Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21’ VLX - go with M5di or M6di? Worth 5k?

KPorter

All feedback welcome. I am about to order and just looking for owners thoughts. Good, bad, fuel consumption, maintaining speeds at different speeds, and resell too. Whatever, I am torn on this one.  Thanks in advance! 

ahopkins22LSV

Unless you are at high elevation the M5 will be great. We love it in our vtx. Fuel consumption is good, although I’ll be honest I don’t track it. I just add fuel when needed but it’s definitely not drinking anymore than I usually use. The torque and power is great. We surf at 10.6mph full ballast plus plug n play and it has no issues getting to or holding speed at about 2/3-3/4 throttle and 3600 rpms. I’ve tested it up to 11.2 and it still hd no problem but the wave just isn’t as good. I’ve also tested getting on plane fully ballasted and it will with the wedge in lift. Service work on it is super easy too. By far the easiest engine I’ve worked on. 

I appreciate the feedback. I'm in TX around 650 ASL, so elevation isn't a concern here. We do go to the Orarks to vacation, but I have no idea what elevation it is there.  

I'm a gearhead and naturally drawn to the 6.2 option, just wondering if it is worth 5k or if I would ever see the return value if sold. I get a feeling many do not care about cubic inches.  

Thanks for the feedback on cruise. I was really interested in maintaining cruise loaded down, sounds like it is fine with the 5.3.  

My other ”logic” is that If they ever make a boom for the G5 we like to foot.  I heard of some using multiple props account lack of performance all the way around. I'm thinking the extra from the 6.2 might bridge any gaps. Am I tripping? 

ahopkins22LSV

I’ve been using the standard prop option for our VTX which is the OJ 950. The VTX comes with the 1:50:1 transmission so I’d double check that for the 21 vlx because that can play a factor too. Honestly I have no reason to buy other prop other than to have a spare and I’d buy the same prop because I know if I needed it, I’d have the exact same performance. 

Don’t get me wrong, the M6 is a sick engine. I debated ordering it just because. No one ever says omg I have too much power in this boat. It’s not like you are going to be disappointed with it. Will you be able to say yeah that’s worth the up charge? Idk, only way I can see being able to answer that is demoing and I’d be surprised to see a 21 vlx with the M6 for a stock boat. Maybe just demo one with the M5 and decide on if that’s enough performance for you or if you think you want more. 

IMO, you will lose out on resale with the M6 in the 21 VLX.  Most folks but the 21 VLX over the 22 LSV because it is Malibu's entry level, budget boat.  During resale time, folks are buying these (over the 22 LSV) for the same reasons.  Adding an expensive option will raise the price and buyers on the used market will struggle to justify the extra expense.

I'm all about the big motor and have the L86 (M6) in my truck.  But unless you really need it in your application, it probably isn't the right choice for that model.

6 hours ago, KPorter said:

I appreciate the feedback. I'm in TX around 650 ASL, so elevation isn't a concern here. We do go to the Orarks to vacation, but I have no idea what elevation it is there.  

I'm a gearhead and naturally drawn to the 6.2 option, just wondering if it is worth 5k or if I would ever see the return value if sold. I get a feeling many do not care about cubic inches.  

Thanks for the feedback on cruise. I was really interested in maintaining cruise loaded down, sounds like it is fine with the 5.3.  

My other ”logic” is that If they ever make a boom for the G5 we like to foot.  I heard of some using multiple props account lack of performance all the way around. I'm thinking the extra from the 6.2 might bridge any gaps. Am I tripping? 

I have a 2020 VLX with the 410 motor.  Even with ballast and PNP completely full and 7 people in the boat; never once had a lack of torque to do whatever we need.  When not pulled down by full ballast it will run from 0 to top speed fast enough that it jerks the passengers; so we don't really do that.  In my option the bigger engines just are necessary in the 21.....I would lean that way on the 23 and up.....  I came from a 21 ft tige that had a Mag350 in it (350 hp / 350 tq) and the new Malibu blows it out of the water....

Ahhhhh......  this is a boat purchase..... and we’re discussing “need”?  Geez....  Drive an M6 vs M5 and your want will adjust your need. What % of the total new purchase price is the M6 option.... 3, 4%?   Mine is a ‘20 23 LSV......  I’ve driven both. I get it.... smaller boat but I guarantee you won’t regret getting the M6.  

Only 5K upcharge?  Going to the 6.2L is a lot more of an upcharge on both other major brands.  

The 5.3L is a very solid engine.  So I trust others who say it is more than adequate for your application.  

The 6.2L has ridiculous grunt through the midsection and is freaking awesome.  So I trust others who say you don't need it for your application.

I don't surf or wakeboard, but regardless, I do know which engine I'd get if I were clicking boxes and a $5k upcharge wouldn't bankrupt me, especially if there were other boxes I could un-click to get the needlessly redonkulous engine.  

Great feedback!! I'm impressed they use the 5.3 in the bigger boats. I suppose this is becomIng more about justifying a want versus need at this point.  

It seems like most have the same beliefs and understandings I do so far.  I will have to check on the transmission ratio.   I was told they were the same, but need to double check.  Full disclosure, we have a Denali with the 6.2 and the CTs-V with the LT4, and I know that skews my initial thoughts badly! 

The other comment about being an entry level boat is the resonating for sure.  Not planning on jumping out of this one anyone time soon (maybe 7 years down the road?)  and I just cant see there being to much ROI other than smiles from from being overpowered.  Hard to say how it will play into resell as every buyer is different.

Some of the best advice,  I really need to demo as someone stated above. For now? At this point I'm leaning toward another 6.2 for the garage unless it floors me at the lake.