Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04 vs 08

DenaliG

On 10/4/2020 at 11:49 AM, DenaliG said:

Is the 05 383 HH the better motor - reliability speaking? Compared to that of the 04 380 HH?

Just the opposite.  383HH is probably the least reliable motor Malibu has used in the past couple of decades.  Not to say it is unreliable, but in comparison to the other motors.  I wouldn't be the least afraid to run it.  I'd be afraid of the damper plate exploding in an '05 though, as that is a common problem if the plate and bellhousing haven't been updated.

Oh! VERY good info to know and be aware of when looking in the used boat market. I want to pull the trigger soon and trying to make the right decision as this will be my first boat - though I’ve been on and helped work on a few inboards but they are all 2015+ Malibu’s or natique Gs so I have little knowledge of the older boats.. I just can’t justify getting such a large loan for my first boat 

I love the 04 in the OP, but 1, it is yellow.. it’s growing on me but still yellow.. and 2, ~900hr slightly scares me though it looks very well maintained and such a clean boat.. It is a northern boat (MI) so I’m not sure if that plays a large role in anything..

Edited by DenaliG
13 minutes ago, DenaliG said:

Oh! VERY good info to know and be aware of when looking in the used boat market. I want to pull the trigger soon and trying to make the right decision as this will be my first boat - though I’ve been on and helped work on a few inboards but they are all 2015+ Malibu’s or natique Gs so I have little knowledge of the older boats.. I just can’t justify getting such a large loan for my first boat 

I love the 04 in the OP, but 1, it is yellow.. it’s growing on me but still yellow.. and 2, ~900hr slightly scares me though it looks very well maintained and such a clean boat.. It is a northern boat (MI) so I’m not sure if that plays a large role in anything..

Just so you're aware, that 900 hour mark is nothing to be afraid of if the boat has been maintained well.  Being in Northern MI has nothing to do with anything as far as I'm concerned, again, if it was maintained properly.  

1 minute ago, Slayer said:

Just so you're aware, that 900 hour mark is nothing to be afraid of if the boat has been maintained well.  Being in Northern MI has nothing to do with anything as far as I'm concerned, again, if it was maintained properly.  

Thanks slayer, that is reassuring. It is Also reassuring that it is so clean so hopefully it has been maintained just as well. I plan on looking at the boat in person here in a 2 weeks and hope I can get it on the water but unlikely as it probably has been winterized being that far north in MI. 

I have a better feeling about the 04 vs the 08 i posted. 

3 minutes ago, DenaliG said:

Thanks slayer, that is reassuring. It is Also reassuring that it is so clean so hopefully it has been maintained just as well. I plan on looking at the boat in person here in a 2 weeks and hope I can get it on the water but unlikely as it probably has been winterized being that far north in MI. 

I have a better feeling about the 04 vs the 08 i posted. 

I agree.  If I were in the market for a boat like that I'd be looking more closely at the 04.  I think I mentioned this before, but I have a friend with an 05 whose got 1,900+ hours on it.  Granted it's the Monsoon 350 and not the HH, but still.....similar engines.  He has not had the damper plate failure, thankfully.  It's a great boat either way and the one in question here appears to be well cared for. 

10 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I agree.  If I were in the market for a boat like that I'd be looking more closely at the 04.  I think I mentioned this before, but I have a friend with an 05 whose got 1,900+ hours on it.  Granted it's the Monsoon 350 and not the HH, but still.....similar engines.  He has not had the damper plate failure, thankfully.  It's a great boat either way and the one in question here appears to be well cared for. 

Yes you did mention and I appreciate it! Like you said the one is question is the well cared for one. sure, id like to be in a newer boat and do all the needed things to bring that 08 back to life but I assume the maintenance record isn’t very good.

the 04 it is - I just have to figure out how to make this yellow boat, I guess, less yellow! It’s a great looking boat, just never thought I’d ever think of owning a yellow boat..