Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Recommendation on Re-upholsering Seat in Wakesetter

GlennT

We have a seat cushion in our 2010 Wakesetter where the vinyl is starting to crack (it's the middle seat in back ... about 18" x 18"). We are going to replace it during the off-season.  Can someone recommend a place they had good results from and was able match the vinyl or use the same stuff the factory uses?  Approximately what should doing this one seat cost?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Upload a pic and dimensions to http://www.copycatupholstery.com. They got back to me quickly with a quote on our 2012 Wakesetter. We plan to have the rear seat back, both lockers and both transom seats redone this winter. The quote was $1070 plus shipping which I thought was reasonable. 

Will they match the vinyl so that it looks original?

7 minutes ago, mrothwell said:

Will they match the vinyl so that it looks original?

you will never be able to match the vinyl exactly due to fading, stretching, etc.  You can get darn close, such that it might not be noticeable, but there will be a difference.

I have never used an online upholstery service, though I have seen others on here that have had success with it.  My concerns with it are:
Shipping: These seats are big and bulky and cost a lot to ship both ways.

Support: if something is wrong, or a seam comes undone, you have to ship it back (at somebody's expense) and wait for it to come back.  

I would suggest looking for an upholstery shop in your area.  There are likely several.  Try craigslist and FB marketplace.  Call the local dealers and see who they use.  See if there are any auto restoration shops in your area - they will have a preferred upholstery service they use.

My upholstery guy works out of a hangar at the local airport.  His main gig is refurbushing airplane interiors for a guy that flips planes.  He does boats and other stuff to fill in the schedule.  Does awesome work for reasonable rates.  

27 minutes ago, kylesullens said:

you will never be able to match the vinyl exactly due to fading, stretching, etc.  You can get darn close, such that it might not be noticeable, but there will be a difference.

My upholstery guy found 99.99999% match in new vinyl for the sunpad on my 99 RLX.  Only I can tell it is reupholstered, and only because one of the stripe colours is ever, ever so slightly different.  I posted the colours in another thread, and pics too I think.  Find a good local upholstery guy would be my vote.  But if it is only one 18x18 cushion then shipping to Gabe might be a play, too.

Gabe is the way to go.  He did a seat that split on me early this year, and I will be having him do two more that are just starting to show signs of splitting at the piping over the winter.

The worst part about replacing the skins is the staples.  Those dang staples.  I recommend just sitting down on the couch with one and watching TV while doing it; will take a good hour to pull them all with some needle nose pliers.  An electric staple gun with stainless staples is an absolute must when replacing them.