Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast Tank Replacement Complete

krward

I have a 2016 25LSV and the tanks (bow, and rear tanks) were leaking and I was able to acquire new tanks and replace them. The bow tank was easy, but not so much on the rear tanks.

If there is enough interest I will take the time to document the process and post some pics. When I found the problem of the leaking tanks and started asking folks on here if they had any suggestions it was crickets so not sure how many would benefit. My guess is any 2016 or older model with piggy back bags...your tanks are leaking based on the design.

7 hours ago, krward said:

I have a 2016 25LSV and the tanks (bow, and rear tanks) were leaking and I was able to acquire new tanks and replace them. The bow tank was easy, but not so much on the rear tanks.

If there is enough interest I will take the time to document the process and post some pics. When I found the problem of the leaking tanks and started asking folks on here if they had any suggestions it was crickets so not sure how many would benefit. My guess is any 2016 or older model with piggy back bags...your tanks are leaking based on the design.

I agree with @Ronnie.  Please document the process.  There's no doubt in my mind that the information you learned will be valuable to many here.  

On 10/11/2020 at 11:21 PM, krward said:

. My guess is any 2016 or older model with piggy back bags...your tanks are leaking based on the design.

i have always suspected it but what do you mean by above?  lsv designed system or all MLS? for the entire malibu, axis line up 

On 10/13/2020 at 9:16 AM, granddaddy55 said:

i have always suspected it but what do you mean by above?  lsv designed system or all MLS? for the entire malibu, axis line up 

Sorry I didn’t turn on notifications for this thread. I mean the thru tank fittings/collar were plastic and at install if the factory over tightened them (easy to do) to index them properly then the plastic collar splits. Yes they put silicon in as they thread in it in, but that only lasts for so long. In addition, the stress the piggy back bags put on the 90 which flexes the thru tank fitting/collar is going to fail. The mid-tank was not leaking. The only way to replace that is to split the boat in half at the factory. 

I don’t know how long Malibu used the above for the tanks, but I am guessing that most that have this setup leak. The replacement tanks they sent me have metal (aluminum) fittings that won’t flex and split. I am working on a full write up with a couple of pics/drawings for anyone who find themselves needing to replace. 

If the leaking water went into the bilge (as it could have been designed) rather than the compartments under the seats I wouldn’t have cared or likely noticed and wouldn’t have fixed it. I just want a place where things I put in those storage spaces can stay reasonably dry which after a morning of surfing I had 3-4 inches of water in those compartments. Now they stay dry.