Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 23LSV build option questions

mikeayu

Planning to order a 2021 23LSV and could use some help from more experienced Malibu folks (this will be our first boat that is not an I/O, so very new to this) 

We use the boat on Donner Lake, CA - at about 6K foot elevation - the dealer recommended the LT4 engine and standard prop - it's a big upgrade cost (about 14K I think, 10K more than the M6) so wondering if that is the right route to go.

Transom remote $383 - anyone users theirs?  

Phender pros $655

Docking lights $638

Transom lights $816 - do these work well for surfing at dusk?  are white or blue better? 

SternTurn $??? - I'm new to the Inboard/V-drive,  but this seems like overkill

There are 2 different mirror options - any thoughts on those 

Deck Nonskid $783

Soft grip flooring $1,556

Extra set of tower speakers $2,312 - we don't run the stereo so they can hear us at the beach, but it's nice to get good sound when wakeboarding - if we do the basic 5K sound system with one set of tower speakers, will that cover us?  Is adding the second pair later a challenge? 

thx, Mike

6 hours ago, mikeayu said:

Planning to order a 2021 23LSV and could use some help from more experienced Malibu folks (this will be our first boat that is not an I/O, so very new to this) 

We use the boat on Donner Lake, CA - at about 6K foot elevation - the dealer recommended the LT4 engine and standard prop - it's a big upgrade cost (about 14K I think, 10K more than the M6) so wondering if that is the right route to go.  I'm sure someone other than me will be better suited to answer this, but I would think the M6 with the torque prop would be adequate.  

Transom remote $383 - anyone users theirs?  We use ours regularly in our 22VLX and will check this box on our next order.

Phender pros $655  Individual preference but we will not check the box

Docking lights $638  We will check this box.  It's a benefit if you use your boat at night and need to see the dock / ramp when loading or when coming onto the boat hoist in our case. 

Transom lights $816 - do these work well for surfing at dusk?  are white or blue better? I would check this box.  Color is subjective, but would certainly check the box.

SternTurn $??? - I'm new to the Inboard/V-drive,  but this seems like overkill  There are threads here that provide some great pointers on how to drive an inboard.  I don't think stern turn is worth the money, but it's a personal opinion.  Note....when in reverse, your boat will always pull right regardless of where the wheel is due to prop rotation.  A bump in forward will help.  Do some searching here and you'll find some good recommendations.

There are 2 different mirror options - any thoughts on those Completely subjective and the cost is nominal.  Tower mount is great, IMO.

Deck Nonskid $783  This is an absolute yes, IMO.

Soft grip flooring $1,556  This is a yes as well

Extra set of tower speakers $2,312 - we don't run the stereo so they can hear us at the beach, but it's nice to get good sound when wakeboarding - if we do the basic 5K sound system with one set of tower speakers, will that cover us?  Is adding the second pair later a challenge?   You will hear varying opinions on this.  I would say add them.  

thx, Mike

Congrats on the order.  My thoughts are above.  

Thanks. 

Congrats on the build order, its a fun process! We are in the middle of doing it as well (and have our own questions soon). This will be our third 23 LSV, but first new one (the others were used). From our experience, here are my thoughts/opinions...

LT4 engine and standard prop - I am not much help on this one as we only boat at sea level. But at least get the M6. Our 2017 with the Raptor engine did okay fully loaded, but could have used a little more. For us the M6 will hit that sweet spot.

Transom remote $383 -  We had one on our original Yamaha many years ago, the transom on that boat was a great place to hang out. We never used it. Kind of forgot it was even there. We are passing on that option.

Phender pros $655 - our 2012 did not have it, the 2017 did. Love having them. But not a must have if its a budget buster though.

Docking lights $638 - Not for us, we don't boat much at night as there are too many crab pots to dodge.

Transom lights $816 - same as above, so I can't say if they work for dusk surfing. We have only turned them on occasionally at night while the boat is on the lift just for a 'wow' factor on the pier. But not worth it for our boat usage. 

SternTurn  - you can learn to make it work without it, especially for the money. It will be harder to back up than your IO, but you will figure it out. Maybe if we were getting the 25 we would spring for it, but not the 23.

There are 2 different mirror options - any thoughts on those - The tower mirror looks cool, but our dealer pointed out it is one more thing to hit your head on. Especially me since I am usually driving. He talked us out of it.

Deck Nonskid - the wife was so happy to see this as an option!! A definite must for us. At our place, people are always stepping on the places this will go. Wish our other boats had it.

Soft grip flooring - another definite yes for us. Our 2012 only had snap out carpet. The 2017 had this, it was soooo much nicer and easier to maintain.

Extra set of tower speakers - this will elicit many different opinions, here is my experience... I had Rev10's added to our 2012 and loved them! The wife was dubious about it when I had it done over the winter, but the next summer it became a huge plus for us (previously we had no tower speakers). She admitted it was a great idea. Our 2017 had the Rev 8's. They were nice but nowhere near as nice as the Rev 10's. After one summer with the Rev 8's, even the wife insisted we put the Rev 10s on and ditch the Rev 8s. In our opinion they sound that much better (especially at surfing volumes). We are not audiophiles by any means, but the 8's just sounded harsher.    Having said that, if you can get one pair of Rev 10's, for us, that would be perfect. For us a second set seems like overkill (especially since these engines with the surf exhaust run quieter than our 2017 Raptor engine). But to get the Rev 10's Malibu may be forcing you to order the second set. If that is the case we will suck it up, since the smaller speakers did not cut it for us. I guess we can take the second set out if we don't need it and sell them to someone down the line.

Enjoy the process, but don't sweat the little details too much. You will have plenty of fun using the boat for its primary purpose, the little things will fade away!

Transom Remote - If you pick a cove and sit in the water like we do, it's a must. However, for us, the Apple watch has been utilized for these functions more often these days.

Phender Pros - I'd get them, but I would make sure they are in the following places. Starboard side only - Right next to the rear cleat, and right next to the helm. Tie ropes tight-ish to the rear cleat, and forward of the boat to the front cleat (make sure you add em!). I never really tie up to other boats, but I do find myself visiting other docks/marinas. This feature would be used for "parking" at a dock vs tie up to other boats. 

Docking lights - They are a waste of money unless you find yourself docking in the absolute dark with regularity. If you do choose to get them, they aren't like headlights on a car. Don't run on the open water with them on like the rest of the idiots that blind me at night.

Mirror - Unless required by your state law, don't get one. If you must have one, don't get the one that mounts to the windshield. If you have to mount it to the windshield, don't mount it on the driver's side. It's in the way more than it is helpful. 

Deck Non-Skid and Soft-Grip Flooring - both are 100% requirement. Can't believe it's not standard yet. 

Extra Set of Tower Speakers - Don't get extra, get better. Don't get 4 x Rev-8's. Get 2 x Rev-10's. Less space taken up. Less head knocking on extra speakers. If the dealer has this option on a boat in the lot, give it a test listen. If not, trust me. It's a better option.

Edited by BigCreek
10 hours ago, mikeayu said:

We use the boat on Donner Lake, CA - at about 6K foot elevation - the dealer recommended the LT4 engine and standard prop - it's a big upgrade cost (about 14K I think, 10K more than the M6) so wondering if that is the right route to go.  M6 would be my vote at 6k.  Up to you, if you have an extra 10k this isn't a bad place to put it, but I think you'd be fine with an M6.

Transom remote $383 - anyone users theirs?  We did add this for convenience and it's not that much $ to add

Phender pros $655  I skipped this but we don't tie up.  Ever.  Others that do tie up a lot have good things to say about them.

Docking lights $638 We don't boat late at night, so skipped this

Transom lights $816 - do these work well for surfing at dusk?  are white or blue better?  I'd do blue if you do this option.  I skipped it (don't boat after dark hardly at all)

SternTurn $??? - I'm new to the Inboard/V-drive,  but this seems like overkill It's about 10k if I recall correctly.  Not worth it IMO, practice turns and learn the tricks of driving an inboard and you should be fine

There are 2 different mirror options - any thoughts on those I didn't do the tower mount as I always hit my head on those

Deck Nonskid $783 Must have IMO

Soft grip flooring $1,556 Must have IMO.  Ever look at the new boats out there that have carpet?  Instantly looks cheap.

Extra set of tower speakers $2,312 - we don't run the stereo so they can hear us at the beach, but it's nice to get good sound when wakeboarding - if we do the basic 5K sound system with one set of tower speakers, will that cover us?  Is adding the second pair later a challenge?  I did 1 set, but we don't use the stereo loud very much.  Smaller lake and try not to upset the neighbors......

thx, Mike

We just did a build, here are my 2 cents.......

At Donner Lake you will loose ~18% of your power compared to sea level with the M6.  That will reduce the M6 from 450 ft-lbs of torque to ~370 ft-lbs..  Is  370ft-lbs enough for the 23 LSV?  My thought is no and here is why: 370 ft-lbs is 30 ft-lbs less than the M5 produces.  I have not ridden in a 23 LSV with the M5.  There are a few complaints on here from those that do have the M5.  The general consensus on here is that the M6 is the way to go vs the M5. 

In summary the M6 at 6000' of altitude will produce ~8% less power than the M5 does at sea level which is probably going to leave you underwhelmed.

Supercharged motors (LT4) de-rate much slower with altitude than naturally aspirated motors (M6).  The 606 ft-lbs that the LT4 produces is more than you need.  It would be nice if there was a supercharged M6 instead of needing to step all the way up to the LS4.

Edited by BLSousa
12 hours ago, mikeayu said:

We use the boat on Donner Lake, CA - at about 6K foot elevation - the dealer recommended the LT4 engine and standard prop - it's a big upgrade cost (about 14K I think, 10K more than the M6) so wondering if that is the right route to go.

no opinion here maybe at your elevation being under powered is no fun 

Transom remote $383 - anyone users theirs?  

no my 4 year old turns the music off and I have to turn the whole system back on. Doesn’t control Spotify songs. Worthless 

Phender pros $655

yes they are super helpful if you dock at all. If you just go from your lift to the lake and back to the lift then no. If you ever dock then yes 

Docking lights $638

if you boat at night a lot yes. If not a $30 handheld LED spotlight will work, hard to see at night regardless unless moon it out 

Transom lights $816 - do these work well for surfing at dusk?  are white or blue better? 

yes yes yes. You can surf at night no issue but the issue is the driver can really see the lake ahead even with the docking lights. If you are out at night yes. Mine are white. I would prefer RGB and I’d probably buy the blue ones instead. 

SternTurn $??? - I'm new to the Inboard/V-drive,  but this seems like overkill

not worth it for me. Sure if I had it it would be helpful in some situations but I came from a 17 footer with outboard and I’ve adjusted to the 25 just fine. if money is no object yes do it 

There are 2 different mirror options - any thoughts on those 

I like the tower but others prefer the glass mount. 

Deck Nonskid $783

i dont have it and don’t really want it 

Soft grip flooring $1,556

yes yes yes 

Extra set of tower speakers $2,312 - we don't run the stereo so they can hear us at the beach, but it's nice to get good sound when wakeboarding - if we do the basic 5K sound system with one set of tower speakers, will that cover us?  Is adding the second pair later a challenge? 

get the 10” with horns. Four is better than two. You need 4 for wakeboarding.

thx, Mike

3 hours ago, BigCreek said:

Docking lights - They are a waste of money unless you find yourself docking in the absolute dark with regularity. If you do choose to get them, they aren't like headlights on a car. Don't run on the open water with them on like the rest of the idiots that blind me at night.

Extra Set of Tower Speakers - Don't get extra, get better. Don't get 4 x Rev-8's. Get 2 x Rev-10's. Less space taken up. Less head knocking on extra speakers. If the dealer has this option on a boat in the lot, give it a test listen. If not, trust me. It's a better option.

I agree with you on that.  On our lake, there are a lot of pontoons running around at night with docking lights on and it drives me crazy!  For us, they are a must.  Coming home to put the boat on the hoist, or putting the boat on a trailer at night when we travel with it is an absolute must have for us.  Most of the ramps where we travel in Northern MI don't have lights and it's MUCH easier to load when you have docking lights.  YMMV, but for us it's nececessary.  

Interesting perspective on the tower speakers.  I had not thought about that.  

2020 23 LSV here. I sure wouldn’t want less grunt than our M6 at ~700’  MSL.Stern Drive meh....  For me... minimize sound system and maximize torque. We loaded our boat with lots of goodies and std sound. Blue stern lites everyone loves. Use docking lights all the time since we love evening cruises. Rule of thumb 3% loss/thousand feet elevation. I’d go supercharged and std prop. You’re gonna love it!. Cheers

I have a 2020 23 MXZ with the M6 and we spend 2 weeks in the South Lake Tahoe keys every year.  (slightly higher than donner I believe)

The M6 pushed the boat around fine.  We surf, had all the tanks filled and the plug and play bags in the rear and 350 lbs of lead in the front.  With 8 people we could still surf but you could feel the boat working to plane initially but I was actually fairly impressed with the M6 capability.  That being said,  I am planning my next boat and it will most certainly have the LT4.  I guess my point is that the M6 will work for your purposes, you will still be able to surf etc., but you will feel the difference.  I was coming from an 08 23 LSV with the 330 monsoon.  We still surfed that boat in tahoe with more ballast than the MXZ so its not like you wouldnt be able to do the things you want to do, but you will take longer to plane out etc.  My thought is you can't really change the engine.  The rest of the stuff you can.  Spend the $$$ now and go LT4.  

I also added Stern Turn to my boat.  (I installed it myself)  I will say this is probably the most underrated item.  I have driven boats all my life, but I find reasons to use it all the time.  My wife refuses to have a boat without it now.  I cannot say enough good things about it.  You don't NEED it, but you don't realize how nice it is until you spend a season with one.  Sorry to encourage you to spend all your $$$ but you only live once.  Enjoy it.

• Like 1

Are they still doing factory tours amidst the covid-ness?

On 10/8/2020 at 7:24 PM, Outlaw said:

And if you can get this way to the factory the tour is super cool.

On 10/8/2020 at 9:04 AM, BigCreek said:

So much this.  Seems the newer the boat, the more the likelihood that they do this. :rant:

14 minutes ago, formulaben said:

So much this.  Seems the newer the boat, the more the likelihood that they do this. :rant:

we use them to night surf on friends G but no one else is around snd for approaching his lift , they are great for spotting surfer in water, but we do fine without them on my boat

1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

they are great for spotting surfer in water

I totally get this, and I'm all for it if only they would turn them off once they've picked up the surfer.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, very helpful feedback and placed my order today!  Got all the expensive stuff (LT4, SternTurn, transom light, non-skid flooring & deck track)  Opted to have the dealer install a pair of Rev10's (apperently malibu will only do 4 rev 10s, or 2 rev 8's) 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, mikeayu said:

Thanks everyone, very helpful feedback and placed my order today!  Got all the expensive stuff (LT4, SternTurn, transom light, non-skid flooring & deck track)  Opted to have the dealer install a pair of Rev10's (apperently malibu will only do 4 rev 10s, or 2 rev 8's) 

Congrats!  Now post a pic of what you ordered, please.

• Like 2

The build system automatically adds two sets if you select Rev-10s, but they will install a single set of Rev-10s if requested.  That is how I ordered mine, and the dealer got confirmation from Malibu that they will add the one set.  

On 10/22/2020 at 3:39 PM, Slayer said:

Congrats!  Now post a pic of what you ordered, please.

This is far better anyway; you can get the non-dsp amps from wet sounds and really make them sing.  I went this route and love them; will probably sell my OEM DSP amp and replace with better/tuneable amp.