Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

towing with Ford 2.7L V6 turbo

JJohnston

Hello all

I own the 2020 T 22  I am looking to get a new truck to tow with and looking pretty seriously at a Ford F-150 with the 2.7L V6 motor.  Sepc is 8500lb tow capacity.  Does anybody have any experience towing with that truck motor setup.

4 hours ago, JJohnston said:

Hello all

I own the 2020 T 22  I am looking to get a new truck to tow with and looking pretty seriously at a Ford F-150 with the 2.7L V6 motor.  Sepc is 8500lb tow capacity.  Does anybody have any experience towing with that truck motor setup.

my boat is smaller but i have a 16 2.7 6 speed and its great.  just get more trim than an xlt (what i have to save money) if you want comfortable seats  10 speed would only make it better. calls for premium to tow but i never do, i use  87, great acceleration at all speeds even passing going from 70- 78++ pulling its quick (though I only did this significantly on my only long trip with it) but it was a pleasure on that long ride.  put it on cruise and let it do its thing up or down the hill ( tried to feather the throttle going but that was work, way home i put it on cruise and it was fun.)  i don't experience or use shaky or steep wet launches so i got the 2wheel drive as i like a lower truck as well.  

i had to turn the hitch slide upside down to raise the ball for a level ride for boat trailer.  the light suspension 2wheel truck uses its natural rake to get perfectly level like the trailer,  i like the way they look together 

3.73 rear end if available is really a big help

i luv my 2.7, also pretty quick not towing

i got the trailer brake controller but i doubt i will mod my trailer to electric over hydraulic

i haven't read on tow rating for new max tow package but anything over 5000 was accomplished by a wdh as per my sticker on my hitch for basic tow package . i dont use one with my a20 plus gear, batts, snd 710 lead with tandem trailer

the 200 i carry in bow makes just the right tongue weight for a smooth ride for both

Edited by granddaddy55

I had a 2016 lariat with the 3.55 rear end and towed my 2017 21VLX and a 29’ enclosed snowmobile trailer (6500lbs) with little effort.  Mileage towing at 75+ will be in the high single digits, get the 36 gallon tank and you’ll have 650+ mile range not towing, drove from minneapolis to Naples FL recently and only had to fill up twice.  Just traded it in last month with 136k on it and other than tires and brakes only issue I had was three oil pan leaks that were done under warranty.

• Like 1

I tow my 2017 T23 with my 2019 F-150 Lariat 2.7.  I got the 2.7 for the fuel economy (not towing) and it also pulls the boat quite nicely; very happy with my decision to go with the smaller engine.  I am going to need to get a new hitch to raise the ball to level out the ride a little better for next year.  So far my overall fuel economy is 19.5 mpg, I haven’t checked what it is specifically when towing, probably not very good. 

@KMB73 i experienced those 9’s,  did you run premium long trip pulling as per manual?  if you did than i am not gonna use it next trip pulling as i planned to see if any performance or mileage issues

i did have one issue since i wasnt locking out 6 up hill on lesser grades .  in six going up lesser grade, but not 5 going up steeper grades as it downshifted, it would shutter vibrate into steering column when both turbos were full spin on when it didn't downshift and rpms were less chugging up a long hil. if it was in 5th or 4th it would not do that with higher rpms

was wondering if that was the octane diff from me on 87 

Edited by granddaddy55

I ran 87 all the time, my son (17) filled it a few times over the years with 91 ethanol claiming it felt faster but I honestly couldn’t feel much difference and it wasn’t enough to make a noticeable difference in mileage.  My longest towing trips are in the winter pulling the 29' trailer, 2-1/2 hours with the cruise set at 80 on the freeway and another 3 hours at mostly 65 on two lane highways and always did fine running 87. 

• Like 1

I am running an older 3.5L  380 hp  I think 460 torque. and it will pull the loads you want and more.  Mine in a 2017 Navigator 5,800 lbs.  I run regular fuel.  Even pulling heavy trailers I find myself slipping well over the 70 mph speed limit on the expressways if I don't pay attention.

On 10/15/2020 at 10:44 AM, longlake said:

I tow my 2017 T23 with my 2019 F-150 Lariat 2.7.  I got the 2.7 for the fuel economy (not towing) and it also pulls the boat quite nicely; very happy with my decision to go with the smaller engine.  I am going to need to get a new hitch to raise the ball to level out the ride a little better for next year.  So far my overall fuel economy is 19.5 mpg, I haven’t checked what it is specifically when towing, probably not very good. 

turn your current one over and remount the ball, though i turned over a 2-3 inch drop, really nice with the truck snd trailer level

you can have eco or boost but not both, i do like my economy not towing 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 2 weeks later...

2019 f150 with 2.7 eco with 3" lift/level, sumo springs to reduce sag in rear and 33" tires. tows my 2020 t22 effortlessly. plenty of power to pass on freeway and got surprisingly good gas mileage from ohio to lake Cumberland, averaged 10.5 for the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Towed my Echelon with a 2.7 eco F150 (2015), as well as a car hauler with a variety of vehicles on it.  Heaviest weight roughly 7k lbs. 

Great tow vehicle.  Newer trans with more gears are even better, drove one as a rental a few months ago.  Fast and great gas mileage.  Without the boat, totally stock vehicle, I could get 24-25 mpg on the highway.

On 11/9/2020 at 9:14 PM, justgary said:

I'm looking at a 2019 XLT 4x4 with a 2.7.  Do these all come with a brake controller, or is that part of a towing package, or separate? 

oem controller can be added anytime, dont bother unless you plan to convert your boat trailer from surge to electric over hydraulic and lose the ability to walk on your tongue of trailer like i do to stay dry to  hook it up when retrieving  plus the. ost of conversion at about $1000, brake controller is far less than  $200, more like $100+ including installation 

Edited by granddaddy55
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

oem controller can be added anytime, dont bother unless you plan to convert your boat trailer from surge to electric over hydraulic and lose the ability to walk on your tongue of trailer like i do to stay dry to  hook it up when retrieving  plus the. ost of conversion at about $1000, brake controller is far less than  $200, more like $100+ including installation 

He said he has a car/toy hauler. 

@justgary I wouldn’t care if it have the factory brake controller or not. Aftermarket can be added easily on pretty much any truck out there. 

• Like 1

I personally think having the factory brake controller is nice; but ahopkinsVTX is correct that an aftermarket product is pretty easy to add.  

Edited by jjackkrash
1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

He said he has a car/toy hauler. 

@justgary I wouldn’t care if it have the factory brake controller or not. Aftermarket can be added easily on pretty much any truck out there. 

Well, and a flatbed trailer as well.  That's the one that really gets a brake workout when it has the tractor and a few logs on it.

I added an aftermarket controller to my 2005 F150, and it still bugs me that it sticks out from under the dash.  It really annoyed me to figure out (several years later) that Ford didn't bother to install the fuse for the 12V power to the trailer.  I mean, I actually bought the towing package and it wasn't ready for towing.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
21 minutes ago, justgary said:

Well, and a flatbed trailer as well.  That's the one that really gets a brake workout when it has the tractor and a few logs on it.

I added an aftermarket controller to my 2005 F150, and it still bugs me that it sticks out from under the dash.  It really annoyed me to figure out (several years later) that Ford didn't bother to install the fuse for the 12V power to the trailer.  I mean, I actually bought the towing package and it wasn't ready for towing.

I get it! I like the factory integration as well. Just buying used your either have to compromise somewhere or have infinite patience. I don’t have the ladder so I compromise lol.

16 minutes ago, justgary said:

Did you get it new?  It should have had the relay and wire to mount an aftermarket brake actuator in the truck. I think the glove box. 

5 minutes ago, Sixball said:

Did you get it new?  It should have had the relay and wire to mount an aftermarket brake actuator in the truck. I think the glove box. 

Sure, it had the cable, but it didn't have a controller, and it didn't have the 12V fuse. 

7 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Just buying used...

Turns out that the truck I glanced at (didn't open the doors or anything) is on CarGurus and I see in the photos that it does have an integrated controller.  It also has the silly backing knob thing.  Sheesh.  It has a soft bed cover, so I couldn't tell if it has the gate step.  I sure hope not.

Ok, so my wife would use the backing knob thingy and the gate step for sure.  Flame away if you feel the need, but I cut my teeth backing trailers and I can still jump into a truck bed.

ahopkins22LSV
47 minutes ago, justgary said:

Sure, it had the cable, but it didn't have a controller, and it didn't have the 12V fuse. 

Turns out that the truck I glanced at (didn't open the doors or anything) is on CarGurus and I see in the photos that it does have an integrated controller.  It also has the silly backing knob thing.  Sheesh.  It has a soft bed cover, so I couldn't tell if it has the gate step.  I sure hope not.

Ok, so my wife would use the backing knob thingy and the gate step for sure.  Flame away if you feel the need, but I cut my teeth backing trailers and I can still jump into a truck bed.

I honestly have never used the gate step on a Ford. I will say I thought the bumper steps on the GM trucks were a gimmick... and then I bought a new truck that had them and holy cow are they convenient. Use them all the time. I do like how they are a no nonsense nothing to break feature but I’m sure the Ford step is nice too. 

Who knows maybe the backup feature is nice too. I would probably never use it, but I was also the guy screamed who the heck needs a backup camera and now I question how I backed up to trailers and backed into tight parking spots without it... :blush: 

6 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I will say I thought the bumper steps on the GM trucks were a gimmick... and then I bought a new truck that had them and holy cow are they convenient. Use them all the time. I do like how they are a no nonsense nothing to break feature but I’m sure the Ford step is nice too. 

Holy crap this is so true.  And, further, I can't even picture getting the fiver hooked up now or unhooked without the newest step toward the front of the bed on my DRW.  I just love the steps.    

11 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I honestly have never used the gate step on a Ford. I will say I thought the bumper steps on the GM trucks were a gimmick... and then I bought a new truck that had them and holy cow are they convenient. Use them all the time. I do like how they are a no nonsense nothing to break feature but I’m sure the Ford step is nice too. 

Who knows maybe the backup feature is nice too. I would probably never use it, but I was also the guy screamed who the heck needs a backup camera and now I question how I backed up to trailers and backed into tight parking spots without it... :blush: 

The pull out step and handle in the Ford tailgate is pretty sweet.  I loved it in my 2015 and 2018 F150's.  My 2019 does not have it and I miss it.  While I can still jump in the gate without it and without stress, the ease of use is hard to ignore.  If I were to order a truck, I would get that option without question.  I'm not sure why this is not standard.  

11 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Holy crap this is so true.  And, further, I can't even picture getting the fiver hooked up now or unhooked without the newest step toward the front of the bed on my DRW.  I just love the steps.    

It is true.  I thought the same as @ahopkinsVTX when I first saw it.  Then, once i used it I quested why no manufacturers came up with a solution like this sooner.  

ahopkins22LSV
47 minutes ago, Slayer said:

The pull out step and handle in the Ford tailgate is pretty sweet.  I loved it in my 2015 and 2018 F150's.  My 2019 does not have it and I miss it.  While I can still jump in the gate without it and without stress, the ease of use is hard to ignore.  If I were to order a truck, I would get that option without question.  I'm not sure why this is not standard.  

It is true.  I thought the same as @ahopkinsVTX when I first saw it.  Then, once i used it I quested why no manufacturers came up with a solution like this sooner.  

Not to nerd out too much, but the formability of the steel in that area is difficult to manage material flow without overlaps, cracks or splits.. Die/stamp and steel tech have come a long way. It may not have been possible to stamp  bumper like that with the tight sweeping radii back into the cavity previously. TOTALLY GUESSING, but maybe? :lol: