Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with Fuel Gauge - 2004 Wakesetter VLX

NClakelife

Excited To be a new owner of 2004 Wakesetter VLX.  This site has been amazing with information!!  I am no mechanic but willing to learn how to do some things myself....

Current issue:  fuel gauge is showing FULL all the time when the boat is on. The fuel  tank is half full currently but not getting an accurate reading. 

From what I can tell, the gauge is getting power. Then the boat turns on, it registers full and all the other gauges are working correctly. 

Any help diagnosing would greatly be appreciated!!

Thank you 

If the fuel gauge moves at key on, I would check the fuel sending unit in the tank next.  Remove it, move the float up and down, then see if the gauge reacts normally.  A stuck float or faulty sending unit is common and could cause your issue, but it is not the only thing that could.  Be careful when servicing anything on the fuel tank to avoid the possibility of fuel leaking into the bilge from an improper seal.

• Like 1

Thanks for next steps @csleaver.  I'll be sure to be careful of fuel leaking into the bilge.  Is the sending unit located under the removable piece of the floor?  I have not looked under this yet.

Thanks for all the advice!!

You have the small digital (black and gray) console, correct?

What does the gas reading on that say?

On mine, the digital display is accurate but the analog gauge decides to work on occasion. Most of the time it does what it wants.

I've just been using the digital display for my gas readout until I eventually fix the analog gauge.

My console has 3 "circle" displays.

1.  Cluster:  oil pressure, engine temp, volts and fuel

2. MPH

3.  Perfect pass

Where would I find the digital fuel display?

Hope this helps and thanks for walking me through all this....

My 2006 had the fuel sending unit die, always reporting 1/2 full. It's much more likely to be the sender than the gauge. A new sender should be able to be found for about $50 https://smile.amazon.com/KUS-USA-Water-Level-Sensor/dp/B00Y831J7S/

To test the sender, remove the center panel, remove the screws holding in the fuel sender, remove the fuel sender, move the float up and down and see if the gauge responds. Once you snip the wires, you can additionally check the circuit closed and open.

Ensure that you insulate / shrink wrap any connections you add here, as the center panel has been known to contact the wires (also good because it can potentially get wet, and is potentially near fuel fumes)

The fuel tank level sender is a probe type made by a company called Wema.  They are made in many lengths to accommodate the fuel tank and have 8 to 10 internal magnetic reed switches in them to add or delete it's electrical resistance reading (33 to 240 ohms).  33 ohms being full and 240 being empty.  A constant full reading would mean all reeds are stuck (unlikely), or there is a ground fault between the gauge and sender.  The gauge operates at 5 volts DC supplied by the MMDC.

Quick update:  Removed the center panel.  Mine had 4 screws. 2 were in plane site.  If you follow the panel it goes under the seat/speaker support and there you will find the other 2 screws on each side. You can then pull panel forward. I had to wedge a couple screw drivers to get it started...

Removed the fuel tank lever sender - mine was made by Wema.  When I moved the  float up and down, the fuel gauge did not change positions.  Checked the connections and they were filthy.  Cleaned and cut the wire to for a new connection, re-tested and same result.  Next, hooked-up the volt reader and couldn't get the required (33 to 240 ohms).  33 ohms being full and 240 being empty.  

Ordered new fuel tank lever sender.  Will follow-up after I get it installed.

Thanks again for all the guidance.  Huge help!

Installation was a success and working as intended.  Now putting things back in place.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y831JUU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7 inch

Dang, what site did you use?

What do you suggest for:  insulation / shrink wrap for the connections?  I have already sealed the wire connectors with liquid tape and electrical tape. 

Thank you

• Like 1
On 9/29/2020 at 2:34 PM, smileysteve said:

My 2006 had the fuel sending unit die, always reporting 1/2 full. It's much more likely to be the sender than the gauge. A new sender should be able to be found for about $50 https://smile.amazon.com/KUS-USA-Water-Level-Sensor/dp/B00Y831J7S/

To test the sender, remove the center panel, remove the screws holding in the fuel sender, remove the fuel sender, move the float up and down and see if the gauge responds. Once you snip the wires, you can additionally check the circuit closed and open.

Ensure that you insulate / shrink wrap any connections you add here, as the center panel has been known to contact the wires (also good because it can potentially get wet, and is potentially near fuel fumes)

Thanks for the pointer on this Steve - looking to replace my sender on a 2000 Sunsetter, however it is at the upholstery shop, does anyone know what length of a sender I should pick up?   

14 hours ago, DarenStegelmeier said:

does anyone know what length of a sender I should pick up?   

I used a 7" on the 2006 Vride. I measured the old one first (2 separate winter weekends)

• Thanks 1