Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to winterize Malibu Boat

Joshh8120

Hey guys, this will be my first winter as a boat owner so I want to make sure I winterize it properly. I have a 1999 Malibu Wakesetter DD with the Chevy 350. Could someone walk me through the steps needed for winterization? 

If you're mechanically inclined and pay close attention to detail then it won't be a problem.  "how do you winterize" has been asked and answer so many times you may not get much help.  Use the search and the resource section and if you run into a specific problem or question post it up and folks will help.

Ditto - see the resource section. We've been doing our own winterization with various boats for decades. We still make a list of all the steps and check them off

Fortunately we live in a temp zone that allows us to ride in the winter sometimes so we will "winterize" several times during the winter.

4 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

One comment on that video - they skip an important step that will bite you in the rear with some boats.  When you remove the block drains and manifold drains, jam a screwdriver in the hole to make sure that your drain has not blocked during the draining.  I've winterized a couple of boats that have been full of crap that would have left a gallon of water in the block had I not probed the drain holes.

Co-sign the above statement:

I had a frost coming in overnight early October last year so I ran up to the lake just to drain everything to be safe before I was able to fully winterize over the weekend... read comments similar to the one above after the fact and got worried that I wasn't completely dry. Frost didn't turn out to be as bad as anticipated so I was OK - but when I got back to the lake over the weekend and took a flat head to the block, a ton of water came rushing out. Dodged a bullet with this follow up advice.

One other comment about that video for the OP.  Since you have a 99, your process will be somewhat different.  There is likely no crossover hose, just drains in the bottom of manifolds.  If you have a Merc engine there may be additional drain points on the raw water pump and fuel cooler if you have one.

I think your best bet is to find someone local who knows what they are doing to walk you through it the first time.  Might find a crewmember to help you out.  I wound up doing 5 boats one year, 2 of them were crew members who were doing it for the first time.

Edited by oldjeep