Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M6DI or LT4 upgrade???

wakestyle

Wondering if I can get perspective from those that live in higher elevation on what engines they went with in their boats. Here in Utah, so considering which engine to get in a build. Will the M6 be just fine/great or should just go with LT4? Thinking of 23 or 24MXZ, possibly M220. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

We are in Wyoming at 6700 feet. Just bought a 25 LSV that's being built. Dealer said M6 was adequate but we went with the LT4 just to be sure. We have had issues on other boats and in my view especially at higher elevation more is better if you can do it. 

I spend 2 weeks in Tahoe (6500 ft).  I have a 23 MXZ with the M6.  It did well, but I did feel it with 12 people and loaded to surf.  I just reordered a 25 LSV and went with the LT4.  If you are at elevation and want to surf with more than 4 people in the larger boats I would put the LT4 in.  My .02. 

I have an m220 with the M6 and it works fine.   It is a very heavy boat and gets up out the water pretty easy.   But if I had it to over again two things I would do different, I would have gotten the LT4 and flip up middle seat in the bow.    I know seat is petty but had it on my previous boat and miss it.    As for the engine, with all of the ballast full, wedge at 3 or 4, 500lbs of lead and a crew of more than 8 you are pushing  well over 13.000 and close to 14,000lbs and the engine rides a little high on the RPM's.    You never regret having too much horsepower so go bigger if you can afford it.      Not to mention the impeller issues on M6, I am on my 3rd now and that is very frustrating.

8 hours ago, Reveille said:

I have an m220 with the M6 and it works fine.   It is a very heavy boat and gets up out the water pretty easy.   But if I had it to over again two things I would do different, I would have gotten the LT4 and flip up middle seat in the bow.    I know seat is petty but had it on my previous boat and miss it.    As for the engine, with all of the ballast full, wedge at 3 or 4, 500lbs of lead and a crew of more than 8 you are pushing  well over 13.000 and close to 14,000lbs and the engine rides a little high on the RPM's.    You never regret having too much horsepower so go bigger if you can afford it.      Not to mention the impeller issues on M6, I am on my 3rd now and that is very frustrating.

oh geez! the 220 is a 2021 year and I thought the consensus was they fixed this for 2021? that's sad to hear. 

It's not based off the model year.

2021's built before roughly now have the exact engine/intake same setup. The fix is happening and you can retrofit it. Most 2021's will be fine.

18 hours ago, Reveille said:

Get you 2 of these - https://bigblueoceanmarine.com/7352-01k-jmp-marine-flexible-impeller-kit-replaces-jabsco-18327-0001-sherwood-15000-15000k-cummins-3916720-mercruiser-47-853126/