Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Damper Plate / Clunking Noise

I have a 2005 Response LX.  Tonight out of the hole my son caught a clunking noise and said it sounded like it came out of the engine box.  Some on Facebook are saying it might be the tamper plate in the tranny.  This is the first time I’ve ever heard it.  I figured I’d get some input here.  Here’s a video I posted of the sound.   https://youtu.be/IzZUo2iTw9Q

I posted on your FB post - I personally would never buy a '05 Malibu without the damper plate AND bell housing updated (they are both bad) unless it was at a significant discount so I could get those addressed.  They fail far to often and are a safety issue.  Indmar will never admit it because that = recall; recalls impact profits.

Here's a link to a number of damper plate threads from this forum:

In the search above you can type in "damper plate" and there are a whole bunch there. If this is your issue, you caught it before it went south !

Steve B.