Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust Smell in Cabin

jpb25

I am looking at a 2018 Malibu 23 LSV.  I took it out yesterday for a test run and I was getting occasional wafts of exhaust/exhaust smell on the port side of the boat all the way up to the passenger seat beside the captain's chair.  This boat does not have a surf pipe.  Have any of you run into this issue?  Is this common?  Will a surf pipe resolve the problem?

Other than this issue, this is a great boat.  All regular maintenance has been performed.  Super clean and still under warranty.

Thanks everyone. 

Edited by jpb25

Not surprised and exactly why I had the surf pipe installed in mine.  Don’t want the smell and def don’t want our surfers to be inhaling all that exhaust.  I have zero exhaust smells on my 18 23 LSV. 

Edited by Leftlane
3 hours ago, jpb25 said:

I am looking at a 2018 Malibu 23 LSV.  I took it out yesterday for a test run and I was getting occasional wafts of exhaust/exhaust smell on the port side of the boat all the way up to the passenger seat beside the captain's chair.  This boat does not have a surf pipe.  Have any of you run into this issue?  Is this common?  Will a surf pipe resolve the problem?

Other than this issue, this is a great boat.  All regular maintenance has been performed.  Super clean and still under warranty.

Thanks everyone. 

Just for kicks, you might want to thoroughly inspect the exhaust system to make sure that it doesn't have a hole in a hose or a muffler, a missing clamp, cracked manifold, etc..

• Like 3

My boat is at the dealer now for excessive exhaust coming into the boat. Massive amount of smoke behind it and when you stop it will all waft into the cabin area. Started the last session of the season, so no real trouble shooting has started on it yet.

I have a turned down tip on it right now but have ordered a surf pipe for it to help but I don't think it will solve the problem.

Edited by 18vlxguy
18 hours ago, jpb25 said:

Thanks everyone. 

Not common, only happened once on my 16 when the wind was blowing just right while surfing (10.9 mph).  It may have an exhaust leak somewhere.  If you're transferring the warranty and if anything is wrong like @justgary mentioned above, that should be covered.  FYI there is a fee to transfer the warranty. 

Good luck with your purchase.

15 minutes ago, dcarl said:

FYI there is a fee to transfer the warranty. 

With all due respect, that "fee" is actually a "FEE!!!". 

In other words, go ahead and find a comfortable chair before they tell you the cost. 

14 minutes ago, BigCreek said:

With all due respect, that "fee" is actually a "FEE!!!". 

In other words, go ahead and find a comfortable chair before they tell you the cost. 

Yep $1500-1800 but worth it for a 100k boat IMO.  If the seller didn't disclose that he could try to negotiate that off the price, worth a shot.

Thanks everyone for the input.  I am intending to transfer the warranty.  It will cost $1500.  I agree that it is worth it as added protection.  I am hoping that the warranty transfer inspection will reveal the problem if there is one.

Thanks again.