Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Garage size/ swim platform removal 22LSV/23LSV

mmmmboats

Hi all! 

Trying to decide between 22 LSV and 23 LSV and it looks like I would have to remove the swim platform on the 23 every time I put in in the garage. How are hard/ long does it take to remove the swim platform? Is there a huge difference in performance between the boat? 

Leaning toward the 22 just for ease in and out of the garage unless there is a huge difference in the boat. 

Thanks!

In theory it is easy - pull a couple pins and lift it off.  But you are going to want a helper, they are heavy and it is easy to scuff the boat up if you are trying to do it yourself.

Are you sure removing the platform will be enough?  The surfgates and wedge stick out a fair amount.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mmmmboats said:

Hi all! 

Trying to decide between 22 LSV and 23 LSV and it looks like I would have to remove the swim platform on the 23 every time I put in in the garage. How are hard/ long does it take to remove the swim platform? Is there a huge difference in performance between the boat? 

Leaning toward the 22 just for ease in and out of the garage unless there is a huge difference in the boat. 

Thanks!

We have a 2015 22VLX. My garage is 24 feet 10 inches. The swim platform needs to come off, once removed we have about 16 to 18 inches to get around the back of boat. Trailer tongue folded of coarse. Hope this helps!!

Just now, Jason63 said:

We have a 2015 22VLX. My garage is 24 feet 10 inches. The swim platform needs to come off, once removed we have about 16 to 18 inches to get around the back of boat. Trailer tongue folded of coarse. Hope this helps!!

And the wife an I can do it, mostly me but could not do with out her just to bulky and heavy.

1 hour ago, Jason63 said:

And the wife an I can do it, mostly me but could not do with out her just to bulky and heavy.

How long does it take you to take it off? Is it really simple?

Very simple to remove the platform but a complete pain the A$$.  Problem is the height of the lift because these boats are tall.  You have to lift up over surfgates and power wedge.  I'm 6'1" and my wife is 5'9" and she has to tippy toe to get it out.   We garage our boat so this process is done about 12-15 times a season and then repeated when we have to put it back on.  Takes maybe one minute to put on and the same to take off but it's the two person requirement.  

I long for the day when I can have a bigger garage.  I'd much rather have to pull guide posts because at least I can do that on my own.  That said, it's a pain but if I could fit a 23LSV in it's place, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  

Edited by wedge88

We remove ours, always have.  Beware if you are getting the flip down platform it is much heavier.  I installed a lift in the ceiling ($100 from harbor freight) and it allowed me to remove it by myself.  It takes a few minutes solo but in my humble opinion it is ABSOLUTELY worth being able to get the 23’ over the 22’.  

I can lift it off without the lift with another decent sized strong person.  

good luck and hope that helps.  

7 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Maybe the next option Malibu needs is a flip up platform 😁

MC has had that for ages.  And you can get flip up brackets from Alloy Marine.  Frankly, on my teak platform, it is not the wirght, it is the bulkiness and  sticking pins that make it  atwo person job.  I don't know how figerglass compares, weight-wise, to teak.  But teak has to weight 60+ pounds and is bulky AF.

i understand from wakemakers years ago that they float when detached in the water so if doing a troubling repair or boat rescue you can remove it for easier access

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 10:48 PM, djheywood said:

We remove ours, always have.  Beware if you are getting the flip down platform it is much heavier.  I installed a lift in the ceiling ($100 from harbor freight) and it allowed me to remove it by myself.  It takes a few minutes solo but in my humble opinion it is ABSOLUTELY worth being able to get the 23’ over the 22’.  

I can lift it off without the lift with another decent sized strong person.  

good luck and hope that helps.  

Do you have a picture of your lift set up?? I would like to engineer the same thing as sometimes another body might not be able to help.. Thanks!!

On 10/12/2020 at 9:48 PM, djheywood said:

I installed a lift in the ceiling ($100 from harbor freight) and it allowed me to remove it by myself.

Thankis a smart idea!  I don't garage my boat, but you got me thinking that this https://www.harborfreight.com/gambrel-and-pulley-hoist-99758.html from a tree branch and a couple of webbing straps would help me get my teak platform off by myself.

Here are the lift pics.  I use two straps connected to the locking C rings.  Its a little bit of a tight fit but it all fits on the hook.  The only trick is keeping the straps apart from each other.  They have a tendency to want to slide together as it is holding the platform but you can adjust them by simply lifting the platform a little and sliding the straps around.  

It works well and cost maybe $150 total.  You mount the metal tube to the ceiling with some washers to create a gap to the hoist can hang from it.  I can also slide the hoist forward and back along the metal tub when its not lifting the platform.  I went into the attic and beefed up the rafters and created a beam that spans 4 rafters to the load would be spread out.  Probably overkill but I didn't want to risk anything.

Hope that helps.

Brian

IMG_3310.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 5:47 PM, djheywood said:

Here are the lift pics.  I use two straps connected to the locking C rings.  Its a little bit of a tight fit but it all fits on the hook.  The only trick is keeping the straps apart from each other.  They have a tendency to want to slide together as it is holding the platform but you can adjust them by simply lifting the platform a little and sliding the straps around.  

It works well and cost maybe $150 total.  You mount the metal tube to the ceiling with some washers to create a gap to the hoist can hang from it.  I can also slide the hoist forward and back along the metal tub when its not lifting the platform.  I went into the attic and beefed up the rafters and created a beam that spans 4 rafters to the load would be spread out.  Probably overkill but I didn't want to risk anything.

Hope that helps.

Brian

IMG_3310.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

Awesome, I'm doing this!! Thanks for posting!!!

On 10/16/2020 at 5:47 PM, djheywood said:

Hope that helps.

Brian

IMG_3310.jpg

Those are excellent hoists, as long as you have them mounted in such a way that they will not take your trusses down.  For the weight of the platform, that looks good.  I've had the big version of that hoist for many years to pull engines and sometimes pick up and flip truck frames. (That trolley track is carried by every truss in the building)

F350Frame 003.jpg

Edited by oldjeep
  • 5 months later...

Looking at pulling the trigger on either a 2021 23 LSV or 2021 Axis A24.  Looking for some info about fitting these it into my garage. 

I have 95" of clearance height with the door raised.  Dealer tells me  that will work with the tower folded down.  If anyone can confirm, that would be appreciated.

I have a standard width two a car garage with a little extra depth on one bay.  Can anyone tell me the how much depth is required for the 23 LSV or A24?  Both have Malibu trailers with the folding tongue.  It would be nice to leave the platform on but I'm willing to remove if necessary.

Any info appreciated!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ralett said:

Looking at pulling the trigger on either a 2021 23 LSV or 2021 Axis A24.  Looking for some info about fitting these it into my garage. 

I have 95" of clearance height with the door raised.  Dealer tells me  that will work with the tower folded down.  If anyone can confirm, that would be appreciated.

I have a standard width two a car garage with a little extra depth on one bay.  Can anyone tell me the how much depth is required for the 23 LSV or A24?  Both have Malibu trailers with the folding tongue.  It would be nice to leave the platform on but I'm willing to remove if necessary.

Any info appreciated!

Thanks!

I don't think a 23LSV with the G5 will clear an 8' door (based on the charts I have seen.)  A 23LSV with the Gx tower will clear an 8' door.