Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterization Prep and Unknown Parts!

First season as a boat owner and I want to keep the dream alive by not killing my engine! 

I started to prep the boat to be winterized and pulled 3 of 4 drain plugs in the engine (two exhaust manifold, and one engine block). The plug I haven't removed yet is on the starboard side and I believe the thermostat is connected to it (see pic 2 & 3 in google drive). Is that the thermostat? Should I drain the plug? https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tw1Jg4tsuUiAbzNeA 

I'm thinking of bringing it to a service center to make sure everything is okay with the engine and may as well have them finish the winterization process this year. Next year I will do it myself. People have discussed running the engine to get the thermostat to temperature so that when you put the antifreeze in, it circulates to all the right parts. Does that mean I would just run the engine on a hose until the engine heats up? Then shut off and run on a bucket with antifreeze? 

Next, I found a hose connected under the engine. Is this something else that I should drain, what is it used for (see pic 4). 

Next, what is this thing in pic 1? 

Finally, my trailer winch is finicky, what capacity winch should I have? Same weight or more than the boat weighs? 

I just want to make sure there is the least amount of water in the engine until I bring it to get serviced. Our nights are starting to drop below 0 degrees Celsius. 

Thanks! 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tw1Jg4tsuUiAbzNeA

Pic 1 is an antenna.  Pic 4 is the oil drain hose.  If you are uncertain about what to do, it might make sense to have a shop look at it.  Your insurance will not cover a cracked block if you do the winterization. And good liuck finding a shop that can still fit you in - they are all slammed right now.

11 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Pic 1 is an antenna.  Pic 4 is the oil drain hose.  If you are uncertain about what to do, it might make sense to have a shop look at it.  Your insurance will not cover a cracked block if you do the winterization. And good liuck finding a shop that can still fit you in - they are all slammed right now.

I called a shop they said they can take me in two weeks, that's why I want to drain as much water as I can until they can go to work on it. 

Just now, pmm009 said:

I called a shop they said they can take me in two weeks, that's why I want to drain as much water as I can until they can go to work on it. 

Not sure where you are, but heavy snow already at Rogers Pass and a nasty cold front is a'comin' ! 

1 minute ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Not sure where you are, but heavy snow already at Rogers Pass and a nasty cold front is a'comin' ! 

Quebec, it was 20 degrees yesterday, but 5 degrees today and will go below freezing at night. Temperatures have been fluctuating like crazy lately. 

2 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Also, check your insurance.  Mine has a proviso that  cracked blocks will not be covered after Oct 31st.

Good call, I double check that. I know they don't cover if you winterize yourself.