Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Platform Rub Rail - Part Number Needed


SCMike

Recommended Posts

Hey Crew!  Unfortunately my platform was damaged at the marina, and i'm working to source the parts to fix it.  I've got the Seadeck pad on order from Malibu, and they have the rub rail for $69, but the shipping for the rub rail is $328 due to the shape of the box needed.  Im wondering if this is a standard part that i can pick up from somewhere other than Malibu?  The Malibu part number is 4790117.1, and boat is a 2018 23LSV. 

Thanks,

Mike

 

IMG_4276.HEIC.jpeg

Link to post

I assume the marina is paying for it?  Just send them the bill.  Unless you buy something that is rolled up tight, the shipping is going to be bad for a single piece of rub rail that is what - 20ft long?

If the marina isn't paying for it, just bang it back in place and maybe cut a tiny piece out if it got stretched.

Link to post
1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

I assume the marina is paying for it?  Just send them the bill.  Unless you buy something that is rolled up tight, the shipping is going to be bad for a single piece of rub rail that is what - 20ft long?

If the marina isn't paying for it, just bang it back in place and maybe cut a tiny piece out if it got stretched.

I cant prove the marina damaged the boat, as I noticed it about halfway through the day.  I didn't even attempt to bring it up to them.  The box is 10ft long for the platform, so yeah, its a bit of a hassle to ship it.  I'd like it fixed right, so looking to source a new piece.  

Link to post

OK.  so if the box is 10ft long then they are likely supplying 2 10 ft pieces?  Problem with that stuff is to get it into a box any smaller requires more pieces since you can't really coil the stuff up and stick it in a smaller box.

On your existing rub rail - how many seams are there?  I would guess just 1.  I would verify with Malibu how many pieces/seams there are with the replacement piece.

I would think that you could work with your dealer on the shipping thing - see if Malibu will just toss the box inside a new boat they are getting so they don't have to ship it  dimensional weight.

Edited by oldjeep
Link to post

You might try taking a section off and go around to local boat dealers/fiberglass repair shops to see if they stock it.  I'd find it hard to believe that Malibu is the only builder that uses that rub rail.  I think @oldjeep has the best idea ask your dealer for some help.

Link to post
On 9/30/2020 at 11:46 AM, oldjeep said:

OK.  so if the box is 10ft long then they are likely supplying 2 10 ft pieces?  Problem with that stuff is to get it into a box any smaller requires more pieces since you can't really coil the stuff up and stick it in a smaller box.

On your existing rub rail - how many seams are there?  I would guess just 1.  I would verify with Malibu how many pieces/seams there are with the replacement piece.

I would think that you could work with your dealer on the shipping thing - see if Malibu will just toss the box inside a new boat they are getting so they don't have to ship it  dimensional weight.

Great suggestion on getting the rub rail shipped with a boat!  I’m going to suggest this. 
 

thanks!!

Link to post
On 9/30/2020 at 12:20 PM, dcarl said:

You might try taking a section off and go around to local boat dealers/fiberglass repair shops to see if they stock it.  I'd find it hard to believe that Malibu is the only builder that uses that rub rail.  I think @oldjeep has the best idea ask your dealer for some help.

My boat is 10 hours away, so I won’t be able to grab a section and shop around.  I agree, I think Oldjeep has the best suggestion.  I’ll try this out. 

Link to post
Just now, SCMike said:

My boat is 10 hours away, so I won’t be able to grab a section and shop around.  I agree, I think Oldjeep has the best suggestion.  I’ll try this out. 

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Link to post

Honestly I would take the trim off and bend/tap it back straight, little polishing and it will look good as new. Id be willing to bet if you had new pieces shipped, they would show up bent anyways.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...