Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 25LSV vs. M220 - advice?

SkiSurfFam

Hi there, new to the forum and new to Malibu (we hope soon - we are upgrading from a Cobalt).

Our family has skiers and we all want to get into surfing. We've test drove the 25LSV, and are pretty sold. Seems like an amazing surf boat where we can also ski (and wakeboard).

Obviously the M220 is new, so no one has a ton of experience with it - curious what folks think about the M220 vs. the 25LSV? We wouldn't go M240 just for the sheer size/weight - and we like the idea of the longer/bigger LSV.  

Our home lake is pretty choppy/big, so I've been reading that the M might handle the chop better (which is appealing) - but from what I read, seems like the LSV will be a much better ski wake and all around boat for us.

Would love any advice from the Malibu family - and hopefully we are joining you soon!

@SkiSurfFam which cobalt are you coming out of?

The performance of the 25 for skiing will likely be a bit better than the m220, due to the longer hull.  I have not been in the m220 yet, but have spent time in the 240, and i would not want to ski behind it. I am told the wake profile is pretty similar between the m220 and m240, biggest difference being the surf wake. Again, just based on friends & dealer comments.

I do know that some of the older cobalts skied pretty well for what they were, but had a very firm wake, with a solid lip on it.  In any of the Malibu lineup you will find a much softer wake than what you are accustomed to.  We like our 25lsv, and i would buy it again, but we don't ski behind it, so i can't say what that is really like. 

@asnowman Thanks for the reply! We are coming off a CS22, so smaller/lighter for sure.

It does seem like any Malibu will have a better wake for all purposes. I guess I'm really trying to figure out how to trade-off size (the extra space inside is appealing) for cost and potential comfort in the chop. And that it's new, and folks seem to love their LSVs

We definately are in the love the LSV category.  Our first Malibu was a 23 LSV, and we still miss it.  We have a dedicated ski boat, so no need to ski behind the 25, though next summer i probably will just for fun.  That said, the 25 handles crappy water very well. I do think the mxz or M series would be a bit better, but drop the wedge into lift mode, fill the center tank partway, and set the cruise for 24, it deals with windswept chop up to about a foot without issue, and we run right over the wakes from the bigger cruisers without much concern.

• Like 2

FWIW, the 23 MXZ bow sits considerably lower than a 25 LSV on the water.  So much so that I am likely selling mine for a 25 LSV.  Although it's not a drastic difference, it is noticeable when picking up surfers in heavy water.  It is not an issue at all when under way.  Maybe the 24 MXZ sits higher than the 23.  

I'm personally torn between the freeboard of the M220 and the interior space of the 25LSV.  

• Like 2
19 hours ago, djheywood said:

FWIW, the 23 MXZ bow sits considerably lower than a 25 LSV on the water.  So much so that I am likely selling mine for a 25 LSV.  Although it's not a drastic difference, it is noticeable when picking up surfers in heavy water.  It is not an issue at all when under way.  Maybe the 24 MXZ sits higher than the 23.  

I'm personally torn between the freeboard of the M220 and the interior space of the 25LSV.  

We experience the same in heavy water in a 23 LSV.  We are 100% in the high freeboard 'boat' for the next one.  

Every MXZ I have been in (22, 23, and 24 MXZ) definitely seem to sit lower in the front and are easier to dip. 

I can’t speak for the M220 but the 25LSV certainly handles moderate chop pretty well.  

• Like 2

25 is the better choice, it's no deep v colbalt in chop though but not bad for a wake boat. Centurion would be the best here but it's a limited use boat IMO with one purpose.  The 25 can do just about everything in excellent category.

It's longer profile makes cruising a lot nicer compared to the smaller 23lsv I can only assume similar for m220 sized boat.. not to mention if your on decent size lake the resale will be way better on a 25, for numerous reasons including a TB. The m220 is a short stumpy looking boat similar but not quite as bad as a G21.

Nearly all other brands have an even larger boat than the 25lsv so the trend is not moving smaller.. resale on the 25 will continue to be the absolute best out there.. it's just a too good at everything type of boat for near or same cost as the smaller boats.. crazy but still the best boat and performance for the money out there still 5yrs & running!

Edited by The Hulk
On 10/9/2020 at 3:57 AM, The Hulk said:

25 is the better choice, it's no deep v colbalt in chop though but not bad for a wake boat. Centurion would be the best here but it's a limited use boat IMO with one purpose.  The 25 can do just about everything in excellent category.

It's longer profile makes cruising a lot nicer compared to the smaller 23lsv I can only assume similar for m220 sized boat.. not to mention if your on decent size lake the resale will be way better on a 25, for numerous reasons including a TB. The m220 is a short stumpy looking boat similar but not quite as bad as a G21.

Nearly all other brands have an even larger boat than the 25lsv so the trend is not moving smaller.. resale on the 25 will continue to be the absolute best out there.. it's just a too good at everything type of boat for near or same cost as the smaller boats.. crazy but still the best boat and performance for the money out there still 5yrs & running!

I need a bigger truck😂 being an older member, I can remember when you couldn’t give away a used 24.7 lsv

On 10/16/2020 at 4:01 PM, Slurpee said:

25LSV all the way. I went from ho-hum with my 22LSV to perma-grin with my 25. 

I was ho-hum with a 2016 and 2017 23 lsv and now I am in love with my 2019 25 lsv. When I owned a 23, I was often envious of others with slightly bigger boats. But now that I have a 25 lsv, I am completely satisfied with no desire to sell, change, upgrade or whatever...not even an M240 is in my scope. 

37 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

How much better does the 25 ride than the 23 in the real rough chop?  We are on a big rough lake.  Does it sit higher in the water?

I've a decent bit of time in the 23LSV.  The 25LSV obviously rides better in rough chop.  How much better is hard to measure or explain since what are you going to compare it to?  Or what are you going to measure it with?  Is the 23LSV really close to what you want comfort wise already?  Or a long way off?  I really like the 23LSV.  It's a sweet spot for a reason. I'll say that I got the okay from the CFO when we went for a ride in our neighbor's son's 25LSV and the wife drove it through the weekend waves with a much more comfortable thump cross rollers than the normal slam of our 22LSV.

I'll tell you what the 25LSV does NOT do well though.  It doesn't put out a clean wakeboard wake for kids to learn on.  My 22 had a crisp set of wakes with no wash at 16-20mph with the wedge in lift.  Maybe the rear port tank about 25% full.  You can't duplicate that in the 25LSV.  Happily my boy has progressed to being comfortable at 20+ mph and that's where you can start to get nice wakes again with a 25LSV.  That is my only criticism, and I think it's just a losing battle with physics.  I get mine back from the canvas shop tomorrow with a new over the tower cover.  Can't wait to get it back!!!

• Like 2

On the comparison topic, how do the modern 25's compare with the 2013 era 247 hulls.  Obviously there isn't a ton of length / space to be gained by only going 6" longer, but I am curious about the performance differences.  We are on a big lake that gets pretty rough - all relative, but to the point that I sometimes have to go surf speeds to cross open water to reach protected / smooth waters.  We are by no where near experts behind the boat and while I sure it would be better, I don't know how much we would appreciate the likely wave improvements over our current boat.

I have never driven a 25lsv but my friend has a nice 2014 247 lsv that is the big brother to my 14 23lsv.  The 247 feels a lot bigger not so much from the length but moreso (for me) in the width (Extra 8-12” iirc).  LS3 motor in his 247 is a bit more powerful than my 409ss but feels similar underway.  The extra mass/length and horsepower of the 247 makes it a smoother ride in the chop and that is definitely noticeable.  I have only surfed behind his boat and it’s wave is not really much different from my 23lsv, maybe just a tad bigger.  

3 hours ago, Slurpee said:

I've a decent bit of time in the 23LSV.  The 25LSV obviously rides better in rough chop.  How much better is hard to measure or explain since what are you going to compare it to?  Or what are you going to measure it with?  Is the 23LSV really close to what you want comfort wise already?  Or a long way off?  I really like the 23LSV.  It's a sweet spot for a reason. I'll say that I got the okay from the CFO when we went for a ride in our neighbor's son's 25LSV and the wife drove it through the weekend waves with a much more comfortable thump cross rollers than the normal slam of our 22LSV.

I'll tell you what the 25LSV does NOT do well though.  It doesn't put out a clean wakeboard wake for kids to learn on.  My 22 had a crisp set of wakes with no wash at 16-20mph with the wedge in lift.  Maybe the rear port tank about 25% full.  You can't duplicate that in the 25LSV.  Happily my boy has progressed to being comfortable at 20+ mph and that's where you can start to get nice wakes again with a 25LSV.  That is my only criticism, and I think it's just a losing battle with physics.  I get mine back from the canvas shop tomorrow with a new over the tower cover.  Can't wait to get it back!!!

That's helpful.  Where we are: my buddy just got an 2020 X22.  Sets the cruise at 22 - 24 and cruises.  We have to go much slower in our 23 to try and mitigate hurting someone or the boat.  I would venture to say ~18 through similar snot.  This is fairly apples to apples as this is my family following his family up the main channel.  I do realize the price points in a 23 LSV and a X22 are worlds apart.

3 hours ago, amartin said:

On the comparison topic, how do the modern 25's compare with the 2013 era 247 hulls.  Obviously there isn't a ton of length / space to be gained by only going 6" longer, but I am curious about the performance differences.  We are on a big lake that gets pretty rough - all relative, but to the point that I sometimes have to go surf speeds to cross open water to reach protected / smooth waters.  We are by no where near experts behind the boat and while I sure it would be better, I don't know how much we would appreciate the likely wave improvements over our current boat.

Been a bit since I have been in the 247, but the new 25s listed weight is 1000 lbs more than the 247 of that era, and it likely may be more with the newer towers and options loaded on these boats.   The extra mass alone is certainly going to be worth something in handling chop.  The busiest lake I frequent I cruise at 20+ in my 25 LSV feeling comfortable. Rough is all relative speaking but on that same lake my old 21VLX was not comfortable at all and even my 2016 23LSV was noticeably worse than the 25.  All apples and oranges I know, but may give some perspective.  

2 hours ago, PNWoke said:

I have never driven a 25lsv but my friend has a nice 2014 247 lsv that is the big brother to my 14 23lsv.  The 247 feels a lot bigger not so much from the length but moreso (for me) in the width (Extra 8-12” iirc).  LS3 motor in his 247 is a bit more powerful than my 409ss but feels similar underway.  The extra mass/length and horsepower of the 247 makes it a smoother ride in the chop and that is definitely noticeable.  I have only surfed behind his boat and it’s wave is not really much different from my 23lsv, maybe just a tad bigger.  

Width of the 23 and 247 should be the same I am pretty sure.