Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing


Recommended Posts

Hi All, 

I will be winterizing my '99 SSLXI soon up here in Canada. I was thinking about either professionally shrinkwrapping it or buying a reusable tempo/boat shelter to keep it covered from the elements this winter. Either way, it will be in the freezing cold this winter, I just want to keep it protected from the snow and ice. Any experience or recommendations? 

Also, is it better to winterize it with a full tank of gaz and use stabil? 

Thanks!

Link to post

I used a Transhield cover on the winter time. Worked great while storing my sunsetter outside in Calgary. 

 

I always stored mine with a full tank and stabil

74964066_841883793892_142701074388615168

Edited by asp13
Link to post

I used a Shelter Logic shelter for 20 years successfully,  but you have to be vigilant with snow loads.  People who bought my home 2 years ago still have it up.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post

if covered storage is available, it is worth every penny, especially if snow and ice are common.  It doesn't take much to destroy a temporary shelter or a boat cover.  If the snow gets in and you don't discover it for days/weeks/months, the damage will be done.

I store my boat with a full tank of non-ethanol premium, no stabil.

Link to post
7 hours ago, electricjohn said:

I used a Shelter Logic shelter for 20 years successfully,  but you have to be vigilant with snow loads.  People who bought my home 2 years ago still have it up.

I also use shelter logic structures, just put the 2 malibus in them today. Been usi g them since 2004, with one exception, and that year was crazy snowy, and the shrink wrap split at a seem, allowing some snow in, so lots of extra cleaning that year.

We get plenty of snow and freezing temperatures, make sure its set up right, should not be an issue. If you go the shelter logic method, get the round or the barn style. Do not use the peak style, you will have to clean that off with every snow storm. 

Link to post
7 hours ago, electricjohn said:

I used a Shelter Logic shelter for 20 years successfully,  but you have to be vigilant with snow loads.  People who bought my home 2 years ago still have it up.

I had the round style. Served me well and was trouble free.

Edited by electricjohn
Link to post

Currently i have 3 of these, all are the 11 ft peak i think, but 12x24 and 12x28. 

https://www.shelterlogic.com/shop/sheltercoat-custom-shelters-barn

I have never had to clean the snow off that model, even over a foot of the heavy wet stuff slides off. I pick the darker color cause it gets s little warmer inside on a sunny winter day, which helps the snow slide off.20191025_171903.thumb.jpg.ca20aa438fb00e897b832b7156f4567d.jpg

This is from last year, so sad i had to put them this year on a 78 degree day, leaves still on the trees too.

Link to post

As to fuel. The full tank strategy was primarily to prevent condensation in metal tanks. We don't have metal tanks so it really doesn't matter from a condensation perspective. I prefer to use non-ethanol and have as little as possible so I can fill with fresh in the spring. Never worried about it much and never had an issue in a dozen years.

Link to post

You should use non-ethanol in your boat whenever humanly possible, but especially when you store it.  No matter how much stabil (or other additive) you use, ethanol will break down over time.  And when that happens, your fuel system is toast.

The only rig we use ethanol (retail) gasoline in is my wife's daily driver because, well, it is a daily driver and the fuel never sits in the tank for extended periods.  

Getting non-ethanol is more expensive and a hassle sometimes, but is a no-brainer when considering the damage that sh!t can do to your fuel system.

I use the local commercial card-lock for diesel and clear gas, and we keep ~200 gallons of fuel on site.  In case of emergency, pandemic, riots, elections, and any other event that disrupts life.

Link to post

Meh.  I store around 100 gallons of E10 over each season in various cars/cycles/boats/snowmobiles and power equipment and don't add anything to it.  E10 has been a fact of life around here for decades.

Edited by oldjeep
Link to post
46 minutes ago, kylesullens said:

You should use non-ethanol in your boat whenever humanly possible, but especially when you store it.  No matter how much stabil (or other additive) you use, ethanol will break down over time.  And when that happens, your fuel system is toast.

The only rig we use ethanol (retail) gasoline in is my wife's daily driver because, well, it is a daily driver and the fuel never sits in the tank for extended periods.  

Getting non-ethanol is more expensive and a hassle sometimes, but is a no-brainer when considering the damage that sh!t can do to your fuel system..

10 seasons and the only time mine sees E0 is when I am renting a lakehouse and have to buy fuel on the water.  That's it.  I bought off the original owner who kept it on a lift.  There was no marina on his water and no E0 stations in his area, so I'm pretty positive it lived only on E10 its whole life.  Zero fuel issues, other than the stupid gas float is inaccurate as hell, but I think we can all agree E0 wouldn't fix that...

  • Like 2
Link to post

We can jot buy e0 in our area except for racing premium for about $12/gal. So, we just put the boats away however they end the season. I do prefer to fill he tank in the spring with fresh gas, so i don't mind storing with an empty tank. Been doing it hat way since 2004, no problems at all so far.

Link to post
2 minutes ago, asnowman said:

We can jot buy e0 in our area except for racing premium for about $12/gal. So, we just put the boats away however they end the season. I do prefer to fill he tank in the spring with fresh gas, so i don't mind storing with an empty tank. Been doing it hat way since 2004, no problems at all so far.

That is the same thing I do on everything.  Store it with whatever happens to be in it and top it off in the next season. 

Link to post

At seasons end, I run boat till it starts stalling out of E10, put a gallon of E0 with double stabil in, ride to the launch and call it a season.  When my gas gauge hits "E" of E10, I add a can of sea foam to the tank and know I have a hour or two left before running the E0.

Link to post
9 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

At seasons end, I run boat till it starts stalling out of E10, put a gallon of E0 with double stabil in, ride to the launch and call it a season.  When my gas gauge hits "E" of E10, I add a can of sea foam to the tank and know I have a hour or two left before running the E0.

that is quite a cocktail.

Link to post
Just now, granddaddy55 said:

best stabil is non ethanol fuel, it does not break down for years

Fake news.  It is good for 6 months and that is about it.  ALL fuels degrade with time.

Link to post
Just now, Eagleboy99 said:

Fake news.  It is good for 6 months and that is about it.  ALL fuels degrade with time.

then how come my harley i never ride starts right up no issues with more than two year old gas  

Link to post
7 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

then how come my harley i never ride starts right up no issues with more than two year old gas  

yes, all fuels break down over time.  Depending on how it is stored, clear gas will last for years.  I had JD tractor sit for 5 years and fired right up with old gas in it.

Ethanol will break down. I am happy for the folks that have never been impacted by gelled fuel in their lines. maybe the ethanol mixture in the Pacific northwest is different than other areas.  but I have been burned (pun?...) by ethanol going bad in several smaller engines and will avoid it whenever possible.

  • Like 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...