Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Armstrong Foils and Boards

Raleigh

Well so I got so stoked after my last two bu foil sessions this week on my Slingshot 76  FSURF with WF-1 Foil Board that I’m looking for more action. 

As I transition to salt water mode I’m thinking the corrosion-free Carbon and Titanium in the Armstrong lineup would be better suited For the ocean. Tail wings, fuse and mast are similar in length and shape but would be way lighter than the sleek yet burly Slingshot. 

Considering: 

Foils: Armstrong 1550 and 2400 foil wings (1550 would be primary wake foil, 2400 for waves 3+ back) I’m 6’ 210lbs 

Board: Armstrong SKT 4’11” board (largest surf foil board they make).

Anyone have experience with Armstrong foils for wake sport?  I’ve been tweaking my foil setup and feel like I was just getting it dialed when temps started dropping.

:surfing: Loyal to the Foil!  

Edited by Raleigh
  • 4 weeks later...

Jump on the Facebook foil page. Lots of activity there. Seamore serious (I think that’s his handle) is a distributor for Armstrong and Steve tuscher (A 25LSV owner but not sure if he’s on this site) is now dabbling. I’m in the same boat. I have an 84 slingshot with a 4’10” dwarfcraft and a 71cm mast.  I’d really like to check out an 1850 and 2400 but I want to go with the shortest board possible. I think it’s a 3’10”. Problem is I want to demo one before buying. Nothing like having to take that leap of faith based on marketing hype for a big ticket item like that. I’m just not convinced that an Armstrong is worth 3x the price of SS. Or that it will make me 3x (or even 2x) better. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 4:02 AM, isellacuras said:

Jump on the Facebook foil page. Lots of activity there. Seamore serious (I think that’s his handle) is a distributor for Armstrong and Steve tuscher (A 25LSV owner but not sure if he’s on this site) is now dabbling. I’m in the same boat. I have an 84 slingshot with a 4’10” dwarfcraft and a 71cm mast.  I’d really like to check out an 1850 and 2400 but I want to go with the shortest board possible. I think it’s a 3’10”. Problem is I want to demo one before buying. Nothing like having to take that leap of faith based on marketing hype for a big ticket item like that. I’m just not convinced that an Armstrong is worth 3x the price of SS. Or that it will make me 3x (or even 2x) better. 

Nice! Seamore will let you try them out prior to. 

I ended up getting the Armstrong 2400/1850/1550 combo with a 72 mast and 60 fuse. I have the 232 and 300 tail. I found the 1550 with the 300 to be the best combination for me behind the boat so far (gonna winterize this week as I head to the beach now). It’s just much more snappy than the 76. The 300 tail makes it more locked in which I like for my skill level at the moment. 

Coming from the Slingshot (Ride Engine and Phase Five same manufacturer) the Armstrong foils are much better. You lose some of the locked in feel with the metal foils but it’s just way more responsive and forgiving. I feel like the foil mast is an extension of my spine in the water! Like I’m in Avatar!! 

The 72 mast is perfect for the wake. I ended up buying a 60 for the sandbar surfing. Tried the slingshot in the surf with the 46 and 61 masts as well and though I was able to clear the sand, the 76 just doesn’t have the same lift or flex as the Armstrong. I’ll probably end up with the 85 mast as well for doing the wing foil. After all this I could have bought a efoil or a pair of jet skis but oh well! 

The slingshots/ride engine/phase five are fine for a basic beginner foil but the metal construction is heavy and the wings get super sharp and feel much more dangerous compared to the carbon Armstrong. Thought it was marketing BS but Armstrong is legit. The carbon is better. 

In the surf at the beach I’ve only been able to ride the 2400 and the infinity 76. Not able to get up and ride the 1550 or 1850 yet. I tried the 2400 and the 1850 behind the boat and found the 1550 to be much better. I got up on both the 2400 and the 1850 but it didn’t feel right. I could even pump out of the wake a few boat lengths and back on it! I’m sure as my skill level improves the 1850 will work well too and I may find the 1250 in my quiver. I wouldn’t recommend the 2400 or 1850 to anyone with a wake setter. I’m riding my 25 LSV at zero ballast with wedge 1 above lift, speed 11.2 so there’s a lot more room for wave creation. 

I also watched video and realized I was riding the 1550 mast low behind the boat, so I am sure my opinion will change. 

I do recommend the 1550 and 300 to anyone who is looking for a top of the line foil to wakesurf! Armie said it himself that the 1550 is the go to wake surf foil and I agree! Could be the one foil quiver for most (but don’t get yourself you’ll end up buying more :)

As far as boards go the 411 is definitely a bit too big for the wake. I like the slingshot board even though its inferior construction. Considering getting a 3’er and I’ll try and go used that route.

Edited by Raleigh