Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Added a Malibu Skier to the Dock

carnold12

I recommend Sunbrella fabric. I got new material, like sharkskin, and it's molding inside after 2 summers. It doesn't breathe as well as Sunbrella.

I had a local shop make it. Jackson Canvas. They removed the cutouts for the cleats and the air vents from my old cover, and sewn them onto the new cover. I couldn't believe it. Never go there again.

skiboatcovers.com 

I had good success with this company.  I got the water like cover that also covers the swim deck, helps protect the boat from sun as mine lives on a hoist.  However I'd assume lead time for a cover is long this time of year.

Beautiful boat, nice purchase, great color combo, congrats. 

Do you keep the boat off or on the water when not in use?  If on, a lift is a wonderful thing to keep your boat in good condition, a night and day difference in how well the boat withstands the elements when not in use.  Also, several threads in this site from the 'square window' gang, plenty of good info being traded.  Enjoy your new toy.

Thank you all! Lots of good options there. Boat will be stored on a covered lift in the summer and in the garage for the winter.

Did some checking around at all these places listed above and seems like Cory at Evolution had the best price and fit. He recommended using TopNotch9 material as it is supposedly stronger and 2x as breathable as Sunbrella. Five week lead time seemed reasonable given the current environment too. 

16 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Cory had the  best price and 5 week lead?  That seems to clash with common experience listed here.  As for fabric, TN ( is cheaper and  shorter warranty) but it sure looks good - on paper at least.  https://www.rochfordsupply.com/tech_docs/Top Comparison 2018.pdf

Evolution w/ TopNotch9 (or Sunbrella for same price) including logo was $805

Skiboatcovers.com w/ Sunbrella and no logos was $975

What's their normal lead time?

On 10/12/2020 at 6:22 PM, carnold12 said:

Evolution w/ TopNotch9 (or Sunbrella for same price) including logo was $805

Skiboatcovers.com w/ Sunbrella and no logos was $975

What's their normal lead time?

Not sure how much you boat is exposed to sun in the summer while on the hoist, but ever since I upgraded to the water line fit on mine, I've been very happy with UV protection

Skiboatcover.com waterline fit.

ml040x.jpg

Evolution seems to do just rub rail covers, which leave a lot of gelcoat exposed.

Boat-Brand-and-Deck-Cover.png

or get these skirts which I could only image the difficulty installing and flapping in the wind.

BoatSkirt.jpg

7 hours ago, Joeprunc said:

Not sure how much you boat is exposed to sun in the summer while on the hoist, but ever since I upgraded to the water line fit on mine, I've been very happy with UV protection

Thanks for the input, good looking cover. It shouldn't see much sun at all while on the lift. It'll be in a center spot of a 4 & 4 slip dock with each slip 28' long, so it should be tucked up out of the sun entirely.

I do like the idea of the waterline fit, but won't have another cover with ties to the trailer.

On 10/11/2020 at 9:50 AM, carnold12 said:

Snagged a deal on this 1990 Malibu Skier from a Dallas seller yesterday morning. Boat is in incredible condition for being 30 years old, with no stringer rot or soft spots of any kind, and a only a single dime-sized tear in the upholstery. A quick buff & ceramic coat of the gel, some love to the teak swim platform, and a she'll be on her way to her new home on Table Rock lake next weekend.

Any recommendations for a high quality fitted cover? I had read somewhere that Evolution might already have the template for the Skier? Any other recommendations?

IMG_1075.thumb.jpg.a72f35b76eccc81e2a36e8901ece2ce3.jpg

IMG_1069.thumb.jpg.128a974078c50ba6f5138ad16b7e435c.jpg

As A older Malibu owner I can appreciate the shape this boat is in. Its not how you use it its how you store it.

Obviously this owner took real good care of this boat.. You Do the same  Congrats 

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 11:37 PM, Rack said:

As A older Malibu owner I can appreciate the shape this boat is in. Its not how you use it its how you store it.

Obviously this owner took real good care of this boat.. You Do the same  Congrats 

Totally agree! Looked for a while for one that was well maintained. Still going to fix a few things and it should be back to showroom shape by Spring season.

22 hours ago, Chappy said:

Gorgeous boat!

Thank you Chappy

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Rack said:

Looks Fantastic,   

How does it pull with the 4 blade?

Similar out of the hole, which wasn't ever an issue, but now seems to track more steady when a skier is cutting. The original prop was trashed so had to do something either way and happy with the decision.

3 hours ago, Woodski said:

Very nice, do you have the PN's for the Taco Marine rub strip?  Thx.

I will dig them up and get them to you!

Thx.  On your tracking, nice improvement with a prop change.  In addition, a little torque steer to the right will really help.  If the steering feels neutral, you do a little rudder grind on the trailing edge to add some torque steer.  It makes driving much nicer as you only need to have slight pressure on the wheel to keep boat tracking nicely.

martinarcher

Beautiful Skier.  I remember working with Cory to template a Skier in WA so I could get a cover for my Skier.  Glad to see that template getting some use!  I dig the custom embroidery on the sides.  Nice touch!

What wheels did you put on the trailer?  I like them and are due for tires and wheels on the Sunsetter's trailer.  

10 minutes ago, martinarcher said:

Beautiful Skier.  I remember working with Cory to template a Skier in WA so I could get a cover for my Skier.  Glad to see that template getting some use!  I dig the custom embroidery on the sides.  Nice touch!

What wheels did you put on the trailer?  I like them and are due for tires and wheels on the Sunsetter's trailer.  

Thank you. Yes, the template worked absolutely perfect and Cory was great to work with!

The wheels and tires were ordered from Trailer-Wheels.com at the link below. They were running a package deal at the time and was able to get both the tire and wheel for ~$200. The new tires are about 1" diameter larger than stock, but got me into better tires (higher load and speed rating) and still have plenty of clearance room.

https://www.trailer-wheels.com/15x6-T08-Black-Machined-Lip-Silver-Trailer-Wheel-5x45-Lug-2150-lb-Max-Load_p_1244.html#.YdB7_y2ZMch

• Like 1