Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Boat Purchase Help - 23MXZ, 24MXZ, or M220

wakestyle

We're looking at buying our first boat! We've narrowed it down to three boats in the Malibu lineup. 

I'd like to get some help in a few things and am hoping to gain knowledge. I am in constant talks with my local dealer (FANTASTIC customer service) but want some other first hand opinions.

1. Engine - Is M6 enough or should I consider LT4? We will be in Utah mainly and occasionally travel to Powell or up to Idaho. On average, we'll have 8-10 people in the boat. I tested an LT4 in the 2021 24MXZ and loved it. Didn't test the M6, but Brother-in-law just bought 2021 A22 with M5 and with 13 people in it, fully ballast out, I keep thinking the M6 is needed. 

2. Wakeview bench seat - Seems like a mixed bag on this one. If you don't get it, is it a seat that doesn't move? 

3. Extended Sun Shades - If you don't get these from factory, can you get these aftermarket? Seems like you can't due to pre-drilled holes in the boat. Also, how often is anyone using these?

4. Speakers - Do I even consider anything but REV 10's? 2 speakers is definitely plenty for me, but wondering if I downgrade on these to save a little $ and be just as happy if sound isn't a MUST have.

5. Power Lift Helm - Thinking not needed, but definitely option with swivel?

Thanks everyone in advance! Really enjoy reading everyone's experiences on here!

ahopkins22LSV

I definitely vote LT4 for those boats at that elevation with that many people. You can always add other options later, swapping an engine later is not as realistic. 

My wife and others wives on here have stated the following, “We will never own another boat without the power seat”. Check the box. 

Wakeview bench isn’t a mixed bag, I have no experience so can’t vote one way or another. 

Honestly, I’m happy with one pair of icons, you can hear them surfing and plenty plenty loud if l floating and swimming for us but everyone has a different preference and standard for stereos. It is a cost effective and fairly easy add on later though. I’d skip towers speakers all together to get the LT4 imo. 

As the wakeview bench, I have no experience with the extended shades, but even with how much we float and swim honestly see no use for them. My climate in Michigan isn’t nearly as hot as others though. 

I have a 25 LSV that has the M6. It has plenty of power, but we are close to sea level as well. 

Power helm is a must IMO. 

I have 4 Rev 8s they are fine. 

Wake view bench seat. I like it although we don't use it a ton. 

I am 5' 10", the power seat I think will allow me to see over the windshield sitting in the seat, tested this in a 2021 23 MXZ.  In our 22 LSV manual seat with the bolster flipped up not close to seeing over the windshield.  Power seat is on our order sheet for the next boat.

3 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

I am 5' 10", the power seat I think will allow me to see over the windshield sitting in the seat, tested this in a 2021 23 MXZ.  In our 22 LSV manual seat with the bolster flipped up not close to seeing over the windshield.  Power seat is on our order sheet for the next boat.

You’ll be able to sit and see ahead with the power seat. My wife’s 5’3” and it works great for her to see. But even at 6’, it’s a must have for me too.

I bought a boat off of a dealer's lot, so I wasn't able to pick my options. Looking back, I would have gone with the 2 x Rev-10's, but not necessarily for the sound upgrade. The 10's make it so there is less stuff in the way to knock my head on.

Positive note: the installation of the 8's is solid as a rock. They don't give at all when you crack the back of your head on them standing up after grabbing something from the cup-holder below. 

On the added shades: remember that they only cover the entire boat at noon. Unless you get lucky with the angle of your boat vs the sun (or do it intentionally with some sort of double-anchor system), most of the time you will be shading the water, no matter what style canopy you have.