Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is it ok to take boat out with speedo/pitots not hooked up?

Im pretty sure it wont be a problem but better safe than sorry. I took my speedo gauges out to get them rebuilt (ended up going with sierra gauges instead of OEM now). I want to take the boat out this weekend before the gauges get here. Will I ruin anything with having the pitot tubes not hooked up to a gauge?

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Wouldn't they still be connected to the Medallion black box under the dash?

Don't know.  I thought that if you unhook the gauges and use the boat that you let the air out of the system and fill it with water.

4 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

So no black box?  COnsider yourself lucky.  Flip the pitots on the stern UP and just zip tie the tubes, folded over.

Not even sure what a blackbox is but I dont think so, just straight up pitots ran to tubes straight plugged into the back of the gauge. Will do, thanks for the advice! My pitots are all jacked up and snapped too. To be honest, Im fine running without gauges for a bit as when were wakeboarding I go off feel and usually get there without watching the gauge too closely. 

Can the black box that the pitot lines go into be removed?   Or is it part of the MDC?  It’s been a while since I’ve been under the dash.   I switched over to GPS and removed the pickups.    Would like to toss that module if I could.   

Edited by ROFF
10 hours ago, ROFF said:

Can the black box that the pitot lines go into be removed?   Or is it part of the MDC?  It’s been a while since I’ve been under the dash.   I switched over to GPS and removed the pickups.    Would like to toss that module if I could.   

You need MDC for tach and multi-gauge, even if you swapped for GPS.

You can cut off the pitot lines and plug them though.

Yea that’s what I thought.   I have this thing about removing unnecessary stuff.   Loved removing the old stereo head unit, transom remote, and all of the wiring.   

speedo lines are still there but I replaced the pickups with transom lights and used the tubes to pull the new wires through.   

1 hour ago, ROFF said:

Yea that’s what I thought.   I have this thing about removing unnecessary stuff.   Loved removing the old stereo head unit, transom remote, and all of the wiring.   

speedo lines are still there but I replaced the pickups with transom lights and used the tubes to pull the new wires through.   

Pics of the LED light install?  Did you have to drill new holes?

I had to drill one hole for outside of the light housing.   The other side used the existing speedo pickup screw hole.    Ran the wires up though the existing speedo tubes.     Wired them to the rear locker courtesy light which wasn’t needed.  

https://www.pactrademarine.com/underwater-lights-c-47_44/2pcs-pontoon-boat-blue-led-underwater-light-ss-316-housing-p-1669.html

92888B67-D1AB-49BC-A829-E7E931A9E050.jpeg

462D731E-5C65-46D2-A952-4624DE8D3789.jpeg