Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 a22 Vandal - deal or no deal?

DenaliG

Is this a good deal? I’m in the market for my first inboard and this is the toP of the price range.. been looking at mid 2000s wakesetters for 10k less. and saw this posted and became curious 

42k, 2011 a22 Vandal, looks great condition, aftermarket ballasts included.. set up for surfing which is a plus because that’s mostly what will be done with it. Tubing as well for the kids 

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/348210863272596/?ref=browse_tab&search_query=Axis&tracking={"qid"%3A"6880506956681499289"%2C"mf_story_key"%3A"3455611381160139"%2C"commerce_rank_obj"%3A"{\"target_id\"%3A3455611381160139%2C\"target_type\"%3A0%2C\"primary_position\"%3A-1%2C\"ranking_signature\"%3A0%2C\"commerce_channel\"%3A503%2C\"value\"%3A0%2C\"upsell_type\"%3Anull}"}

If you're looking to specifically surf that boats hull is not necessarily set up to make the "best" surf wave.  By far one of my favorite wakeboard wakes though.  the 09-13 hull is the same and 14+ they received surfgate.  Price range is good considering I sold my 2011 for 46k after the 4th of July.  for 99% of the population this boat will do more than anyone can ask for.  If you get a wake shaper . . . I had the nauticurl, it makes the surf wake much better.  I also had a 2012 swim platform that I bought because the 2011 platform cut into the surf wake.  I think what Axis gave out of the box back then for the money you couldn't beat it.  Axis wakeboard wakes in my opinion were always better than Malibu's I rode.  Really liked the floating wedge as you dropped and went (for wakeboarding).  I never used wedge for surfing as it didn't fit my needs.  Good luck if you do decide to get this boat as I don't think you would be disappointed.  

They surf great with a suction cup device! I had a 2011 A22 that was a VERY capable surf boat.

That being said, I'd consider that this boat has quite a few seats splitting apart. Beware that re-covering a lot of the interior is not a cheap endeavor.

I’d likely roll with the seats the way they are currently and replace all seats in a year or two.. or maybe replace the 3 seat cushions for the time being knowing in the future I’ll redo all of them when I go to refurb/update the interior with seadek. 

Thanks all for the input. Gonna pass on it since it is top of the price range I want to be in and don’t want the headache of replacing the seats right off the bat. Thanks everyone 

1 minute ago, boardjnky4 said:

If it were me I’d use the interior and the time of year to negotiate down into the high 30s.

You can get a 2013 in great shape for about the same price up here and no interior redo hassles.  I think there will be LOTS of boats in the spring.

Thanks - I may wait until spring or jump on this 04 LSV which is more in price range and in great condition. This leaves me some left over cash to do “wants” to the boat rather than “needs”..

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2004-Wakesetter-23-LSV-Very-Clean--for-sale-Traverse-City-Michigan-115421.aspx

yes it’s yellow.. never thought I would want a yellow boat, but have a wrap in mind to make it look pretty cool. It’s not a bad looking boat either way. Anyway... appreciate all the input.