Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf for 40k or less - boat and set up

DenaliG

I think you are going to have to get a lot less specific here.  Start with what boats people think make good surf boats and then consider going to that particular brand forum to ask for help on setup.  

For Example:  A 2005 tige 24V can make a pretty good surf boat and can be had for under 40K.  

1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

I think you are going to have to get a lot less specific here.  Start with what boats people think make good surf boats and then consider going to that particular brand forum to ask for help on setup.  

For Example:  A 2005 tige 24V can make a pretty good surf boat and can be had for under 40K.  

You are likely right. I was just interested in all the different configurations out there. So that being said — best surf boat under 40k 

This year I bought a 2007 23 LSV for $35K cash with a plug and play ballast system.  All I added was a 1235 prop and about 250 lb of extra lead ballast weight that is in bags that I can move around as needed.  The wave is great 

it seems that the minimum budget for a viable surf boat is $30k so you should get a decent ride for $40k.

you are probably in the market for a 2006-2008 23LSV . or up to a 2012 Centurion Enzo.

if you are considering all brands you should find a good deal.  especially now that the summer season is over.

9 hours ago, Zippymbr said:

This year I bought a 2007 23 LSV for $35K cash with a plug and play ballast system.  All I added was a 1235 prop and about 250 lb of extra lead ballast weight that is in bags that I can move around as needed.  The wave is great 

How many hours on the boat when you got it?? There is an 08 I aM slightly considering but it’s in rough shape for 32k, a good amount of upholstery work needs done, has 1200hr, looks like it has sat outside it’s entire life.

Edited by DenaliG
1 hour ago, DenaliG said:

How many hours on the boat when you got it?? There is an 08 I am slightly considering but it’s in rough shape for 32k, a good amount of upholstery work needs done, has 1200hr, looks like it has sat outside it’s entire life.

I wouldn't be concerned about the hours but if the outside/interior have been neglected its usually a given that so was the drive train.

It looks very neglected, a lot of rips and stains on interior, gel coat is faded and many hard water spots. Just don’t have a good feeling about the boat so looking elsewhere. 

This boat will certainly suit your needs and is currently for sale.  No I do not know the owner.  Bet you can get it close to 30K.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/d/lewisville-2006-malibu-wakesetter-vlx/7207714793.html

or

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/bod/d/coppell-06-wakesetter-21-vlx/7204582912.html

Edited by JLT3
added link
On 10/6/2020 at 8:44 AM, DenaliG said:

How many hours on the boat when you got it?? There is an 08 I aM slightly considering but it’s in rough shape for 32k, a good amount of upholstery work needs done, has 1200hr, looks like it has sat outside it’s entire life.

Mine was in excellent shape like new interior the stereo was shot but it only had 265 hours first owner only took it out a few times a year.  I have put 80 hours so far no problems 

1 hour ago, Zippymbr said:

Mine was in excellent shape like new interior the stereo was shot but it only had 265 hours first owner only took it out a few times a year.  I have put 80 hours so far no problems 

It sounds like you got a smokin deal! I can’t find anything near that for the price!

On 10/6/2020 at 10:49 AM, JLT3 said:

This boat will certainly suit your needs and is currently for sale.  No I do not know the owner.  Bet you can get it close to 30K.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/d/lewisville-2006-malibu-wakesetter-vlx/7207714793.html

or

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/bod/d/coppell-06-wakesetter-21-vlx/7204582912.html

Great looking boats. I may have to inquire. Thanks! 

24 minutes ago, DenaliG said:

It sounds like you got a smokin deal! I can’t find anything near that for the price!

Yep cash talks, he had just bought a brand new boat.  I would wait till next year late winter when guys are ordering new boats.  I asked the local Centurion dealer if he had any leads and sent me to my seller

17 minutes ago, Zippymbr said:

Yep cash talks, he had just bought a brand new boat.  I would wait till next year late winter when guys are ordering new boats.  I asked the local Centurion dealer if he had any leads and sent me to my seller

Good idea - I was thinking of buying now knowing people won’t want to store over the winter if buying a new one or if they didn’t use it as much as they thought. I think with COVID, everyone has used it more than they thought they would and as many boats aren’t coming around..

19 minutes ago, DenaliG said:

Good idea - I was thinking of buying now knowing people won’t want to store over the winter if buying a new one or if they didn’t use it as much as they thought. I think with COVID, everyone has used it more than they thought they would and as many boats aren’t coming around..

Cost to store a boat indoors for 7 month up here?  $500 bucks.  Hardly a determinant or deterrent I'd say.

39 minutes ago, DenaliG said:

Buying now at peak market I think is a bad idea. Good time to sell but the market for used boat is low.  This keeps prices artificially high.  

26 minutes ago, Zippymbr said:

Buying now at peak market I think is a bad idea. Good time to sell but the market for used boat is low.  This keeps prices artificially high.  

This ia bad time to sell; a good time to buy IME.

8 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

This ia bad time to sell; a good time to buy IME.

Bad time to sell?  The used market has super low inventory.  Basic economic principles apply, You can get top dollar for your used boat in that kind of market.

Yes, bad time to sell.  Summer boats  not wanting to be stored; 2021s coming online fast and furious; and inventories are ramping up.  The time to sell is the spring.  Not fall.  Covid has not fundamentally altered market forces.  Its warped them a bit, but normalcy is returning.

I would think inventory would be lowest in spring as people would be buying up to use them that summer and less people buying now knowing they can’t use the boat (with exceptions obviously) due to winterization and storage. But I’m brand new to this...

21 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Yes, bad time to sell.  Summer boats  not wanting to be stored; 2021s coming online fast and furious; and inventories are ramping up.  The time to sell is the spring.  Not fall.  Covid has not fundamentally altered market forces.  Its warped them a bit, but normalcy is returning.

Your area must be very different from mine.  Prices for anything used here is crazy high right now.  I hope it calms down by spring