Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake Shapers- Swell vs. Naticurl vs. others...

SpaceKat

I have a 2008 Malibu VRide and am looking for advice on the best wake shaper to get for surfing. Naticurl and Swell keep coming up as top choices in the research I’ve done. 

Opinions on these and/others?

I have used both and they both work great.

Used the Nauticurl on my 2010 VLX and sold it when I upgraded to a 2018 LSV.

I am using the Swell now that I borrowed from a buddy on my 2007 247 LSV.

It won't be much difference in the waves they will produce. I would go with whichever you can get cheapest when you order.

We got the Mission Delta when it first came out. It has worked better than we even imagined and we still use it all the time. Probably has 350 hours on it. Allows us to just fill everything evenly and use the shaper to determine which side to surf and only takes 15 seconds to change over. Key seems to be put it as far back on hull as possible and a couple inches below water line.

• 2 months later...
On 10/5/2020 at 9:42 AM, jwl019 said:

I have used both and they both work great.

Used the Nauticurl on my 2010 VLX and sold it when I upgraded to a 2018 LSV.

I am using the Swell now that I borrowed from a buddy on my 2007 247 LSV.

It won't be much difference in the waves they will produce. I would go with whichever you can get cheapest when you order.

What's your ballast setup on your 247? 

I got the 247 in late August so had to use what I could find until my upgrades from Black Friday come in.  The wave was really good, and it actually impressed me with just how good it was.

Ballast was:

1) stock rear and center full (don't have the bow stock tank option)

2) 900# sacs in each rear locker

3) 650# sac on floor against rear seats

4) 150# in bow for tall wave or 400# for longer wave

5) 500# of lead: 100# in front of each rear locker sac, 100# in bow under seats, remainder scattered down each side under seats.

My Black Friday purchases for next season are 1140# piggyback sacs for rear lockers and plumbing kit, 300# u-shaped bow bag for under seats and reversible pump install kit.

My goal is to only have the 650# sac on the floor and everything else hidden under seats/lockers.