilizer

2 exhaust blue plugs 

2 raw water blue plugs 

2 blue engine block plugs 

1 v drive blue plug 

run boat with antifreeze using fake lake and water transfer pump to pump into boat 

first question is whether it IS closed or raw water cooled?  I think the newer PCMs are all closed cooled, but cannot recall when the switch was made.

If you are raw water cooled and you have a heater, you also need to make arrangements for draining / blowing out the heater circuit.  That's one area where I would recommend using some antifreeze because you can never know if you "got it all."  So drain heater, blow heater out, fill with antifreeze, blow it out again.  Then at least you know that what's left is AF-diluted.

ahopkins22LSV
31 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

first question is whether it IS closed or raw water cooled?  I think the newer PCMs are all closed cooled, but cannot recall when the switch was made.

If you are raw water cooled and you have a heater, you also need to make arrangements for draining / blowing out the heater circuit.  That's one area where I would recommend using some antifreeze because you can never know if you "got it all."  So drain heater, blow heater out, fill with antifreeze, blow it out again.  Then at least you know that what's left is AF-diluted.

Pretty sure the crusader engines were still raw water cooled in axis unless closed cooling was selected as an option on the build. 

1 hour ago, Bluelake said:

which hose is going to be the one to add antifreeze to the heater? 

Please confirm if you have closed cooling or not.  Answering questions we ask is the best way to get useful advice.

If you have closed cooling, you will have a cylindrical tank (the heat exchanger) with a radiator cap on it, or at least an overflow bottle with a pressure cap on it.  If you do have closed cooling, your heater has antifreeze in it already.

Also, I would not waste time or money with fuel stabilizer.  We have had many discussions about it, but I can assure you that my boat is fine without it (but I do run ethanol-free gas).

https://www.crusaderengines.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/2016-Challenger-Owners-Manual.pdf

that's the older manual but still covers your engine and it has a good diagram on page 66 for the drain points on your motor.  

Not sure on the heater hoses... you'll have to check.  Probably one near the engine water pump, but hard to know where they connected the other hose.  I'd look for where two hoses come out of the stringer near the transmission on the driver's side, and follow where they connect to the engine.

I have a 2018 A22 with the same motor. Make sure you pull the heater supply line and blow it out with air. leave all of the other plugs out in the motor when you do. When you blow out the heater line, the water will drain out through the motor. I then dump pink antifreeze in the heater line and blow it out again, when pink comes out of the motor the heater is done.

As far as filling the motor with antifreeze, i unhook the raw water intake hose next to the v drive, and use a funnel to pour antifreeze in it while the motor is running. I have a sea strainer so i just disconnect that and fill form there. Its pretty easy. 

If you have any other questions PM me, I just went through this whole process.

Ryan 

ahopkins22LSV
16 hours ago, prion said:

I have a 2018 A22 with the same motor. Make sure you pull the heater supply line and blow it out with air. leave all of the other plugs out in the motor when you do. When you blow out the heater line, the water will drain out through the motor. I then dump pink antifreeze in the heater line and blow it out again, when pink comes out of the motor the heater is done.

As far as filling the motor with antifreeze, i unhook the raw water intake hose next to the v drive, and use a funnel to pour antifreeze in it while the motor is running. I have a sea strainer so i just disconnect that and fill form there. Its pretty easy. 

If you have any other questions PM me, I just went through this whole process.

Ryan 

Agree, but it would just take both heater lines off and blow it out. They are right next to each other on the engine water pump if I remember correctly.