Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Canyon/Colorado Thoughts?

jjackkrash

On 10/4/2020 at 11:26 AM, Nitrousbird said:

When I bought my '18 in '18 (new), I paid 44k.  But the discounts were better then (17k off MSRP), as I got a SLT Premium Plus, Z71 crew cab, 6.2 motor and sunroof (freaking 1k for that damn sunroof).  As close as I could get to a Denali Ultimate without being one, as there weren't discounts on the Denail's then.  A Canyon Denail was only a couple thousand cheaper, and if I had downgraded my Sierra to be more like the Canyon, it would have been less.

If you know, what are you getting with a Denali that you don't get with an SLT Premium Plus?  It seems like an SLT  Premium Plus is pretty loaded.   I don't need or want any off-road extras and think the 3.0l diesel is the way I would lean regardless of trim.  

Edited by jjackkrash
3 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

If you know, what are you getting with a Denali that you don't get with an SLT Premium Plus?  It seems like an SLT  Premium Plus is pretty loaded.   I don't need or want any off-road extras and think the 3.0l diesel is the way I would lean regardless of trim.  

Which dealer are you using?

22 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Which dealer are you using?

My go to is Harnish/Puyallup GMC.  But I am just kinda looking right now and not in buying mode just yet. 

Word is GM is reducing production at a couple of US plants because of supply-chain issues.  It is a tough world to predict pricing/timing on trucks.

Edited by jjackkrash
1 minute ago, jjackkrash said:

Word is GM is reducing production at a couple of US plants because of supply-chain issues.  It is a tough world to predict pricing/timing on trucks.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2020/11/05/general-motors-reaches-tentative-agreement-canadian-lanor-union-unifor/6171915002/

Right now I can get a loaded Canyon Denali with the diesel for about 9K off (or about $41k).

I can get a loaded SLT 1500 with the diesel, premium plus, tech package (all the cameras), plus the sweet-sweet towing mirrors, and pretty much everything I might want except maybe adaptive ride control for about $10-11k off msrp, or about $51-52k.  1500 Denali's are pushing towards $60k (but I suspect I could get one for around $56-58k).  

I'd really prefer the Canyon for its size and price, but the 1500 seems like its a lot nicer and more capable, and the feedback on the lack of power is a little concerning.  

I suspect if I wait a year supply will be back to more normal and pricing may go down and maybe even a new interior will be out on the 1500, but I am just not sure.  Plus I like buying trucks and hate waiting for things.

Ugg.

Edited by jjackkrash

I just got a 2021 AT4 1/2 Ton with 3.0L the Duramax/10 Spd transmission and it tows really well.  24-26 mpg on the highway and 12 -14 mpg towing the boat.  Coming from a 2018 Sierra SLT that had the 5.3, the new truck is much more capable.

5 hours ago, Sharpag01 said:

I just got a 2021 AT4 1/2 Ton with 3.0L the Duramax/10 Spd transmission and it tows really well.  24-26 mpg on the highway and 12 -14 mpg towing the boat.  Coming from a 2018 Sierra SLT that had the 5.3, the new truck is much more capable.

How is the D-Max just rolling around town and rolling down the highway unloaded?  It sounds like people are liking it a lot from what I have been reading.  

So far so good, I only have 1200 miles on it but better fuel economy and faster than the 5.3.  Combined avg is sitting around 22 mpg.  It has the 2” factory lift so I probably loose a few mpg over the standard SLT.

30 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

Which engine did you get?  

6.2L. I debated long and hard between the diesel and the 6.2 (even considered the ram ecodiesel). I decided to go with old faithful. The finance manager said he is getting 26 mpg out of the diesel when he keep his foot out of it. He said with the 6.2 he was around 21-22 but went diesel cuz he commutes 100 miles a day. I really like the 6.2 with the 10 speed. Smooth and power everywhere. Although I really wondered about the diesel when I saw the fuel economy on my 450 mile drive home. The computer said 15.5 mpg and I was in too much of a hurry to hand calculate anything but will on our next road trip. Keep I mind, I hit 3 mountain passes and the speed limit in Idaho is 80 so 95% of my drive home was between 78-88 mph. I set the cruise for 80 in oregon, 88 in Idaho, and 78 once I hit Washington. 

I called the puyallup gmc dealer (along with every other gmc dealer within 50 miles) and they got the closest to matching Dennis Dillon on price, but they were still $5k higher. My text from their sales manager said he doesn’t know how they can sell them so cheap. Although, now that I’ve gone through the process, I have a much better understanding of where they make their money. My sales guy was good though. Picked me up from the airport and was pretty upfront about everything. PM me if you want his contact info. 

• Like 2

I'm glad you found a great deal!  $5k is worth a plane ticket and a break-in ride home, for sure.  And it looks like you got the sweet towing mirrors to go with the big engine.  Congrats.  

On 11/16/2020 at 9:44 PM, Pnwrider said:

Keep I mind, I hit 3 mountain passes and the speed limit in Idaho is 80 so 95% of my drive home was between 78-88 mph. I set the cruise for 80 in oregon, 88 in Idaho, and 78 once I hit Washington. 

AT4, right?  How was the unloaded ride quality if you don't mind me asking?  The only thing the Denali has that a loaded SLT doesn't that I might care about is the fancy suspension, but I suspect the standard suspension is just fine, and the upcharge on the Denali is pretty steep.  

21 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

AT4, right?  How was the unloaded ride quality if you don't mind me asking?  The only thing the Denali has that a loaded SLT doesn't that I might care about is the fancy suspension, but I suspect the standard suspension is just fine, and the upcharge on the Denali is pretty steep.  

An AT4, SLT and Denali can all cost the same depending on how you outfit it. 

Just now, malibu2004 said:

An AT4, SLT and Denali can all cost the same depending on how you outfit it. 

Hmm.  I don't think you can get the upgraded suspension on anything but the Denali, and that seems to come with an upcharge on comparably equipped models.  The SLT with the premium plus and tech package seems to come in a lot cheaper than an otherwise comparably equipped Denali.  But I'll confess I'm a little confused on the best way to compare features apples to apples on the build site.  

18 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

Hmm.  I don't think you can get the upgraded suspension on anything but the Denali, and that seems to come with an upcharge on comparably equipped models.  The SLT with the premium plus and tech package seems to come in a lot cheaper than an otherwise comparably equipped Denali.  But I'll confess I'm a little confused on the best way to compare features apples to apples on the build site.  

I should also say I'm building 3500 Duramax Denali and SLT and they come close in price when equipped the same. That being said I would assume smaller trucks would be the same. 

Denali comes pre packaged with all the goodies for the most part. SLT you have to add them which raises the cost quickly. 

I just booked a SLT at $76,875 MSRP plus you have to buy side steps if you want them +$800

Denali $79,445 

Edited by malibu2004
18 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

I should also say I'm building 3500 Duramax Denali and SLT and they come close in price when equipped the same. That being said I would assume smaller trucks would be the same. 

Denali comes pre packaged with all the goodies for the most part. SLT you have to add them which raises the cost quickly. 

45 minutes ago, malibu2004 said:

I have a 2020 3500 Denali.  All I got to say is you are in for a treat.    :)  

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

We went and test drove a few trucks today.  We drove both a diesel and a gas AT4 Canyon and a Gas AT4 Canyon with a long bed.  The diesel was nice and quiet and smooth and I suspect would be adequate, but I think it really does need 50 more horse power.  I think with the up charge for the diesel the gas with the 8 speed is the way I would go in the Canyon.  The long bed was also more stable and I liked the way it drove better than the short bed.  

I wanted to try out some of the 1/2 tons (especially with a 6.2 and the 3.0L diesel), but the wife thought a bigger truck would be a mistake since we already have a DRW and the point is to get smaller but still be able to tow the little ski boat.  So we we didn't bother with a test drive on the half tons.

Then we went down the road and drove a loaded up Tacoma with a leather trim package.  I gotta say, I liked pretty much everything about the Taco better than the Canyon, with the possible exception of the rear leg room (which I don't really care all that much about), and so did the wife.  It was way nicer than I remember (its been a long time since I have been in a Taco) and felt like a more solid drive train despite the lower HP/Torque specs than the Canyon.  So that is probably the way we'll go when we decide to pull the trigger.  

Edited by jjackkrash
On 10/3/2020 at 11:02 PM, Pnwrider said:

If going V6, Why not get a tacoma? It will get terrible mpg, be vastly outdated technology and option wise, and you’ll pay a small fortune for a new one (or used one). But, it will have incredible resale (best of any truck), never leave you stranded, and run forever. They are bulletproof and are great for getting around on logging roads if you mountain bike or hunt at all. I towed my old vlx with one (prob similar weight to your towing needs) and it did fine. Didn’t win any drag races and wouldn’t want to pull over our mountain passes with it, but it did fine on a 20 mile round trip tow. 

I know I really sold it, jussayin😉

Edited by Pnwrider
22 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

I know I really sold it, jussayin😉

Credit where credit is due.  :)  I gotta say I was a little surprised.  I really liked that little truck and the interior was a lot nicer than I remember.  

I took my sister truck shopping today and she ended up with a 1/2 ton Chevy with the 3.0l diesel/10 speed.  I gotta say, that is a nice powertrain.  Piles of torque and very quiet.  I could barely hear the engine when she turned it on.  Its a no-brainer on that truck, IMO.   

3 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

I took my sister truck shopping today and she ended up with a 1/2 ton Chevy with the 3.0l diesel/10 speed.  I gotta say, that is a nice powertrain.  Piles of torque and very quiet.  I could barely hear the engine when she turned it on.  Its a no-brainer on that truck, IMO.   

Everything I have read on that 3.0 Duramax is the same.  Very good engine.  And I know the 10 speed is great.  Not sure why they haven't put it in the mid-sized trucks yet, but I would be willing to bet that it will happen.

11 hours ago, RyanB said:

Everything I have read on that 3.0 Duramax is the same.  Very good engine.  And I know the 10 speed is great.  Not sure why they haven't put it in the mid-sized trucks yet, but I would be willing to bet that it will happen.

The 5.3l and 6.2L are both very good gas engines (and the 6.2L is really awesome), but man the little Duramax is really fantastic if you like that smooth low RPM diesel power curve and want 30+ mpg's running down the highway.  

I agree the 3.0L would be great in the mid size trucks, but TFLT is reporting that next year the only option for the mid size GM trucks will be the gas turbo 4 banger that is currently the base engine in the Silverado and that they are not going to use the 2.8l diesel in any vehicle.  Maybe they are worried that the 3.0l Duramax will cannibalize sales from the 1/2 tons or maybe it won't fit or maybe the rest of the truck won't handle to torque.  Either way, it is a shame, because that 3.0l would be awesome in a midsize.  But I agree with junking the 2.8l diesel because it is just too underpowered given the other options available.  

Edited by jjackkrash