Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

towing with Ford 2.7L V6 turbo

JJohnston

On 11/11/2020 at 6:27 PM, justgary said:

Well, and a flatbed trailer as well.  That's the one that really gets a brake workout when it has the tractor and a few logs on it.

I added an aftermarket controller to my 2005 F150, and it still bugs me that it sticks out from under the dash.  It really annoyed me to figure out (several years later) that Ford didn't bother to install the fuse for the 12V power to the trailer.  I mean, I actually bought the towing package and it wasn't ready for towing.

The last F150 I had (2002?) came with a couple of relays and fuses in the glove box with the instructions on how to enable the trailer brake circuit.  I'm guessing that 90% of people never used them.  Back when I had to install my own controllers (up until my current truck) - I used the prodigy controllers since they seemed to work the best for me.

Edited by oldjeep

I have the trailer assist on my ExMAX.  I set it up to use with both my Malibu and my Ranger.  Wasn't that hard to set up.  The only time I used it was when I took customers to the lake, and no one was comfortable backing the trailer up to retrieve the boat.  I showed one guy who had backed a trailer "a couple of times", and with it, he was comfortable  enough to help retrieve.  

There are some weaknesses to the system, but I think overall it is a good idea.  For all the "who needs that option" people, spend a little time at the boat ramp and you quickly realize how many people can't back up a trailer.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

I have had it on two F150s. Gave up trying to set it up on first truck, something about putting a sticker on the trailer tongue and measuring things....

That’s as far as I got as well, but can see why people who aren’t comfortable backing a trailer would love it.

• Like 1

I've been in F-150's since 2004.  My first 3.5L Eco was the first model year of the eco, which was 2011.  The last few I've had have had the trailer back up assist, which I have not used and never attempted to set up.  I don't like that it's packaged with other features that I like, want, or need because I see no need for the back up assist.   

14 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Any have the auto parallel parking option? I don’t, friend had it on his 2012 F150 P, and never trusted it or used it.  Can you trust it to park without smacking the Camry behind you?

Especially with a hitch?

We have the 2019 F-150 Limited with the 3.5L HO. Towing is a breeze. It does have the trailer assist, but I tried to use it and stopped because it seemed strange and would rather back the boat in normally. We were in Boerne, TX a few weeks ago and had to park on the street. Decided to try the parallel parking feature out. It works better than I thought it would, but talk about make your butt pucker when you have traffic around you as well. Love the truck!

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Any have the auto parallel parking option? I don’t, friend had it on his 2012 F150 P, and never trusted it or used it.  Can you trust it to park without smacking the Camry behind you?

I've had that option in my last 2 trucks including the one I have now and I've never used it.  I simply see no reason to. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Bozboat said:

A quote from my SIL as I was parking in San Francisco in a *very* tight space: "Just go until you bump it; that's what I do."  Sheesh. 

I did the job quickly and without touching either vehicle.  Luckily we were in the Mission District where the street was flat.  I would need a little more room at the south end of Stanyan, where they used to live.