Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Broken Tibia Recovery, Different Bindings?

guitarcrazy

I am 8 weeks from breaking my left tib/fib in a wakeboard crash.  I had intramedullary nail surgery, and am now walking mostly normally without crutches or boot.  I am done for the year, but looking forward to wakeboarding again.  I am using a Ronix Vault with standard lace-up bindings.  Would different bindings have had any affect on the injury?  I hit boat wake just before jumping, rotated on to my back, and board hit water vertical, instantly snapping to horizontal and snapping my tibia with it.  I am not sure if different bindings would have any impact, but the bone broke at the top of the binding where it was free to move.  I am in my early 50s and not a stellar wakeboarder, but I do enjoy going wake to wake, with a 180 now and then.  Not ready to give it up yet.  

Edited by guitarcrazy

Years ago a friend of mine, who was an orthopedic knee surgeon, said that wakeboard bindings were like ski boots of old.  The boots have to have a release mechanism, thus the ski bindings and boot systems were designed to break away from the ski when critical forces were applied.  Until that happens with wakeboard bindings, the risk of repeating what just happened to you is still there.

i butterfly fractured my femur on a flow rider in 2015 at 54 (obviously bone not in binding but a nasty break)) and have a nail as well.  dont overthink it, your healing well with the nail .   take it easy coming back, start with some skating, get a new board and bindings just for fun  and just work your way back in with one wake jumps and then one wske 180’s when ready.  i was a real head case coming back so my wife rode first just to  spur me on to get behind the boat snd finally go w2w after 20+ months.  i still suffer mentally to force my self to jump but once i do the thrill takes over

my first ride at 16 months i got a bad case of tendinitis in the previously reconstructed knee as a 24 yr old where the break occurred riding over barge boat wakes, not a promising start but it all worked out.  hurt the same bad knee last fall and made a comeback, did it again this summer and am just now w2w again 

59 and femur nail strong!!

The femur is typically more difficult than the tibia, so congrats on getting back on the board.  I do love it when you have a good jump, go high, and land buttery smooth.  I am excited to get back on the board.  I happened to meet the H.O. rep when he was at our local dealership showing new products.  He recommended I go to a larger board for softer landings, which I think I will do.  I ordered the new Hyperlite Foil, and will probably try a Time Machine surfboard.  Not sure which wakeboard to try, but I'll use any excuse to get new gear!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, guitarcrazy said:

The femur is typically more difficult than the tibia, so congrats on getting back on the board.  I do love it when you have a good jump, go high, and land buttery smooth.  I am excited to get back on the board.  I happened to meet the H.O. rep when he was at our local dealership showing new products.  He recommended I go to a larger board for softer landings, which I think I will do.  I ordered the new Hyperlite Foil, and will probably try a Time Machine surfboard.  Not sure which wakeboard to try, but I'll use any excuse to get new gear!

i ride the large HL murray with closed toe team X, luv the heal grab on those with mt skinny ankles 

1 hour ago, guitarcrazy said:

i walked no crutches at 3 months and push mowed my lawn at 4 months

at one month still on 2 crutches i sat on trailer tongue and pulled out the boat to start it, pushing it back in was a real test