Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raptor 6.2L 400 Reviews?

genki

I have the Raptor 410 in my 2020 VLX.  I love it so far.  Others will say it's loud; not sure if it gets louder over time, but I don't objectively think it's loud compared with my older boat.  It may be louder than the M5.  

I thought that vintage was produced with all GM engines.  2012 would not have been designed around the Raptor engines.  I think those started showing up in 2016 IIRC.  

I have one in my 2017 22 VLX.  It's a great engine.  

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

I thought that vintage was produced with all GM engines.  2012 would not have been designed around the Raptor engines.  I think those started showing up in 2016 IIRC.  

I have one in my 2017 22 VLX.  It's a great engine.  

Right. Original engine went bad they put a new raptor in 2018. 

No complaints with my Raptor 410.  Plenty of power and I don't notice it being any louder than my previous boats.  Feel my fuel economy is on par or slightly better than my previous PCM350.

We had one in our 2017 23 LSV. Only time it struggled was with 10+ people in the boat and full ballast and plug and play and an aggressive wedge setting. And it still managed fine. (note that we are at sea level, no elevation issues).

It has a different engine note than the engine in our 2012, more of a growl. Our neighbors thought it sounded great. Did not notice it being any louder that the 2012, just different.

-JH-

They are great motors. Lots of torque.

Yes, they are louder than the older GM or newer M5/M6 motors. Not terrible though.

My 2016 was the first year for the Raptor in Malibu. That motor/boat combo was very loud. A neighbor had one, he used a lot of sound deadening to quite it down. Yes, we ran sound tests against his '16 and mine.

My 2017 and 2018 boats were better. We suspect that Malibu added more mass in the padding around the engine compartment. Yes we compared my '17 & '18 to the results from my '16.

That engine in an older boat than '16 will most likely be comparable to the '16.

My concern would be the motor switch and all that goes along with it. Who did it and how competent they were.

I had one in my 16 VTX and it was a beast.  The Raptors are loader but I for one liked that about it.

The only issue I had with it was having to replace the O2 sensors which seems to be a common problem.

I too would be concerned about how well the work was done. Going from a GM to Ford wouldn't exactly be plug and play.  But who knows I had a option to have my 2020 built with a Ford because of the GM strike. 

The motor is a great performer.  Same as everyone else though - I would be curious on details of the swap.   What changes to the ECM had to be made, and wiring harness changes, did the v-drive and tranny have to be swapped as well?  On one hand I would probably want a discount for a non standard engine in that year, but at the same time, it really is a better performer than the base 350 GM of the 2012 era.