Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tilly’s Marine is no longer authorized Malibu dealer

phinz

Received this email from Malibu,

As a valued owner, we wanted to communicate to you that the new ownership at Tilly’s Marine has made it known that they are ending their relationship with Malibu Boats. We are shocked and disappointed by their action and our first and foremost concern is you! We’ve prided ourselves with not only providing the absolute best ski, wakeboard and wakesurf boats, but also ensuring that you have a reliable and trustworthy service support team. To that point, effective immediately Tilly’s Marine is no longer authorized to provide warranty service for Malibu or Axis products and will have no access to genuine Malibu parts or Malibu provided parts. 

So who is going to be the new dealer for Malibu and Axis in the SoCal area?

The SE Wisconsin dealer recently switched to Centurion/Supreme after being the primary Malibu dealer around here for years.  Is this a trend nationwide for Malibu?  I know Skipper Buds in Madison is a Malibu dealer and there may be a Malibu dealer around the Fox Lakes, IL.  I was shocked at the initial news of them switching, but there also are no Centurion dealers around here either so maybe it makes sense.  There's never (as far as I can remember) been a Centurion dealer at the Milwaukee Boat show so maybe they're trying to bring the brand here.  

53 minutes ago, efjeld said:

The SE Wisconsin dealer recently switched to Centurion/Supreme after being the primary Malibu dealer around here for years.  Is this a trend nationwide for Malibu?  I know Skipper Buds in Madison is a Malibu dealer and there may be a Malibu dealer around the Fox Lakes, IL.  I was shocked at the initial news of them switching, but there also are no Centurion dealers around here either so maybe it makes sense.  There's never (as far as I can remember) been a Centurion dealer at the Milwaukee Boat show so maybe they're trying to bring the brand here.  

Dealer turnover happens every year, usually when HQ doesn’t renew an under performing franchise. My understanding is this was the case with Tinus. My guess is they embraced Centurion as a last resort. 

Very different deal than Tilly’s 

Heard some inside info that MasterCraft has been after tillys for a few years now. Apparently the deal and money was too much to pass up and the Austin Keene situation sealed the deal.

kind of a bad situation for people who have been loyal tillys customers for years. Planned on ordering a new boat from them again this year after a few and now just left in the dark. They are definitely handling the situation in a bad way. Boulder boats here I come I guess 

5 hours ago, SOcalSurfer said:

Heard some inside info that MasterCraft has been after tillys for a few years now. Apparently the deal and money was too much to pass up and the Austin Keene situation sealed the deal.

kind of a bad situation for people who have been loyal tillys customers for years. Planned on ordering a new boat from them again this year after a few and now just left in the dark. They are definitely handling the situation in a bad way. Boulder boats here I come I guess 

They’re working to get a new dealer situated. My understanding is they’ve already set up a couple of warranty / service locations. 

We went thru something similar in Portland in 2009 when the dealer got arrested and shut down; Malibu had to act fast to find a new home in town; we got Active Water Sports!  What an upgrade that turned out to be. 

Edited by IXFE
11 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Malibu dumped Don Q. and the Wizard lake crew when they were the top dealer in the world for a few years running.  Who knows why corporate does what it does??

I think Malibu doesn't like when dealer's sell more "other brands" than Malibus.  I believe that was the case with Wizard.  Look at how many Nautiques are in AB and BC lakes now!   Curious if Tilley's also sold another brand.

Too bad Malibu's product wasn't better.

I head that while Wizard was still selling Malibus, they would take people out on the 23LSV and the G23.  After said lake test, customer bought G23 every time.

20 hours ago, efjeld said:

I didn’t know Tinus is no longer Malibu.  You still have Munson Ski in Volo IL and I believe one in Green Lake area.

Twin Lakes Marine in Kenosha County has been a Centurion dealer now for 2+ years I believe.  They were at the MKE boat show last year with them (my buddy bought one at the show).

Edited by DAI

For Orange County/South LA/Inland Empire, Wake Tech Marine located in Temecula, CA is the source

Then in the northern part of Los Angeles and the Ventura/ Santa Barbara area it's VS Marine 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, phinz said:

For Orange County/South LA/Inland Empire, Wake Tech Marine located in Temecula, CA is the source

Then in the northern part of Los Angeles and the Ventura/ Santa Barbara area it's VS Marine 

+1. WakeTech are a great bunch of guys. Honest and affordable. They have been designated as Malibu’s authorized service and warranty center 

• Like 2

Best news in years. Waketech working on my boat over tillys. I’ll take it. When your in a pinch you can call them and they will always do there best.  

• Like 2

MC has an interesting situation here.  This is the distance between the TWO MC dealers.  The new one just came on about a month ago from a MC / Supra dealership.  MC folded the MC side of things and moved it 20 miles north and gave it to someone else.  Now you have a MC / Centurion dealership.  Interesting.  

I have always been told the Nautique / Centurion dealerships will come together in the long run, too.  So expect additional shake up's.

Do you think they will continue to allow Tilly's to sell Colbalt?  

distance.PNG

20 hours ago, wakesetterDD said:

I think Malibu doesn't like when dealer's sell more "other brands" than Malibus.  I believe that was the case with Wizard.  Look at how many Nautiques are in AB and BC lakes now!   Curious if Tilley's also sold another brand.

I head that while Wizard was still selling Malibus, they would take people out on the 23LSV and the G23.  After said lake test, customer bought G23 every time.

Not price comparable.  Why wouldn't Tilly's take them on a M240?   Malibu sure sells more boats than Natique...

19 hours ago, wakesetterDD said:

I find that some tow boat product line up's could co-exist, and do nicely.  Mostly due to price point.  In all reality, the G and the LSV line up are not at the same price point and can overlap fairly nicely.  Our old dealer in OH sold BU and G's and they certainly positioned them accordingly.  I find it hard to believe they could up sell someone +$40k every time.

19 hours ago, wilster said:

got an email from VS Marine in Atascadero saying that they are the authorized dealer/service provider for so cal region. 

You guys will be well served. VS Marine is awesome to work with. 

• Like 2
On 10/4/2020 at 2:49 PM, IXFE said:

I’m originally from SoCal, just down the road from the original Tillys location. My family all still live there, and I spend a lot of time there. I have lots of friends there. It’s been sad to watch the new ownership group (car dealership guys) slowly tear down what Brett Tilly built over decades. And now the final blow... these guys sell out and abandon their customers. 

You Are so right, the whole vib changed when the new management took over.

Maybe Brett just decided to retire. 

On 10/5/2020 at 12:29 PM, DAI said:

I didn’t know Tinus is no longer Malibu.  You still have Munson Ski in Volo IL and I believe one in Green Lake area.

Twin Lakes Marine in Kenosha County has been a Centurion dealer now for 2+ years I believe.  They were at the MKE boat show last year with them (my buddy bought one at the show).

It’s now Gordy’s Lakeside. They just opened up last summer I’m Oconomowoc. The message said they were named #1 dealership in NA 2 years in a row.

917AD192-A374-441F-86EE-B8D1720A4179.png

A2AAD69E-462E-4B57-ADF8-0DC6743FB685.png

Wanted to chime in as well as I have worked with VS Marine for the past 15 years I have lived on the Central Coast.  The owner Kris is probably the most chill, non-pressure guy I have ever met in the industry.  They will treat you right if you are up this way.

Brian 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, djheywood said:

Wanted to chime in as well as I have worked with VS Marine for the past 15 years I have lived on the Central Coast.  The owner Kris is probably the most chill, non-pressure guy I have ever met in the industry.  They will treat you right if you are up this way.

Brian 

Talked to Kris today. They are awesome people that know Malibu. And the service is top notch!!