Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swim Platform


fishermen1918

Recommended Posts

I know this has been talked about however my Swim platform is starting  to have issues with black stuff coming off onto people feet!!

Can others advise me what good!! What they are using .

People say this cannot be cleaned so I'm gonna just chaneg this for a good winter project

I was thinking gator step or Aqua- step ?? not sure 

possible send some PICS !! and your thoughts PLEASE

 

thanks  in 

Link to post

I had this exact same problem with mine.  it was really bad the first time we used it this summer, but progressively got better with frequent use to the point where it wasn't really a problem towards the end of summer.  My guess is that it would continue to do the same thing forever unless replaced 9be bad at the beginning of summer and then get better with use), so we decided to just replace it.  Everything I have read about it says that it cannot be "fixed", just needs to be replaced.  I actually just did this last weekend.

So, getting the old one off is a bit of a pain, as the adhesive is strong.  Just had to scrape it off in batches.  Whole removal process probably took a couple of hours to get the majority off and clean the platform of old adhesive.  You might get lucky and have some bigger pieces come off to make it go faster.  I did not let it sit in the sun or use a heat gun/hair dryer to warm it up, but I have read that would make it easier to remove.  Just used a scraper and some elbow grease, it wasn't all that bad.  I actually took the opportunity to install a ladder under the swim deck, as I will have some people on the boat that do not love getting onto the deck without it. 

As for installing new, I used SeaDek.  They had a template that worked for my boat, so that part was easy.  I would guess it is the same template for yours, but not 100% sure.  The one i got was SKU 23130, so you can take a look at that on their website.  They sent me a template at first that was labeled as my year, but it was too big.  it does take a long time to get the finished product.  From ordering to getting it was probably 6 weeks, but the customer service was really good.  I checked into Gatorstep as well, but cannot recall exactly why I didn't go with them.  In any event, the SeaDek was very easy to put on, and it looks great.  I think it cost around $350 or so.  I don't have any photos, unfortunately.  Good luck!

  • Like 1
Link to post

Ballast 

52 minutes ago, AZRhino said:

I had this exact same problem with mine.  it was really bad the first time we used it this summer, but progressively got better with frequent use to the point where it wasn't really a problem towards the end of summer.  My guess is that it would continue to do the same thing forever unless replaced 9be bad at the beginning of summer and then get better with use), so we decided to just replace it.  Everything I have read about it says that it cannot be "fixed", just needs to be replaced.  I actually just did this last weekend.

So, getting the old one off is a bit of a pain, as the adhesive is strong.  Just had to scrape it off in batches.  Whole removal process probably took a couple of hours to get the majority off and clean the platform of old adhesive.  You might get lucky and have some bigger pieces come off to make it go faster.  I did not let it sit in the sun or use a heat gun/hair dryer to warm it up, but I have read that would make it easier to remove.  Just used a scraper and some elbow grease, it wasn't all that bad.  I actually took the opportunity to install a ladder under the swim deck, as I will have some people on the boat that do not love getting onto the deck without it. 

As for installing new, I used SeaDek.  They had a template that worked for my boat, so that part was easy.  I would guess it is the same template for yours, but not 100% sure.  The one i got was SKU 23130, so you can take a look at that on their website.  They sent me a template at first that was labeled as my year, but it was too big.  it does take a long time to get the finished product.  From ordering to getting it was probably 6 weeks, but the customer service was really good.  I checked into Gatorstep as well, but cannot recall exactly why I didn't go with them.  In any event, the SeaDek was very easy to put on, and it looks great.  I think it cost around $350 or so.  I don't have any photos, unfortunately.  Good luck!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOU TIME !! 

Link to post

Here is before and after from our 2005, night and day difference, and probably one of my favorite upgrades i have done to one of our boats.

20180811_143723.thumb.jpg.17d3f004b24ace29f8fb70c9f0cdbf5b.jpg20180530_142726.thumb.jpg.30b73b5d612909b3df592415b99adf74.jpg

@AZRhino was right, getting the glue off is a little tedious, but getting it nice and warm certainly helps.

I went with gatorstep fwiw. Install was a breeze.

Edited by asnowman
Link to post
18 hours ago, asnowman said:

Here is before and after from our 2005, night and day difference, and probably one of my favorite upgrades i have done to one of our boats.

20180811_143723.thumb.jpg.17d3f004b24ace29f8fb70c9f0cdbf5b.jpg20180530_142726.thumb.jpg.30b73b5d612909b3df592415b99adf74.jpg

@AZRhino was right, getting the glue off is a little tedious, but getting it nice and warm certainly helps.

I went with gatorstep fwiw. Install was a breeze.

I have about another season before I have to do this to my RLXi.  The gator step looks great!!  

Link to post
5 hours ago, Slayer said:

I have about another season before I have to do this to my RLXi.  The gator step looks great!!  

Don't wait! that rubber mat was hard and slippery, and i really hated the black footprints.  

  • Like 2
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...