Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Cover under $500? Echelon LX

DOJOLOACH2

Does anyone have recommendations on where to buy a cover for a '97 echelon lx open bow. I have a waketower on mine so I understand that I will need to modify or the supplier will need to. I'm confident I can do the job myself.

The boat is kept on a trailer year round outside, whether the cover has straps or not to attach to the trailer I am impartial.

Is overtons covermate a good brand? I can't seem to find the manufacturers site.

1 minute ago, solorex said:

Westland brand cover and pay for the Sunbrella fabric.  If it's outside I'd put a second tarp onto of this (just a grubby one).

For winter storage or if hurricanes come through I usually put a tarp over the cover. Thanks for the tip. Is this what you use?

Mike is $100 bucks more than others for the same cover for my RLX.  I've had covers that cover/don't cover the platform and I  like the ones that do not cover the platform better.  But I moor offshore (and therefor tarp/untarp on the water).  YMMV

Edited by Eagleboy99
Spelling
17 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Mike is $100 bucks more than others for the same cover for my RLX.  I've had covers that cover/don't cover the platform and I  like the ones that do not cover the platform better.  But I moor offshore (and therefor tarp/untarp on the water).  YMMV

Yikes, compared to who? Did you get the "exact fit" or "styled to fit"

5 hours ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

For winter storage or if hurricanes come through I usually put a tarp over the cover. Thanks for the tip. Is this what you use?

I have a cheap universal fit cover (it came with the boat when I bought it); I just put this over the Sunbrella one in the winter.  My boat sits under cover, but still outside.  Does the trick and I find I barely every have to wash the "good" cover this way.  I'm sure a tarp would suffice as well.

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

This isn't the one I saw earlier but is better pricing than you have now.  I _know_ I saw one for $500 on the nose.  https://www.wholesalemarine.com/brands/Westland-Boat-Covers.htm

Thank you sir. I think we are going with sharkskin supreme. Since I may be getting rid of boat in 5 years or if not it will definitely be under a roof. 

As far as durability did you notice a difference between models that cover the platform or not? I'm wondering if in torrential downpour hurricane wind and rain the one with platform cover wouldn't be as secured. Maybe it would cave in?

I bought my cover two years ago directly from westland and it has been great for me so far.  I have a factory tower and they had the pattern and it fits perfectly, although I did have to spend $50 to have a canvas shop modify the tower openings so the water would not flow into those.  If you are on the trailer or on a lift, I would highly recommend getting one that covers the swim platform.  It is definitely kept the platform looking better and kept the transom out of the sun.  I got the lowest version of fabric, the sharkskin and have been happy with it and no leaks.

I do have PVC pipe that I put over my table post that keeps the cover propped up to prevent pooling, I also have one on the ski pylon.  Its a little bit different that your direct drive, but I did the same thing on my old sunsetter.  I had a piece of PVC pipe that slid over the ski pylon and it works great for keeping water from pooling.

I'll try to remember to get a picture tomorrow in the daylight.

1 hour ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

As far as durability did you notice a difference between models that cover the platform or not? I'm wondering if in torrential downpour hurricane wind and rain the one with platform cover wouldn't be as secured. Maybe it would cave in?

The one not covering the platform lasted longer.  Again - I moor offshore so YMMV.

5 hours ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

I'm going to go with Mike as well, thanks. Did you go with the swimplatform cover version?

Mine did not cover the swim platform.  And if you find something less than Mike offers, I'd use the "contact" link on his page and see if he will price match.  I do know you won't beat his service.

10 hours ago, RyanB said:

Mine did not cover the swim platform.  And if you find something less than Mike offers, I'd use the "contact" link on his page and see if he will price match.  I do know you won't beat his service.

I bought the gray one, westland is 4 weeks out. Too bad that as soon as it gets here I'm putting a few holes in it for a hangtyte and the wake tower poles lol

16 minutes ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Wow, just an update. It already arrived, I was told 5 weeks but it was less than 1. Now onto buying the stiching!

And you did the swim platform cover too right?

I'm really curious to see how yours fits I works out.  My cover is shot and I have to do something for next season.

2 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

And you did the swim platform cover too right?

I'm really curious to see how yours fits I works out.  My cover is shot and I have to do something for next season.

I did get the swim platform cover, I'll post a pic here later this week.

Edited by DOJOLOACH2
17 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

A separate piece of canvas?  Or attached to the rest of the cover?

It's attached to the rest of the thing, I wish it was separate.

I just ordered thread, velcro, hem stitching supplies for the wake tower legs. Got all that for 20 bucks from defender

Here is my Westland cover that I bought 2 years ago for about $400.  I have the platform cover which works great is you trailer or have a boat lift.  Mine is very easy to put on as it tightens from the side under the tower.

94F997B0-B125-432A-943F-9F8DE48C66C3.jpeg

2AF63C62-2709-4DA2-9E6A-E17B0917F55C.jpeg

997F953B-FB83-4DBC-8595-7E3A7F6FA76A.jpeg

3A18B147-7CB1-4821-96B1-BC2859F9D73A.jpeg

20B5A7BC-02F9-4B91-957C-43AF2A0ED6B3.jpeg

• Like 3

Here are the pics sorry for delay. Last night was the first time the cover was on, collected a little bit of water in the back but it could have been tighter. 

I really hope 1 hang tyte in the back can replace the pvc pipe I have under the cover.

Also note the tip of the bow has a nice form fitting pocket which I like.

It is not easy to take my tower off so I'm hoping I can make a good educated guess on where to make the cutouts.

20201025_094044.jpg

20201025_094100.jpg

20201025_094111.jpg

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Template the tower cutout locations with a chuck of painter's drop cloth and line it up with the seams after.  Use that as the locatio for cutting/sewing.

Great idea, definitely will practice before the new cover 

11 minutes ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Great idea, definitely will practice before the new cover 

And measure from the point of the bow to the tower leg along the rub rail. Measure both sides as the tower legs may not be exactly centered