Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom on T22/A22

SandS

Hi folks.  I've searched the forum and haven't found the exact advice I'm looking for.

I ski behind my 210 Chris Craft.   My family (me included) wants to start surfing so I'm in the market for a surf boat.  I haven't given up on skiing so I want a boat that has a ski wake as good or better than my Chris Craft. I typically ski at 34mph and 15' off.  Will a 2018 or new T22 and/or A22 have atleast as good a wake as what I'm used to? If not, am I limited to the diamond hull malibu models?  Are there any videos out there of the T22/A22 ski wake?  

2 hours ago, SandS said:

Hi folks.  I've searched the forum and haven't found the exact advice I'm looking for.

I ski behind my 210 Chris Craft.   My family (me included) wants to start surfing so I'm in the market for a surf boat.  I haven't given up on skiing so I want a boat that has a ski wake as good or better than my Chris Craft. I typically ski at 34mph and 15' off.  Will a 2018 or new T22 and/or A22 have atleast as good a wake as what I'm used to? If not, am I limited to the diamond hull malibu models?  Are there any videos out there of the T22/A22 ski wake?  

I have the OG T22 (2016) and I would not recommend it as a slalom boat.  the wake is like a 8" tall brick wall/ramp, at least skiing at 32-34.  Slower it's softer but bigger.  

Not sure how the newer boats are but I'd be surprised if they were better.  Making the wake smaller hasn't really been on the agenda.  Only caveat may be that running a power wedge in lift mode could help (I have the manual floating wedge so I'm ignorant in that regard).

Edit: here's a vid of my 100% not very good slalom skills behind the T22 for your entertainment

Edited by shawndoggy

It’s been and long long long time since I’ve skied behind an I/O but assuming the Chris Craft isn’t a typo for correct craft, than I think any vdrive wake is going to be an improvement for you skiing wise. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Only caveat may be that running a power wedge in lift mode could help (I have the manual floating wedge so I'm ignorant in that regard).

Our dealer didn't recommend going over 25mph with PW3. I don't remember seeing anything in the manual about it but I do remember them saying that.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

It’s been and long long long time since I’ve skied behind an I/O but assuming the Chris Craft isn’t a typo for correct craft, than I think any vdrive wake is going to be an improvement for you skiing wise. 

@ahopkinsVTX No, it's not a typo, it's an I/O Chris Craft.  Your comment is very helpful and what I was thinking was the case but wanted confirmation.  

16 hours ago, formerathlete said:

Our dealer didn't recommend going over 25mph with PW3. I don't remember seeing anything in the manual about it but I do remember them saying that.

Noted...I'm too risk-averse to try something the dealer says might break a $80K boat so

• Like 1

SandS,

I had a 2011 A22.  I know it's not the same hull style, but back when I slalomed I would go through the course behind it at 32-36mph at 15off no problem.  Is it going to be bigger than a 210. . . absolutely.  Can you the ski at 15 off 34mph. . . yeah.  You will notice a big bump when crossing the wake though.  If you're a die hard skier, you more than likely won't be happy.  I know this is going to sound like a broken record, but go demo and run the boat through the course to get an idea before purchasing.  You may find it acceptable and you may not.  

1 hour ago, ajf4242 said:

SandS,

I had a 2011 A22.  I know it's not the same hull style, but back when I slalomed I would go through the course behind it at 32-36mph at 15off no problem.  Is it going to be bigger than a 210. . . absolutely.  Can you the ski at 15 off 34mph. . . yeah.  You will notice a big bump when crossing the wake though.  If you're a die hard skier, you more than likely won't be happy.  I know this is going to sound like a broken record, but go demo and run the boat through the course to get an idea before purchasing.  You may find it acceptable and you may not.  

Thanks ajf4242!  I've never even ran a course, so I'm not a die hard.  

No problem.  I'm probably going to get blasted for saying this, but in my opinion if you're not skiing the course you can ski anything 23' and smaller just fine.  It will have a bump back there, but it's not like it can't be done.  

1 hour ago, ajf4242 said:

No problem.  I'm probably going to get blasted for saying this, but in my opinion if you're not skiing the course you can ski anything 23' and smaller just fine.  It will have a bump back there, but it's not like it can't be done.  

I hope you don’t get blasted because that is exactly the advice I was looking for. Thanks!

16 hours ago, ajf4242 said:

I’m with @ahopkinsVTX and @ajf4242. I skied behind a 186 CC I/O for decades and every v-drive I’ve skied behind is better. I haven’t tried behind a big surfboard focused one, though, so I believe there will be a point where that won’t be true. Once I owned a DD, everything else seemed terrible for slalom.

Edited by braindamage